Old Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, here is my first bike in a lot of years and I'm curious what it is. It's also a test of first attempt to post photos so hope it works OK. I think it is a Schwinn of some sort but I cannot find a serial # and I have looked everywhere. I think it may have been repainted sometime in its life and maybe that's why I can't see any #'s. The head tube is drilled for a badge but did not have one when I got it.
IMG_1232.JPG

The bars are Torrington, Ther rear brake is Shimano, S-2 rims, Front axle says made in West Germany, Pedals stamped made in Germany. Seems like a strange mix of parts to me. The grips are aftermarket.
IMG_1082.JPG

Here's a photo of the stamping on the crank.

Any help IDing the bike would be appreciated. It was rusty and crusty when I got it and have had a good time fixing it up and riding it. It is a very solid and smooth old bike. I have over 1,000 miles on it since this time last year, an excellent exercise machine!! Thanks again!!

It definitely is a schwinn look on the rear drop out for a serial number cool bike build it how you want it and ride the heck out of it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The frame and forks are Schwinn, judging by the fork crown and the smooth welds on the head tube. The chain guard brackets and dropouts (where the rear wheel bolts to the frame) look like Schwinn also. The seat stem and handlebar stem look like Schwinn also. The chain guard doesn't look Schwinn, but a closer look at it will tell. Everything else looks like it was changed out over the years. But it's a rider!

As for age, that frame could be from a few different decades. Schwinn used that tried and true frame style for years. The left rear dropout should have the serial number.
ImageFetch.jpg

From there you can check the date of manufacture. I'm guessing around 1968.
http://schwinncruisers.com/serial-number.html

Thanks Wildcat, The dropouts, bottom bracket, and head tube do not have a serial #. I think it's been repainted and was a pretty good job when redone....possibly filling and smoothing over any #'s. I guess I could sand into these areas to see but kind of hate to mess up the paint.

The 54 on the crank does not necessarily indicate year? Of course I realize this could have been changed out.

Yes she's a rider! First bike after mucho years and I have over 1K miles on it. Kind of attached cause it reminds me of my Schwinn from teenage years.

Dating is not that critical....just kind of fun to try and find an approximation. Thanks again for your reply :thumbsup:

The cranks aren't Schwinn, so won't help with the year. Probably made in 54 cranks though. You are right, you would have to scrape the paint to see the number and the paint job looks good, so it's not that important. It is an American made bike!

Back