NEW KLUNKER IN TOWN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peatbog said:
Is it a clunker if you have a 3-speed and drum brakes front and rear? Just askin'...

i pretty much call everything that doesn't have fenders a klunker! except bmx bikes of course, even though they are kind of related. :D

Peatbog said:
Mine will be an urban klunker because it will be for mainly riding to work on pavement, and so will probably have slick tires.

Sounds cool PB, you got a vote from me last year, try to do it again :wink:

I looked at buying that crankset. But the lack of smaller rings on the double steered me away. They are sharp looking though.

Peatbog said:
Mine will be an urban klunker because it will be for mainly riding to work on pavement, and so will probably have slick tires.

Sounds like there will be a few similar bikes this year. Mine will be using a looptail Big Boy BMX frame and slicks..........mainly cause I already have everything I need..................unless we can cut, hack and weld................then it will be a whole other direction :wink:

I'm hoping for regular rules. I can cut/weld anytime I want, but for a build-off I feel like the stock frame rule helps even the playing field and entices new builders.

This was my first klunker. Those bars bent the first ride, haha. I am on this bike in that transition klunker vid. That was a fun day!
223186_10151115141278692_2011017012_n.jpg

The schwinn was fun, but the frame bent. I measured the bb height when I first built it, and it was 13.5", and now it's 11" :shock: Also, tire clearance was tight, and the headset never stayed tight...

I threw some 80's Shogun super long wheelbase lugged frame together for the last race, but that thing was a pile. No tire clearance, headset always coming loose.

I like shredding on a back to basics bike. No shocks, no gears, just a coaster, some big bars and big tires! But bending parts and having stuff come loose all the time is annoying. Also, racing is racing, whether you a klunkin or riding a real bike, and lighter and stiffer is gonna be faster. Lars smoked everyone at the last race by over a minute on the transition FULL FACTORY klunk, LOL. He did have a pretty dialed set up, running 2.5 exo casing minion front, 2.2 larsen TT in the back, super tall gearing, and pedalling his ... off. Most everyone else was running old schwinns and worksman with 2.5 DH casing minions.

Just built this:
251420_10151341237773692_993952333_n.jpg

222615_10151341237033692_1681007308_n.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx- ... e/16203481
29"er klunk! A buddy that works at kona got me a P2 4130 fork, the 4130 moto bars, bmx stem, cartridge headset, fsa carbon post and seat all got robbed out of parts bins or off bikes this one replaces.

Pretty stoked. It needs knobbies, badly. Took it for a quick rip around my local trails, and it is very stable and confidence inspiring. Takes work to bunnyhop it and jump it, but it mobs through rough sections. I think it's gonna be fast.

It weighs 30 lbs on the nose. It's gonna get tires, cranks, and wheels, should save quite a bit... hoping to have it closer to 25 lbs.

I've used the top one, found one on a Walmart Mongoose bike, works fine. The other one I've seen for a while and thought about using, but I'd be just as happy with the top one.

Peatbog said:
That is a cool bike, thad. Interesting how your first bike "sagged" after awhile. I would have never guessed it would bend that far.

And speaking of building clunkers, has anyone ever used this type of thing to convert a one-piece crank bottom bracket to a three piece:

31UGeQUVG8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How about this type of set up:

41qbkzdKBoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have used the Truvativ versions of the bottom type on 5 different bikes. Very good.

I would rather have BMX tubular 3-piece cranks, than either of those options. The top one is around $15, and a good option if you have square taper cranks you want to use, but they are not very strong. If you are not going to be getting too rough on the bike, this is a reasonable solution. I'm not a fan of those press in euro adaptors. They tend to creak, and by the time you are into the adaptors, bb. Yes, they work, but it's an adaptor to use a weaker part, when there are cleaner options. New cheapie 3 piece are $40, http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/ ... ranks.html, and they are so common, you should be able to find em on junker bikes. A set of used profiles is $50 or so....

That yellow schwinn is sick. If it was my bike:
profiles or similar cranks, with an imperial style sprocket, all black.
Rattle canned yellow rims. Minion tires with yellow highlights.
Yellow diamond bmx seat.
Black moto bars. BMX quill.
And some yellow oury and DX pedals to set it off.

thad said:
I would rather have BMX tubular 3-piece cranks, than either of those hokey adaptors. Yes, they work, but it's an adaptor to one a weaker part, when there are cleaner options. New cheapie 3 piece are $40, http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/ ... ranks.html, and they are so common, you should be able to find em on junker bikes. A set of used profiles is $50 or so....

That yellow schwinn is sick. If it was my bike:
profiles or similar cranks, with an imperial style sprocket, all black.
Rattle canned yellow rims. Minion tires with yellow highlights.
Yellow diamond bmx seat.
Black moto bars. BMX quill.
And some yellow oury and DX pedals to set it off.

The TruVativ adaptors are certainly not what I'd call hokey. Two of the bikes I've used them on have had more than 2 years of hard off road action with no problems. The other 3 bikes are on-road and have given no problems either.

Peatbog said:
I've gone through several bike ideas for the build-off and have discarded them. This klunker idea is the first one I am really excited about.

Same here! Cruisers and freaks have been on my mind, but I'm hyped about my klunker.

Is it wrong to like the Transition klunker bike?
I hardly ever see a production bike I'm interested in, especially cause I have the means to build my own...
But when I saw that I thought "I might have to get one of those"...
It kind of goes against what I believe in... But... I might have to get one of those...

oct

Peatbog said:
bean said:
Sounds like there will be a few similar bikes this year. Mine will be using a looptail Big Boy BMX frame and slicks..........mainly cause I already have everything I need..................unless we can cut, hack and weld................then it will be a whole other direction :wink:

Do you have a picture of that frame? It sounds cool.

Here you go...................enjoy :wink:
DSCF3510.jpg

october said:
Is it wrong to like the Transition klunker bike? ...

Your asking a forum of bike hoarders if it's okay to like a bike :lol:

I know what you're saying though, I thought they were drool worthy in the looks department when I posted them, I would love to have have one but unless I get more storage space around here and a pay increase I'm stuck building my own version for the time being :mrgreen:

Awesome bike too Thad !!! That's one of the bikes I was referring to in the first place. Looks like a blast in the video !!! Was it all frame bending or the fork too after the ride ? I just wish there were more spots to ride like that around here ...

Back