My Latest Selling Experience.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some thoughts occur:

Brand-new, pristine Meridians cost <$250, shipped. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-this-worth-it.82250/#post-798268

You bought the trike for $60, you had doubts it was worth that much, and you think it's "CHEEEEP made junk".
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-this-worth-it.82250/#post-798268

Now, I know all the flippers are going to cry about how their cost doesn't matter, and they "gotta make money", but the fact is, this guy drove out to your place and gave you green money yesterday, allowed you to triple your investment, and you're online today insulting and complaining about him. Calling him "cheap" while complaining that he was 94cents short.

I'm not trying to attack anyone, but how about some gratitude? If you hold your customers in such contempt, maybe trike-flipping isn't the "career" for you.

Last edited:
Dang man, you actually bitched over 1$ and change, profitting over 100 percent profit!!!? I believe in capitalism but being a christian.....
I get 150 to $200 into a bike and have it stolen from me for $100!!!!!
I am not saying anyone should lose money, but, when your profit margin is so high, I don't understand how public venting helped you?
With all that profit go buy a bushel of sour grapes.

I think some of you are mistaken about who is holding who in contempt. This isn't about how much profit is made, its about not being an idiot. If you're going to buy something, show up with the right amount of cash. Even if the guy couldn't get enough money out of the ATM (which was not stated, but could have been the case), he was originally ready to write a check, so he could have written one for the difference. I would have done the same thing.

Dang man, you actually bitched over 1$ and change, profitting over 100 percent profit!!!? I believe in capitalism but being a christian.....
I get 150 to $200 into a bike and have it stolen from me for $100!!!!!
I am not saying anyone should lose money, but, when your profit margin is so high, I don't understand how public venting helped you?
With all that profit go buy a bushel of sour grapes.

My profit is my business. Got to Walmart 1.00 short and see if they let you slide. Keep your smart comments to your self. Come to my area and tell somebody you put 200.00 in a bicycle and they will tell you that you are stupid and deserve to have it stolen so the theif can sell it for what a bicycle is actually worth. Maybe 15 to 20 bucks on a great day.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is sliding downhill FAST. Everybody has their own way of handling their business. If you don't like someone's opinion, best not to confront them about it. It never goes well.

Everybody take a deep breath and think about rust, patina, old barns, fat tires, chrome, and other such things.

Healthy discussion is a good thing for RRB. We have a very friendly atmosphere here, but many times we (myself included) have taken the "keep the peace" approach to the edge where we discourage any opinion that appears negative or contradictory. I have grown to appreciate commentary that is different from my own opinion. Bicycle808 and I have different opinions on flippers; Wheelhorseman and I get different levels of enjoyment from selling bikes/trikes; CeeBee and I have had different opinions on many topics. While each of us may not see eye to eye on every subject, I still value each of these RRBers contributions to our cool community of rat bike geeks. If we were all the same this would be one boring forum. :soapbox:

I just think there's something wrong with you people on the Eastern side of the country. :21:

Exactly, lol.

We keep it mellow in California.

best coast.

My profit is my business. Got to Walmart 1.00 short and see if they let you slide...

Your profit becomes other ppl's business the moment that you broadcast it on the internet.

If I'm buying something at Walmart for $175 and I only have nine twenties, I'm pretty sure they'll pull a five out of the register. Any transaction will involve at least one buyer and at least one seller. It's at least as much the seller's responsibility to make change as it is the buyer's responsibility to bring exact change.

Going back to the Walmart analogy, dude could've got a brand new Meridian for $248 from WallyWorld. They'd have gladly made change for him, and they probably wouldn't show blatant disrespect for him on a public forum the next day. You can do things "your way" all you want, but ppl can have whatever opinions we want about "your way". As long as we're sharing our opinions, I believe that respect is still an important value in this world.

I just think there's something wrong with you people on the Eastern side of the country. :21:

We're not from the East. We're from the South. It's the place that people from the East go to retire. :cool:

I have been to dozens of buyers homes and ALWAYS taken the proper amount of money. I dont "expect" them to have cash change. The wife does all her bills and we rarely keep cash unless we see a need to keep some handy like going yard saleing etc. Say what you will that guy was wrong. I dont need a bunch of yankees advising me about whats right or wrong.

I have been to dozens of buyers homes and ALWAYS taken the proper amount of money. I dont "expect" them to have cash change. The wife does all her bills and we rarely keep cash unless we see a need to keep some handy like going yard saleing etc. Say what you will that guy was wrong. I dont need a bunch of yankees advising me about whats right or wrong.

If you're bringing cash to buyers' homes, then it sounds like you're prepared to make change. Bravo. It's probably a good idea for a used trike salesman to equip himself with a 10, a 5, and a handful of 1's in case the customer doesn't have exact. Customer service is a lovely thing, and it will also remove the "oh, crap... no change" leverage from a buyer's attempts to haggle.

Yankee or not, I never said you were wrong. I think your posts in this thread demonstrate a level of disrespect, and a lack of gratitude. It's up to you to decide whether it's right or wrong to be disrespectful and ungrateful.

There are a lot of idiots and scammers and greedy money grubbing SOB's out there in today's world. If you are going to buy and sell on Craigs or ebay or whatever,you WILL run into them. It is a fact of life.
As far as showing up in a $50,000 truck......sometimes the bank owns those trucks and the guy is really just getting by after the huge payments. The ones to watch out for are the nuveau riche folks who just got an inheritance or settlement.....and they try to impress you with their money. Some of them try to get screaming deals on everything they buy to impress their friends. Often they offer stupidly low money. Just say no....not today.
You just never know what the guys motivation is for their behavior, if they are crooks or scammers or thieves, or they are trying to flip your flip again, or what.. If you made money, call it good and move on to another deal. If the guy is real jerk, excuse yourself and say sorry, we can't make a deal.

Back