Need 5/8" Saddle Clamp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am working with a pre-war JC Higgins/Elgin frame that I picked up on eBay a few weeks ago. The seat post is 5/8" (of course), "L" shaped bent post. I would like to mount an old style hairpin seat on the existing post but, the saddle clamp on my seat is 7/8". I have been looking on eBay and other places to find a 5/8" saddle clamp but, no joy.

In my frustration, I am now asking for help...."help" !!

Anyone have a 5/8" inch saddle clamp for sale? Or, is there another way that most of you attach the saddles to your bike? I see the pics all the time and I enjoy the look of the laid back saddle. I DO NOT have easy access to a welder to build up the existing post (if that is even a good idea?).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Thanks to B607 and sensor for your input. I figured there was an easier way to fix "my problem" so, I guess I need to do more hunting. Winter is tough for finding bikes around here. I will just have to keep my eyes open for a few items to show on eBay. I appreciate the info.

Psycle Harry said:
Thanks to B607 and sensor for your input. I figured there was an easier way to fix "my problem" so, I guess I need to do more hunting. Winter is tough for finding bikes around here. I will just have to keep my eyes open for a few items to show on eBay. I appreciate the info.

wald or somebody made a thick shim for that, older shops may have some laying around. i can send one if you don't find one locally.

Bendix said:
wald or somebody made a thick shim for that, older shops may have some laying around. i can send one if you don't find one locally.

I did see in one of the earlier post where a guy made a shim out of a piece of pipe. I was checking my junk yesterday looking for a chunk that might fit. All I had was conduit and that isn't thick enough. As for LBS, they are 100 miles away and "cityfied" and aren't much on helping with the small stuff.

What do you think the "thing" is called? A saddle clamp shim?

sensor said:
check theflyingdingos post in the classifieds.hes got a few seats on there that should have the right binder and i think theyre about $3-$7 for the seats

Thanks. I PM's TheFlyingDingo to see if he can help. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Back