(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elegant shape , if you ever get a flat tire , can you slide the axle out like motorcycle wheels ? , i vote wheelie bars :rockout:
I will cut a relief in the back of the loops to allow the axle to pass by...

Luke.

Maybe it won't be so easy to wheelie? Depends a lot on riding position. Does seem like it will be easy or hard to ride as far as being big n tall.

No big work today, but did design the dropouts, I had a few different ideas that were easier to build than these, but didn't give me the look I wanted.

Going to cut these from 4mm plate:

21560522868_5da303fb1f_z.jpg

Here is how they will work:

21736885542_646ac91443_z.jpg

21561209288_341f7b9ba9_z.jpg

Lots of cutting and grinding to make them, I can already feel the itching from all the grinding dust that will be involved. It will be worth it though, should look good. :thumbsup:

Luke.
Those drop outs are a really great shape!

I don't believe it will wheelie too easily...

See where the seat ends up? Also it took me a minute, but you're planning a WIDE BB to clear the back wheel, right? The pedals should clear the front wheel easy too, cause the width of the BB will help there also. Nice. I'm starting to appreciate your CAD...

Carl.

Nine job on the drop outs cool Art Deco look ! [emoji95]
Those drop outs are a really great shape!
Thanks G-men! I got them built today, they look even better in real life!
Wow she's compact, got a feeling she will spend a
fair bit of her life up on the back wheel!

Looking good LTJ!
Maybe it won't be so easy to wheelie? Depends a lot on riding position. Does seem like it will be easy or hard to ride as far as being big n tall.
I don't believe it will wheelie too easily...

See where the seat ends up?
My gut feeling is that is should be pretty stable, but if you lean back and give it some it should lift fairly easily. I wont know for sure until it is built.
To be honest this design is a total guess, the rider will be sitting very upright to reach the monster apes, if it did start to wheelie, I get the feeling you would be flat on your back before being able to save it... :blackeye:
Awesome work Luke as usual!
Thanks Pick!
Also it took me a minute, but you're planning a WIDE BB to clear the back wheel, right? The pedals should clear the front wheel easy too, cause the width of the BB will help there also. Nice. I'm starting to appreciate your CAD...

Carl.
;) You got it exactly right Carl! Even if I moved the front wheel so it was almost touching the bottom bracket you could still turn fully in either direction without fear of hitting your toes...
There is a huge amount of planning in this bike, probably 18 months on and off, which hopefully means it will all work... But as with anything being done for the first time, it may fail for some completely unforeseen reason... Hopefully it wont though!

I had one unforeseen problem today, but thankfully was able to fix it without it becoming a bigger issue... :thumbsup:

Luke.

Started today by cutting out two pieces of 4mm plate and tacking them together:

21778771195_c855724b28_z.jpg

Rough cut:

21156064114_ebbcf32695_z.jpg

Rough ground:

21590733450_aa44005f98_z.jpg

Split apart, sanded and filed:

21752623686_5219787bcb_z.jpg

I notched the loops, sleeved the notch and welded the drops on:

21590726510_b5ab43fae0_z.jpg

21778748585_176981007f_z.jpg

I then tried them on the back wheel, all looked good, but I wanted to check the clearance that the crank arms would have as they came past, and that was where I ran into the issue I mentioned earlier. The stays ran in the same place as the crank arms would have to.

Normally I would just move the dropouts further into the stays to create the room required, but I need to keep the stays where they are to allow for the 8" brake disc on the non drive side, so I needed to add a dogleg to the chain stays...

At first I just figured to cut and join the dogleg in, but when I did it, it just didn't flow with the nice curves everywhere else, so I was forced to chop up another set of kids BMX bars to make some nice curvy doglegs instead...

Lots of cutting, stripping, sleeving, welding, sanding later:

21752613936_902ae8f463_z.jpg

Lots of work, but it looks nice and flows well with the rest of the frame...

21157683963_3c63b8018c_z.jpg

21752608946_6305a27104_z.jpg

So... 1 hour spent building dropouts from scratch and welding them on.
Then 2 hours fixing a problem I didn't know I had...

It was that kind of day: 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but that is still +1 for the day! ;)

Not far off a rolling chassis now...

Luke.

Things seem to be self-correcting on this build....YOURself doing the correcting! No, seriously, it's evident that your well thought-out plan included options in case of pop-up problems. And that makes those corrections all that much easier! A roller soon....can't wait!:41:

ahhh! i get it now! very clean way of doing it , i thought you were just gonna cut the tube all the way , but this is great!:41: and again good job on the fab work , you start to get me jealous , i want to make stuff like this!!:envy::praise:

Last edited:
Things seem to be self-correcting on this build....YOURself doing the correcting! No, seriously, it's evident that your well thought-out plan included options in case of pop-up problems. And that makes those corrections all that much easier! A roller soon....can't wait!:41:
I cant wait either OJ!
ahhh! i get it now! very clean way of doing it , i thought you were just gonna cut the tube all the way , but this is great!:41: and again good job on the fab work , you start to get me jealous , i want to make stuff like this!!:envy::praise:
Glad you like it 1HP! If you ever get going on scratch builds, they will be awesome, you have great vision and artistic abilities! :thumbsup: Your double wide rims, sanded slicks, home made tanks, including the quad headlight version, all very, very cool!

Luke.

I cant wait either OJ!

Glad you like it 1HP! If you ever get going on scratch builds, they will be awesome, you have great vision and artistic abilities! :thumbsup: Your double wide rims, sanded slicks, home made tanks, including the quad headlight version, all very, very cool!

Luke.
:dontmentionit::happy: one day , one day ! thanks luke

I'd like to see wheelie bars sometime made from inverted leaf springs with no rollers just the flat ends of the leafs...maybe with some flats of magnesium or something that would throw some sparks.

Carl.

I'd like to see wheelie bars sometime made from inverted leaf springs with no rollers just the flat ends of the leafs...maybe with some flats of magnesium or something that would throw some sparks.

Carl.

I, too, was imagining something with a with a slight downward arc--just like the leaf spring suggestion. But, I'd never second-guess Luke's artistry.

Me neither but I could see them attached to the seat stays rather than the chain stays. Although I doubt he'll need any either...

Carl.

Thanks KJV!
:dontmentionit::happy: one day , one day ! thanks luke
Looking forward to that day 1HP!
Cool! I was thinking about one for mine too. I'm gonna get it running and see if I can pull a wheelie first! Great job on the drop outs!!!
I, too, was imagining something with a with a slight downward arc--just like the leaf spring suggestion. But, I'd never second-guess Luke's artistry.
Me neither but I could see them attached to the seat stays rather than the chain stays. Although I doubt he'll need any either...
Still undecided on the wheelie bar, or how I would attach it if I do need one, looking more and more like it wont need it though!
We have had a discussion regarding Magnesium use for sparks before, turns out it is very dangerous, the best idea a few of us came up with was to use those replaceable sparker pieces from the razor scooters... Cheap and guaranteed to work... ;)
Those dropouts look great. Getting close to being a roller looks like.
Very close! Check the next post! :13:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back