MUSCLE BIKE BUILD-OFF #02! Done and dusted!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ANY MORE BUILDERS FOR THE MUSCLE BIKE BUILDOFF? OCT-DEC 2013

I dont mean to be a pain in the butt
Isn't this quote a contradiction to the anything goes rule
We are cool with 26 Inch builds, provided you have the other style features of a muscle bike, it's all good! Actually there were some 24 Inch versions back in the 60's and 70's anyway, so your not far off!
Maybe it should be called a Wide open muscle bike build off
with a list of the accepted style features that are required to make it a muscle bike
as far as i can find there are technicaly only two

1: large raised seat
2: tall Handle bars

but i could be wrong

Anything goes was more in reference to the building of the bike itself, as in, welding and modifying is allowed, even scratch built is allowed.
Sorry if it was not clear, was basing it on the accepted rules for the normal build off, just adding in the Muscle bike theme.

I like your idea of having requirements to try and avoid eligibility issues later on, perhaps we could have a requirement of at least two of the following three options included on each build to be eligible?

1: Banana seat.
2: Larger tire on the rear than the front.
3: Ape hanger style handle bars.

What does everyone think?

Luke.

My designs tend to be.cruiser/chopper, as with the last build I can meet the mins as spec'd by Luke above... but my designs don't really fit in the muscle them... my rear tire will be fatter than the front :) not taller... its a matter of economics, sorry.

Hope that's ok with everyone :)

Rich

Sounds good to me I like loose rules if fact I hate rules, I love breaking the rules!

In saying that life has rules and we need them for a build off, I like the idea of
meeting two of the three conditions you have stated Luke, plenty of flexibility
there sounds okay to me but hey that's just me?!

Alright, I’ll jump into the pool! I’ll post pics of progress done on the muscle bike – a 2007 Schwinn Manta Ray.

Some inspiration – a rare pic of George Barris' Eddie Munster bike (legend has it that this bike was stolen and has never been found)
5709826250_57b92e0c84.jpg

Ok this could be interesting,I started something in the winter,but never finished it...
Now it needs to be completely redone...So back to starting point.
We dont have muscle bikes here,so parts have to be homemade... :D

Hi LTJ, some work has already begun, but a lot more work needs to be done. I don’t have any single speed bikes except for this one – so, I’m crossed as to whether to add a 5-speed cassette w/shifter or leaving it as a “skip” (a single speed bike w/coaster brake). Having said that, the Finale Drive Ratio has already been changed from the factory ~ 38.5 Gear Inches to 57.75 Gear Inches by changing-out the crank and rear cog; the sacrifice in climbing was offset by the fact that she is ridden primarily in the urban flats and ocean beach boardwalks.

The reason for choosing the ’07 Manta Ray however, is because of the frame and rear Boa wheel/tire combination – the lines exude muscle bike all the way! The frame lines are unbelievable – easily one of the coolest muscle bike frames ever penned and produced.

As to winning or losing – well, we are all winners based on our efforts and passion for customizing bikes – esthetics and emotions are non-quantifiable entities – we either “feel it” or we don’t – this forum proves that whatever “it” is, we have “it”!

All good! Provided big changes are happening while the build off is running and pics get posted along the way we are all happy! Looking forward to seeing what you do with that fine machine!

Luke.

Provided you are OK with the guidelines and time-frame everyone is welcome! :wink: Welcome HuffDaddy!
I think that gives us 12 builders at this point? Very cool, that is already twice what we started with last time!!! :D

Luke.

can i join the build off :D

Scribble said:
can i join the build off :D
Welcome aboard Scribble!

Pushie Pirate said:
3 and a half weeks to go, start getting some bits together folks, I'm amped can you tell!
:lol: I am in the same boat Pushie! Found some cool components today and my design is almost worked out, really looking forward to building it!!! :mrgreen:

Luke.

Putting some pieces in place and letting the ideas flow, Thinking Unconventional Muscle bike but VERY muscly. Was kind of on the fence about this in the beginning but now I'm Waiting Anxiously. :D :D

panelman said:
Putting some pieces in place and letting the ideas flow, Thinking Unconventional Muscle bike but VERY muscly. Was kind of on the fence about this in the beginning but now I'm Waiting Anxiously. :D :D
:lol: Doing these build-off's is addictive! And riding the finished product is too! :mrgreen:

More builders welcome!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back