New Coaster Brake Hubs, where do they come from?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old coaster hubs are almost always made with carbon steel, closer tolerances, and often of better design, but even then, it was expected that for the most part they would be used by kids, or doddering old people, not 175 lb. 28 yr olds sliding and bombing ditches like a child of 10. :mrgreen:

deorman said:
The old coaster hubs are almost always made with carbon steel, closer tolerances, and often of better design, but even then, it was expected that for the most part they would be used by kids, or doddering old people, not 175 lb. 28 yr olds sliding and bombing ditches like a child of 10. :mrgreen:
Or people who just want simple transportation without having to figure out derailers and all that other stuff that comes with a multispeed. I don't slide, ditch bomb, barnstorm, or anything else like that. I just need a simple, functional bike that can mount my favorite kind of huge baskets and go shopping with.

deorman said:
they would be used by kids, or doddering old people, not 175 lb. 28 yr olds sliding and bombing ditches like a child of 10. :mrgreen:
hahhahahahhaha. So using them as your only brake on a 16 mile down hill is not wise? :wink:

Hey, I always keep 1 or 2 around just 'cause I like them, but I often add a front handbrake :wink: . If kept clean and greased, even the Chinese junk will work as a basic grocery getter.

cman said:
deorman said:
they would be used by kids, or doddering old people, not 175 lb. 28 yr olds sliding and bombing ditches like a child of 10. :mrgreen:
hahhahahahhaha. So using them as your only brake on a 16 mile down hill is not wise? :wink:
Yeah, we don't have 16-mile hills around here.

I have Velosteel hubs for sale on my web site and on Ebay: elegantwheels.net and bikeguy on Ebay. I have also posted some rebuild information on the web site. I have hubs, parts, and upgraded axle nuts from Porkchop's. I have built many wheels with this hub and had very good reports from my customers saying that they really like the way they work. I have even rebuilt F&S hubs with the Velosteel parts, they seem to be perfectly interchangeable. Another cool thing about them is that they take a standard track cog, so you can use lots of different grades of cogs from suppliers like origin8, Surly, and even Phil Wood!

bikeguy said:
I have Velosteel hubs for sale on my web site and on Ebay: elegantwheels.net and bikeguy on Ebay. I have also posted some rebuild information on the web site. I have hubs, parts, and upgraded axle nuts from Porkchop's. I have built many wheels with this hub and had very good reports from my customers saying that they really like the way they work. I have even rebuilt F&S hubs with the Velosteel parts, they seem to be perfectly interchangeable. Another cool thing about them is that they take a standard track cog, so you can use lots of different grades of cogs from suppliers like origin8, Surly, and even Phil Wood!

Bikeguy, can the velosteel hubs be respaced to 126mm using regular spacers? I'm not sure that the locknuts will allow for that,plus I'm worried about the brake-arm reaching the left chainstay if it's respaced? Any ideas? Getting a hub from you *might* help me simplify my singlespeed project...

regards,
-rob

Back