OLDEST HOUSE ON RRB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Sears Kit, 1912 Dutch Colonial. I added the garage about 13 years ago.

304PatriotsRd007.jpg

KZ1000 said:
Another Sears Kit, 1912 Dutch Colonial. I added the garage about 13 years ago.

304PatriotsRd007.jpg

Your home is sharp dude.Very nice! Hey, I see your user name is Kawasaki related. Ya got one?
I have a 1982 KZ1000R1 Eddie Lawson Replica.

my house isn't old, but this is the house my parents lived in when I was born. The Reverend Timothy Stevens Parsonage in Glastonbury, CT. Built in 1694:

timothystevenshouse.JPG

Wow! That's very cool!!

largek9 said:
kingfish254 said:
Here is my 1873 Savannah Row House, (and of course you all have seen plenty of photos of my wife's courtyard).

Really nice King ! Is the courtyard we see in your post in the rear of this pic ? Three storys ? Man I love old houses ! :)

Thanks. Yes, our hidden courtyard is between our row house and our carriage house in the back. My workshop is in the bottom of the carriage house.

kingfish254 said:
Wow! That's very cool!!

ya it was a neat place to live and very nice town. Lived there till I was 8 and have fond memories of it. It had a circa 1800 barn too, but I saw recently that it is gone.

I found some history on the house; apparently the town elders were willing to build Reverend Timothy a standard 20' house, but if he was willing to pay for the nails, iron and glass, they would build him a 40' long house. He opted for the larger house. It was considered a mansion in the late 1600s, oddly enough, since my 6'-1" father had to duck going through every doorway. It is a small house.

It's really fun doing the "genealogy" and history on an old house. I found a newspaper clipping that stated that Simon Guckenheimer was building our row of four sister houses for a grand total of $28,000 ($7,000 each).

Your home is sharp dude.Very nice! Hey, I see your user name is Kawasaki related. Ya got one?
I have a 1982 KZ1000R1 Eddie Lawson Replica.[/quote]

Yes I have a 1979 KZ1000 I bought new and still ride very rarely

Mine was built between 1905 and 1910 the best I can tell from the fire map drawings of my town, My grand parents house 3 blocks up the street is between 1902 and 1905 and was built by the railroad for railroad housing.

The oldest record the historical society can find of our family house is 1872....but the farm has been in our family since 1737! :wink:

I know where the remains of the pre-Civil War house are........that darned General Sherman :x :x

Rockit! said:
The oldest record the historical society can find of our family house is 1872....but the farm has been in our family since 1737! :wink:

I know where the remains of the pre-Civil War house are........that darned General Sherman :x :x

1737 - WOW!

What are some ways people have found info on their homes? The most details Ive found on line about mine was that it had a front porch all the way cross the front before the foyer was added and the parlor door was closed off and that a 3 gen family lived in the house in the early 50s.

Try to find old Sanborn Fire Maps. They help.
I went down to the courhouse and pulled all of the sales recods going back to 1948. The row of houses that we are part of stayed in the same family from 1873 until 1948. We have a very active Historic Savannah Foundation and the Georgia Historical Society here, so I was able to go through their records as well. I even went through the City Directories to record every person that lived on our row from 1873 to present times.

Sanborn Fire Maps is how I got the original footprint and a general idea of when it was built. Thinking about hitting the town library some time this week

Once I found out the name of the builder of our row of houses, I was able to find these two ads that he had in the back of two books. One from 1870 and another from 1871. He built our row in 1873.
1870MCMurphyBuilderAd.jpg

1871MCMurphyBuilderAd.jpg

kingfish, love the row house! we vistited savannah 3years ago, i would move there in a heartbeat! absolutely fell in love with it! we stayed on tybee island and came to town everday. did the history tours,hauted tours, etc. the cobblestone streets are amazing! oh yeah, my home built in 1868. :wink:

My house is from 1852. Used to be a corner candy shop and at another time a barber shop! We call that section if the house the store" as one might guess lol. But when me and my dad started redoing the store we found old mercury dimes and a bunch of old coinage! It's pretty awesome to find that stuff in your home. My house was also built before indoor plumbing and electricity! Lol just crazy to think that way and our basement floor is a dirt floor! I'll put a pic of the fireplace mantle which is the original mantle to the house with the year on it! But where I live it's not even that old! My town was founded in 1681 a year before Philadelphia....I like history lol

Back