New Coaster Brake Hubs, where do they come from?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what the title says. Where do you get new coaster brake hubs? I've tried Google and all I could get was Amazon or eBay links and no guarantee that any of them were actually brand new. Same with the local bike stores; the companies they advertise only stock freewheel hubs.

Ratfink1962 said:
I can get a new one at my LBS. Probably a Shimano or a Hi-Stop.

But... my opinion... why buy a new one?
Find a good ol used coaster brake hub, rebuild it if needed, and run it for another 40-50 years.
If I get a nice frame to customize, I'll need a new hub so I can convert it from multispeed to single-speed. Most of the scrap yards down here don't seem to have bikes, or if they do then I don't know where they are.

Ratfink1962 said:
Post a want ad on this site, no telling what will pop up.

Oh and to answer your original question of where do new coaster brake hubs come from.... That would be China :|
If they're anything like the carbs for the classic VWs that come from China, at least they'll be better than the ones that come from Brazil.

actually the last new coaster hub i bought was a shimano and when i ordered just the hub it was made in japan and really nice quality

Im thinking that if just one company started making super high quality coaster brakes, then id have to make an investment - either that or ill have to engineer one myself.

think old school muscleman or nd with brand new friction plates, smooth, enginereed, laser cut, sealed bearing goodness. the type of stuff that would get pro guys thinking.

i believe that SA makes a new kickback with a coaster option...

karfer67 said:
or get a good old single red line bendex i love those hubs

Bendix made millions of these. Easy to find, inexpensive, reliable and a snap to rebuild. Sure, they aren't new, but that red stripe looks cool. :wink:

Velosteel looks like the real deal. I have heard that they don't match up to the 40's-50's quality but what does?
Does anybody have experience with this hub in its currant production?

I think i remember reading that even shimano stopped making their single speed coaster hubs themselves, supposedly KT makes them for shimano now and I believe it, the hubs are the exact same except for the name on the brake arms. I havent had any bad experiences with KT hubs.

lobsterboyx said:
Im thinking that if just one company started making super high quality coaster brakes, then id have to make an investment - either that or ill have to engineer one myself.

think old school muscleman or nd with brand new friction plates, smooth, enginereed, laser cut, sealed bearing goodness. the type of stuff that would get pro guys thinking.

i believe that SA makes a new kickback with a coaster option...
For that to happen, we'd need to lose all of the spandex set baggage- the belief that multispeed bikes are somehow superior, that hand brakes are somehow better than coaster brakes, and that you have to cut down on as much drag as possible to squeeze every last ounce of torque out of your muscles. That and people willing to take the long way down instead of going head first down a cliff.

That having been said, getting a new wheel could work if I could find one with the hub on. Most of the ones I see on the web look like they don't have a hub mounted, or have a freewheel hub instead of a coaster brake one.

I am in the process of starting a hub & crank company as we speak. Coaster brakes have been looked at. This is totally doable but the price would be high. Who's willing to put up for a $200-$300 coaster hub when there are plenty of good used ones around?

As far as I'm concerned, multi-speed bikes are superior for most uses, but inferior function doesn't stop manufacturers from making a wide array of custom styling parts, frames, forks, bars, etc..

Back