MX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to start by saying I am a noob here, so my ears are open. I found the forum during my search for information on the bike I just picked up.
This bike belonged to someone whom my friend was living with. He left, the bike stayed and she needed to get rid of it.

I'm new to the "old" bikes. Grown up around BMX bikes and now just mountain biking, but when I heard about this bike, I knew I wanted it.
It's labeled as a Supercycle, with CCM badging. From what I've been reading, the CCM are nothing special, as they were really just the Canadian Tire special from that era.
The part I dig is how good of shape it's in. No frame rust, some rust on some of the aluminum seatpost, rims, etc. So I'll have to take care of that.
Small crack to the gas tank which I'll probably fix up. No tears in the seat is a bonus.

What I'd like to know is the year of release and model? I assume it's a MX 5000, but again, I'm new to all of this. How rare are these? What they'd fetch price wise.

mx.jpg

The ancient furnace with an inspection sticker paired with the crappy cell phone photo would make most people think this photo was taken in the 80's :)

I don't know what you have there but it reminds me of the Mattel Bronco that was made in the late '60's...eh?...PAPPY 8)

Just thought to add that after re-packing many of the bearings, cleaning up the steel/chrome, etc it's really coming along.

It's a 1978, based from what some of the badges say.

I am planning to either fix up and re-paint the fenders and tank or make some replica's with my vacuum bag set-up. They are quite faded and the tank has a pretty big crack in it.

I'll need to do some reading up on the best way to make new ones, as I've got all the proper tools, just need to learn the best way.

Also found a "fake" disc brake looking thing at a local "u-wrench" shop that mysteriously fits flush on the front hub edge. Just need to figure out a way to attach it to the hub.

The rear shocks are in good shape, the fronts don't really move, which makes me believe they never originally did... can anyone say otherwise?

You mentioned a vacuum bag set up, so are you thinking about making new fenders and tank out of a composite like fiberglass or carbon? If so, it'd be pretty easy to do. You could use the old parts as tools for laying up new ones. If your interested I could give you some more info.

Cool bike!

If you dun want that old tank I could always use it, I have two of those bicycles and both have no tank, they are from the 70's

Thats a killer score.Not the most collected of the MX bikes,but you have all the plastics except for the chain guard.On my 75 Graco I had it had a plastic two sided number plate that went in the front triangle.You scored with the chrome!! Ive never seen a survivor without those shocks incrusted in rust.

Thought I'd post a bit of an update:

I got a "JR" size number plate off eBay and re-cut some of the decals. A decal on one side of the tank was half gone, so I thought I'd do it all at once.
I do decals on the side, if anyone needs anything.

The old MX tires were pretty beat, so I threw some New SNAFU BMX high PSI rubber that I got from the local "u-wrench" bike shop for cheap.

I realize these modifications take me away from the OEM look, but they will do the job until I find better replacements.

photo1.jpg
v-0231.jpg
mx-003.jpg

I don't know how much of a market there is for them here, I'm in Edmonton but I've seen that same model (maybe even same bike I can't remember where it was) sit on kijiji for a long long time starting at $40 and going down to I think $15, I considered grabbing it just for the front fork. I've got a super clean BRC MX bike all cleaned up that got a ton of interest when it was listed at $70 but nobody ever showed up to look at it even when I dropped it down to $50. *shrug* Supercycle has a bad reputation but IMHO they've made some pretty rad bikes in the past and I'd say that's one of them, the number plate looks awesome.

Latest posts

Back