(MBBO-IV, C-1) UNAUTHORIZED CINNAMON - (Pending Sale)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to much in the way of progress over the weekend. I had to work last night and got home at 3am. I did go to Pep-Boys today and picked up some spray paint for the bike. Nice red with some metal specks in it. I also got the grease out of the bearings and cups.
20150920_191506.jpg
Any progress is good progress! ;)

Luke.

A change of plans on the wheels. I'm going freewheel on the rear with front & rear brakes. I'll post pictures of the wheels when I unbox them. I've been on the road all day and I have to sleep and do it all again after my 10 hour break. I hope to get some time this weekend to work on it a bit.

I had to work a long day yesterday and got off work at 9pm. Then went back in at 7am this morning. I did gather my parts to get everything ready for mock-up. The prep work on the frame is gonna be a bit slow 'cause I started not feeling so great last night. That time of the year for my annual cold.
DSCN1394.jpg

Mock up begins! After I removed the 5/8" spacer from the freewheel it slid right in the dropouts. The brake caliper I have for the rear is too short. I've ordered a 1080 caliper which is an extra long reach one. I will have to modify the caliper mounting bolt as it is supposed to screw into this aluminum mount that also serves as the rear fender bracket. I have to file out the front fork to fit the thicker 3/8" axle. Then I have to pull the forks apart to get the wheel in but only 1/8".
DSCN1404.jpg

DSCN1402.jpg

DSCN1397.jpg

So you running a single speed freewheel with the small spoke protector? That looks cool!
Yeah! I actually bought that 333 spoke protector for the Ramchargers Drag Bike... I thought it was bigger and disappointed when I got it and it was way too small. The 5 speed cassette covered it completely. SO, the other day when I was digging in my totes looking for my set of brake calipers for this bike I found the protector and thought it would look cool for this build. It goes with the chain ring and the grips I'm putting on have stars on the ends too!

All of the main pieces are in place now. Fine fitting to start soon. Route brake cables. Figure out how to mount a boys Executive chain guard on a girls frame. That is the extent of my obstacles. Then it will be just prep for paint. Taking my time since I seem to have a lot of it.
I got my girlfriend to set the seat height on the bike she is 5'2"... and hasn't grown an inch since she was 13.
DSCN1405.jpg

DSCN1406.jpg

I didn't grow after age 14, so I can relate a bit, in that I Felt I missed a few growth spurts a lot of my friends had...

Build is coming along well.

I always like the double height sissy bars. Rusty natural is nice too.

Building... riding...

I didn't grow after age 14, so I can relate a bit, in that I Felt I missed a few growth spurts a lot of my friends had...

Build is coming along well.

I always like the double height sissy bars. Rusty natural is nice too.

Building... riding...
She said I was being generous with her height... then added, "it depends on which 7-11 door I'm walking through".

1080 caliper arrived. Cut the end so it could thread into the mounting block it shares with the fender. I centered the wheel in the fender and marked the chain where it will link.
The bikes cross tube for the brake is drilled out opposite because it uses a tapped out mounting block to secure the brake caliper and the rear fender. The bike did not have the original rear caliper when I bought the bike. The new caliper stud is not threaded enough on the mounting end so I had to use some spacers. I may end up making another better mount for this caliper. I don't want to drill out the cross bar it would weaken it to much. If I had a welder it would be a non-issue.
DSCN1410.jpg

DSCN1409.jpg

DSCN1413.jpg

Looks like it should work, but I imagine there will be a fair amount of flex there...
I wonder if it would work better hung under the stays? I realise that would mean the fender mounts would be off though... :39:

Mounting under the chainstays would be cool, not sure if it is possible with your frame though?

Luke.

¿Maybe you could braze or solver solder in a well fit crossbar on the center stay and mount it in between?

Building... riding...
That would be cool! That would still be ok with class 1 rules too, small modification... ;)

Luke.

Not much there to resist rotation. Couple pieces of alum sandwiched around the seat stays might work.

I've seen some braces that mount to the pads and lean on the seat stays too. You might need something a little beefier depending on how much braking you need out of it.

Looks like it should work, but I imagine there will be a fair amount of flex there...
I wonder if it would work better hung under the stays? I realise that would mean the fender mounts would be off though... :39:

Mounting under the chainstays would be cool, not sure if it is possible with your frame though?

Luke.
Not much there to resist rotation. Couple pieces of alum sandwiched around the seat stays might work.

I've seen some braces that mount to the pads and lean on the seat stays too. You might need something a little beefier depending on how much braking you need out of it.
¿Maybe you could braze or silver solder in a well fit crossbar on the center stay and mount it in between?

Building... riding...

All things are under consideration. Not much left to do with the rest of the bike so far as mock up is concerned. I do need to address this though before I go any further. I'll have to cable up my lever to see how it reacts to the pressure.

Back