My Latest Selling Experience.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ought not feel bad about selling that bike. He lost whatever he paid on it to "storage fees". However, that frame was pretty hot; i'd have to be dead or pretty danged sick to pay for it & then never claim it. I hope he's all right.

whats a Carmudgeon? how bout breakin out the oreos and milk and polish it off with a group hug?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ought not feel bad about selling that bike. He lost whatever he paid on it to "storage fees". However, that frame was pretty hot; i'd have to be dead or pretty danged sick to pay for it & then never claim it. I hope he's all right.

Yeah, I don't anymore. Shoot man, that was back in late January, I listed the frame on here again, but as local pick up only, and my thread was sidetracked by guys that wanted to buy it some weeks before, complaining that I should have contacted them first, they missed the LOCAL PICKUP only.

But yeah, awesome frame, it's just sitting in the garage, I'm thinking of building it up for this years rrbbo and then selling it after, had no idea that those bikes were so pricey when ordered from worksman.

whats a Carmudgeon? how bout breakin out the oreos and milk and polish it off with a group hug?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about a good ol' fashion BEER SUMMIT?!
beer_summit_cheers1.jpg

I do NOT like to take $100 bills. Direct them to ATM for some 20s. Have read that 100 is most counterfited (sp?) bill out there. I don't want to take the chance from someone I do not know. My buddy even got one from his bank once. His hun was tied up for I don't know how long when his other bank noticed it and turned it in to the Feds.

I had some bikes on CL for sale recently, Most of them were cheap bikes that I pick up and try to flip for a few extra bicycles funds. Out of 6 bikes I had on there I only sold 1 and most of these bikes are in riding condition and don't need anything. I have several at $40. The one bike I did sell was a vintage Tyler folding bike I sold to a guy that drove all the way from Nashville to my house to buy it for $50. Then a few days later I got a call from a man that wanted a 24" light blue Charleston 3 speed bike I had on there for his 13 yr. old daughter. I had it priced at $40 and the guy talked about how happy his daughter was to see the bike for sale and she really liked the older bikes.
Well I thought about it for a day or so and called the guy back and told him I wanted to just give the bike to his daughter. And I would meet him in town to give it to him. Well I had a day before I had to meet him so I got the bike out and took it completely apart and serviced everything. Bearings, Chain, Pedals , And hubs. I also went ahead and put a bell , light and basket on it and made it look cute for the little girl. The next day I meet the guy and gave it to him for his daughter. The guy nearly had tears in his eyes he was so happy to get the bike for her. And couldn't believe the work I had done on the bike and said He couldn't believe there was still people out there willing to do things like this for people. As I satin the parking lot waiting to meet him, He came pulling up in an old beat up Chevrolet pick up truck and I knew I had made a good judgment call. He also asked if I would text him my address because his daughter wanted to send me a thank you note with a picture of her on the bike.
The guy said his daughter helps them raise chickens for eggs to sell for money. And he handed me a dozen yard eggs that his daughter wanted me to have.
It felt really good to help someone out that may not have it as easy as yourself.
I was very poor as a child and I got my first bike at 13 years old, and it was a bike I found in the garbage and pieced it back together.
I thought about that when I was working on the bike.
I kind of encourage everyone here to try to do the same thing. It doesn't have to be a real expensive bike I picked this bike up in a bundle of 6 bikes I picked up for $100 And I had already mad half of that off of just 1 bike.
And I dressed it up with extra parts I had laying around.
Since then I have sold 3 more bikes for a total of $200 so I'm actually $100 to the good on the bundle and I also have hopefully made one little girl very happy.
JKent

Now that's a good bike story right there!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!
BRAVO!!

I had some bikes on CL for sale recently, Most of them were cheap bikes that I pick up and try to flip for a few extra bicycles funds. Out of 6 bikes I had on there I only sold 1 and most of these bikes are in riding condition and don't need anything. I have several at $40. The one bike I did sell was a vintage Tyler folding bike I sold to a guy that drove all the way from Nashville to my house to buy it for $50. Then a few days later I got a call from a man that wanted a 24" light blue Charleston 3 speed bike I had on there for his 13 yr. old daughter. I had it priced at $40 and the guy talked about how happy his daughter was to see the bike for sale and she really liked the older bikes.
Well I thought about it for a day or so and called the guy back and told him I wanted to just give the bike to his daughter. And I would meet him in town to give it to him. Well I had a day before I had to meet him so I got the bike out and took it completely apart and serviced everything. Bearings, Chain, Pedals , And hubs. I also went ahead and put a bell , light and basket on it and made it look cute for the little girl. The next day I meet the guy and gave it to him for his daughter. The guy nearly had tears in his eyes he was so happy to get the bike for her. And couldn't believe the work I had done on the bike and said He couldn't believe there was still people out there willing to do things like this for people. As I satin the parking lot waiting to meet him, He came pulling up in an old beat up Chevrolet pick up truck and I knew I had made a good judgment call. He also asked if I would text him my address because his daughter wanted to send me a thank you note with a picture of her on the bike.
The guy said his daughter helps them raise chickens for eggs to sell for money. And he handed me a dozen yard eggs that his daughter wanted me to have.
It felt really good to help someone out that may not have it as easy as yourself.
I was very poor as a child and I got my first bike at 13 years old, and it was a bike I found in the garbage and pieced it back together.
I thought about that when I was working on the bike.
I kind of encourage everyone here to try to do the same thing. It doesn't have to be a real expensive bike I picked this bike up in a bundle of 6 bikes I picked up for $100 And I had already mad half of that off of just 1 bike.
And I dressed it up with extra parts I had laying around.
Since then I have sold 3 more bikes for a total of $200 so I'm actually $100 to the good on the bundle and I also have hopefully made one little girl very happy.
JKent
Great work @FastForward!

Luke.

I flip just like most everyone else, to make a profit and buy more bikes/parts from you guys. The endless chain. However, I know a lot of the flippers in my CL marketing area. When they contact me on a bike and are coming to buy it, I let them know that I do not plan on reducing my price. If they have any intention whatsoever, they might as well not come and waste my time or theirs.

On another, note, I had some guy (known flipper) come over 2 days after selling one of his bikes for big $. I already reduced the price three times on a bike I was selling to get it out, and when he arrived after we discussed the price, he attempted to try and bring the price down even more. I refused, citing he just made a chunk of change on what he sold, and my price was already well below market. Bike was purchased at my reduced price, shown at a bike show the next day (within 14 hours), won first place and claimed it as though he restored the bike from what I am told, and listed it for sale 2 days later for 3x what he paid me.

An artist friend of mine ($15k for a painting) told me always provide a first rate product and command a very exclusive price for it. People who think /know it is worth it will always fork over the cash and will refer friends if they are happy. I often don't mind paying more if I am getting more. I now charge a premium, provide premium goods and services and I now don't hurt for money.

- Gigmata

Latest posts

Back