New bike at Walmart... this is... ummm... bad

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This bike is aimed at the people that want a retarded color combo without doing it themselves. Or atleast I don't like it.

i think i will go buy two of them.
paint rims black,swap tires; so ,
both tires are same color on one bicycle.
remove the "FIXIE" decals.these would
be perfect to throw in the back of the bus,
to ride while on tour.won't need to cry if they get stolen.

kngtmat said:
:lol: Let the buying cheap and selling high roll. :lol:

:roll: Really? :roll:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2563067868.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/bi ... 75729.html

So was the original price of $175 like this second guy said he paid for it?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/2560773631.html

I hope that there is some vigilante justice done on this local Craigslist, I hate when I see people doing this, sure, they can sell whatever they want and the buyer should be educated, but this is just wrong in my book.

These bikes are BRAND NEW to my Walmart and the $99.99 price is not a sale or clearance price. And as for the guy that sais this is "super light" haha, compared to what? He also says best brakes he's ever had, again, compared to what? Maybe this was a HUGE upgrade for this guy.

My hobby is flipping bikes for profit, but I agree that this is uncool.

yoothgeye said:
bmxerpete said:
How long until some hipster wannabee kid that has no real clue how to ride a fixed gear gets splattered on one of these and his parents sue Walmart? I can't believe their army of lawyers let this one through.

It's set up on the freewheel side from the store, you'd have to flip the wheel on your own, that's how they can get around the liability.

We have all seen the quality assembly clerks that Wally World employs. How much you wanna bet that it isn't always set up on the free wheel?

Saw this at my local walmart it was on the higher shelf so I couldn't really check it out. The price I believe was $175. They only had one. But for that price I rather build one! :D

People been chattering about this lately elsewhere online. Overall it is pretty cheap parts, as you'd expect on a dept store bike.

There is also another $150 fixie that Wal-Mart sold: the Genesis track bike. More like a road bike (drop handlebars). Web says not available now, seems to have been for most of 2010 though.

---------

I like that Wal-Mart sells stuff so cheap; it does put downward price pressure on other companies.
When 29" MTB's were all still commanding premium prices, W-M came out with a 29" MTB for only a couple hundred bucks, and suddenly all the other companies began coming out with lower-priced models also. Yes, the W-M twenty-niner is cheap & junky--but it proved the point that a 29" MTB really doesn't cost much more to make than a 26" does.

I *kinda* want a 4"-tire MTB. Though I don't really have the money, or the storage space, or anywhere off-road nearby to ride it.... :>|
The ~$1000+ prices of putting together a Pugsley are keeping me safely from the temptation (I don't want the 2-speed Sun one).
When Wal-Mart comes out with one however, I may just be sunk.

It's kinda funny, On my way to a service call I saw a kid riding one of these today leaving a WM. It still had the front wheel cardboard so I new they just bought it. There was a hill going up over the RR tracks and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the free wheel side by the way they were peddling. It looked odd and I thought to myself that was a weird color combo with the different colored wheels and tires. And now I'm looking at this thread. Coincidence? I think not. Just one man's observation.

we had to make a wm run this eve;
they had four of them $129.99 ea.
the whole band wants one now.guess,
we will buy six of them soon. :lol: :lol:
maybe next place they will be $99.99 :mrgreen:

udallcustombikes said:
We have all seen the quality assembly clerks that Wally World employs. How much you wanna bet that it isn't always set up on the free wheel?

All the bikes I have seen from them come in the box with the rear wheel already on (chain tensioned), the stem loose to turn the bars to fit in the box, the pedals off, and front wheel off. I guarantee this one comes shipped on the freewheel side, but if I was putting them together... :wink:

KJV said:
we had to make a wm run this eve;
they had four of them $129.99 ea.
the whole band wants one now.guess,
we will buy six of them soon. :lol: :lol:
maybe next place they will be $99.99 :mrgreen:

I would think they would price match their own stores. You need a store number?

Bendix said:
I can't imagine that stopping any decent personal injury lawyer, bike manufacturers have been sued repeatedly (and successfully) for much less imaginable situations........ :wink:

....like frame-mounted shifters,perhaps? 8)

Like I said earlier, Matchbox get my attention more than Hotwheels (though it use to be the other way around) but I always look over the HW for any Treasure Hunts for my collection. Now if only the Treasure Hunt Hotwheels were worth anything anymore, maybe I could trade them for bike parts.

Back