(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it like that!
I think the main reason I decided against the sissy bar/backrest is that this bike will hard enough to get on to as it is... It has a very high top tube/seat with no real low point to swing your leg over. It will be fine for me, but maybe not so much for people shorter than me, I figured with no backrest they can just walk their way onto the seat from behind...

Then again, it is meant to be a show bike, not important for everyone to be able to ride it... I might add something on there yet... :39:

Luke.

You can always flip the front wheel up in the air then walk over the seat and lower the front wheel to get on it.

Tall sissy is taking some getting used to for me as well. I can lay my bike down though.

I'm sure it will be awesome either way but I vote for some kind of kick up at the back. I like what you have there in the pics. I would think that would be too too bad to swing a leg over.

Luke, you SERIOUSLY need to consider wheelie bars!! As far over the back wheel as you will be, one good crank while slightly off-balance will send the front wheel skyward and you straight on your bum!! :headbang:

Luke, you SERIOUSLY need to consider wheelie bars!! As far over the back wheel as you will be, one good crank while slightly off-balance will send the front wheel skyward and you straight on your bum!! :headbang:
I doubt it. The height plus the weight of the front wheel will keep the front down. It looks like it could, but the pivot point is still the rear axle on a steel frame. My ALiEN FiRE looks like it'd flip over too but it doesn't from the weight.

Carl.

You can always flip the front wheel up in the air then walk over the seat and lower the front wheel to get on it.

Tall sissy is taking some getting used to for me as well. I can lay my bike down though.

I'm sure it will be awesome either way but I vote for some kind of kick up at the back. I like what you have there in the pics. I would think that would be too too bad to swing a leg over.
I see what you mean: You can always pull the rear brake on and pull back on the bars until the sissy bar is low enough and then just walk forward onto the bike...
Looks good Luke.
Your drawing of the seat with a back rest makes me think Raleigh chopper.
I can see that! I wonder if that somehow sparked the idea in my brain?
I doubt it. The height plus the weight of the front wheel will keep the front down. It looks like it could, but the pivot point is still the rear axle on a steel frame. My ALiEN FiRE looks like it'd flip over too but it doesn't from the weight.

Carl.
I think you are both probably right on this one, on a flat surface it should be fine, even cranking hard, but going up hills would be a different story.
The good thing is with all the added steel in the front wheel, there is a fair amount of weight well forward.

I might just have to get it to riding point and see how it goes...
Reminds me of a hot rod version of a high wheeler bike! Can you grow a handlebar moustache by Dec 31...?! :grin:
Ah... Probably not... My mo and beard grow in really patchy...

Can't wait to work more on this, you guys are really hyping me up!

Luke.

Ok, for your consideration, some drawings...

Current plan:

21048559774_fb0c7a4cd4_z.jpg

Mini sissy:

21678363635_7eec71ca6c_z.jpg

Tall sissy/headrest:

21490510848_4a34b7b028_z.jpg

Just for a laugh: Chopper top:

21652279176_6bdc9a02f8_z.jpg

I think I will just have to make up my mind when the canti bars are done and I have a rolling bike. Then I can take a pic of how is actually sits and draw stuff on that with paint.net.
Currently I am feeling that one of the first two will work the best...

Luke.

Oh tall sissy bar with faux wheelie bars definitely. Then a pic of you on the bike with a Rat fink mask on!

Rat-Fink-String-Ray-Bike-Oct-2012.jpg
Ok, for your consideration, some drawings...

Current plan:

Mini sissy:

21678363635_7eec71ca6c_z.jpg

Tall sissy/headrest:

21490510848_4a34b7b028_z.jpg

Just for a laugh: Chopper top:

21652279176_6bdc9a02f8_z.jpg

I think I will just have to make up my mind when the canti bars are done and I have a rolling bike. Then I can take a pic of how is actually sits and draw stuff on that with paint.net.
Currently I am feeling that one of the first two will work the best...

Luke.

Number 3 looks the best to me

I have seen a bike built a lot like that before I been trying to find a pic to show but can't. I found it one time before on a Google search. It was displayed at one of the big car shows like Sema. I think it was hotwheels themed.

Not up to working today, so instead I decided the time had come to get some pics and let you in on what I am building a little...

Here it is as it sits today: (Love the much clearer pics from my new camera phone!)

21670844065_4206bce353_z.jpg

The build board:

21484025319_bb7d9c4a6f_z.jpg

You can see how much it has changed at the front with the switch to a 16"...

Next step is to build the rear triangle/cantilever bars/loop tail set up... It will start at the lowest portion of the frame there, come out each side and turn back along the tire, loop behind the axle and curve up to the front tube...

Like this:

21645169076_81265cbf53_z.jpg

Then I will build the skateboard seat/top tube set up.

Here is an early sketch, you can see I have raked the front out a bit more now:

Luke.

Looking GREAT!!!

Very creative!!!!

You have a great imagination Luke! It took 9 pages before we saw a bike. That's the way to keep people in suspense! :21: This is going to be very cool. :banana:
I didn't do it on purpose I promise, the wheel project just got bigger and bigger... I blame Dr.T!
Oh tall sissy bar with faux wheelie bars definitely. Then a pic of you on the bike with a Rat fink mask on!

Rat-Fink-String-Ray-Bike-Oct-2012.jpg
I "Fink" you're right........
I might need to find a mask! Nice art work PPuncher!
Number 3 looks the best to me
I like the min sissy. I think the bike is a bit short for the tall one.
I lean towards the mini duck-tail, but that's just me.
Looks like we are fairly split between 2 and 3 so far... Be interesting to see where we end up...
I have seen a bike built a lot like that before I been trying to find a pic to show but can't. I found it one time before on a Google search. It was displayed at one of the big car shows like Sema. I think it was hotwheels themed.
This one?

21512891310_9e6370c453_z.jpg

21512990368_68804eecb2_z.jpg

Those pics have been sitting in my file for years, pretty sure they were the main inspiration for this build...
Looking GREAT!!!

Very creative!!!!
Thanks Roadie!

Hopefully progress tomorrow!

Luke.

Yes!! That's it. Half High . Although your frame is gonna look much better. Can't wait to see this build done. It's gonna be great!

Latest posts

Back