(MBBO 4 Class 1) In Violet --Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guard hides a bit of the chain ring, but it also takes a little focus off the bright yellow of the tires. (Which are awesome by the way)

If it were me, I'd leave the guard on. It centers the vision.

The guard hides a bit of the chain ring, but it also takes a little focus off the bright yellow of the tires. (Which are awesome by the way)

If it were me, I'd leave the guard on. It centers the vision.
Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that.

I am glad you like th the tires .

Building... riding...

Dig this bike. :cool2:
Vision Impaired, friendly.:grin:

I vote: No guard....
True muscle : shreds, bell bottoms.:D
Oh, bell bottoms......

If I had had a pair like those copper brown corduroy bell bottoms , like I had in the 70s, With a wig and some purple suspenders, I'd have my Halloween costume, bike and all, for that party that I'm invited to in a couple weeks . I think I need to hit a few thrift stores this weekend. I have some big 70s Sunglasses somewhere....

Building... riding...

My beer guzzling Shakespearean friend has done it again. Falstaff nailed it with his observations. The chrome guard really does tie the front end to the back well. And @KJV , you nailed it on the shoes. I wore red Chucks for high school basketball team issue until 1971 (our colors were scarlet and white, fight, fight, fight) when this new company called Adidas came out with the Superstar, and that was the lastest / greatest.....anyway, I digress. metalchewy, your bike is killer!

Get ya, some :
violet Chucks , w\yellow laces.:grin:
I was thinking of finding some lemon colored ones :) the plum seemed to come in women's sizes, they don't fit too well.
I like the guard on there, as Falstaff says it ties the bike together...
Either way is a cool bike though!

Luke.
Falstaff helped nail it down for me too. The guard is in.
My beer guzzling Shakespearean friend has done it again. Falstaff nailed it with his observations. The chrome guard really does tie the front end to the back well. And @KJV , you nailed it on the shoes. I wore red Chucks for high school basketball team issue until 1971 (our colors were scarlet and white, fight, fight, fight) when this new company called Adidas came out with the Superstar, and that was the lastest / greatest.....anyway, I digress. metalchewy, your bike is killer!
I don't have any stainless rod for nerfs this build, have some 1/2 inch steel tubing I am looking at using. Here are some pics of vintage nerf bars.

It will be fun welding up a set!!

Building... riding...

I had a lot more chores around the yard yesterday than planned. I did make it to the LBS before the closed and picked up a seatpost clamp bolt and some Oddyssey Slik Kables, in stock and on the shelf. I did cut those in last night.

Hmmm, nerf bars... Cool!

Luke.

Mmmm, I know, Right??? I've been wanting a set of these. Hard to find.

I made a wire frame for the rear this morning

Figured parallel with the tire, giving clearance .

I picked up some aluminum rod, will polish up and make them shiny, ehen I'm done.

That rod is some tough stuff. Will pull the anvil out later.

Will start the front once I have the back one together.

Building... riding...

Hmmmm, nerf bars....? Time for another teachable moment....history? use? vintage bikes spec'd with these?....class is now in session.....

Hmmmm, nerf bars....? Time for another teachable moment....history? use? vintage bikes spec'd with these?....class is now in session.....
What i Knew: The ones I remember as a kid, one of the guys in the neighborhood had a Stingrays with a set on them. I thought they looked ....... Never knew much more about them, just that they were cool and I wanted some. Only ever saw one set, forgot about them years ago. I wanted a set in the worst way back then.

What I've pieced together,
Finally put a name to them when I saw the brain bike post in the discussion section.
I found they were referenced in Brain History for 64. The post named the part and maker and I searched from there.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?posts/940571

21482247438_edd9e3b44d_z.jpg

Found a kewl, bad to the bone collection on pinterest I'd love to have, I drool each time I open this pic.
1ae13cee6dcd6118c272e7fd02357979.jpg

While out searching around a the web I found page on Worth point showing a catalog page that had the components of the 64 brain bike, and some nos bars up. Last sighting on there 2013. http://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=Nerf+bars+bicycle&categoryurl=
1_2eaa97652dc44c00ee43477591a23350.jpg

1_c37316329e02ecdf07509e9548a2c46b.jpg

With the knowledge and experience on the site, I am sure someone might chime in with more info. ;-)

Building... riding...

Last edited:
Like the Nerf bars, usually only see them in the lowrider scene.
Some think all muscle bikes are low riders, me, I like my seat and bars up, rather than squished to the ground. Clean, Classic muscle bikes and choppers pull my looks more.

Been bending and cutting. About ready to pull out the alumiweld. Still gotta make brackets first.

Building... riding...

Some think all muscle bikes are low riders, me, I like my seat and bars up, rather than squished to the ground. Clean, Classic muscle bikes and choppers pull my looks more.

Been bending and cutting. About ready to pull out the alumiweld. Still gotta make brackets first.

Building... riding...
ok, what is alumiweld?

Cool! Thanks for the info. So you use a propane torch with the alumiweld huh? .... *brain grinding noises*.... now that I might be able to pull off.

Cool! Thanks for the info. So you use a propane torch with the alumiweld huh? .... *brain grinding noises*.... now that I might be able to pull off.
Yes, a propane torch. I have cement/mortar wall board I use as a fireproof base.

I soldered together the corners of the dropstand I made in my BOTEN build. I did end up melting the aluminum channel that i had to patch, because i got it too hot.

In MBBO3, its what I used to put that Hurst T handle to stainless with.

Building... riding...

Back