(MBBO#04 Class 1) Fritz Fifty Krate Done Right, update 10 finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this is the second MBBO I'll be a part of and I'm sticking to my guns, I just can't let go of the classic StingRays, I have been collecting parts for this build since I was 16-17 years old and it's time to get this show on the road.

The red frame is a 1965 StingRay, and the bare metal one is a 76. This is not two builds it's just the combined parts I have to make one bike, my plan is to repaint the frame in cotton picker white, with black decals. I still have not decided witch frame to use yet, the 76 frame has more of it's parts than the 65. The 65 still need a crank set, bars and a chain-guard since the 65 is a 18 inch frame and the 76 is a 20 inch. Hey, so if anybody has some old 60's ray parts that you want to sell let me know.
IMG_6660_zpsg21hxiaw.jpg

Got a set of 70's and 60's fenders
IMG_6662_zpsub4u6ffp.jpg

I have the bars that came off the 76 originally, and bars that came off a krate
IMG_6668_zpsbman2wp0.jpg

Standard 70's sissy bar, and a suspension sissy bar
IMG_6670_zpsy47wniat.jpg

Found this gem of a seat on eBay years ago never been mounted.
IMG_6671_zpss8itkfqb.jpg

This is the only crank I have right now, so until I can get a smaller 60's crank the 76 is the only frame I can get in to riding shape
IMG_6673_zpsvlo8redb.jpg

IMG_6675_zpsiglek3qb.jpg

This is the nicest set of 20 inch wheels I have on hand, but I have about 3 other sets I might go dig through.
IMG_6677_zpszhyinqor.jpg

IMG_6676_zpsby7jmzxa.jpg

And of course I have to throw a 16 inch wheel in the pile, still have not decided what style to do, super deluxe look with both wheels being 20's or the krate look with the 16 up front.
IMG_6678_zps5fawkryy.jpg

Tires sets, repo tractor tire and an original Carlisle Jet-Flyte Slick
IMG_6682_zpsgls0y0ly.jpg

IMG_6679_zpsjixizbnd.jpg

Tire set number two, Duro white walls with the griper slick
IMG_6684_zpsx5h77tgl.jpg

I'm with you, it's hard to beat the look of an old Stingray. Good starting point.

Nice pile of parts to start with

Looks like you've got some thinking to do with all those parts.

IMG_6687_zpsbiq8qthg.jpg

OK what will it be 20 inch front wheel or a 16 inch :39:
IMG_6686_zpsmvyz2ywq.jpg

I like the stance with a 20" on there. Looks a little more nose high "gasser" style.

They both work for different reasons. I'm kind of an oddball (OddJob..?) so I always lean to the unusual, which would be more the 16". Not everybody has the bike for that look...you definitely do!

I'm bouncing the same decision around in my head and I think I may go with the third option... a skinny 20.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back