Loosing my grip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
best way to get new grips on

slide 5 or 6 of the tiny zip ties inside the grip (make sure the tie locks are on the out side)...

line up the grip and arrange the ties circumferentially around the bar...

push the grip on... pull the ies out

go ride...no waiting to dry

the reason this works is it give the grip a pocket of air so that it can go right on

I've used a simple method...

To get grips off the handle bars simply heat water (over stove/in microwave) and let the grip sit in the water for several minutes. Grab the grip tightly (with a rag- remember its HOT!) and twist them off with my hands. No tools as I was worried about damaging them.

To get them back on, you can heat them up too, but don't try slipping them over a cold set of handle bars. The rubber will shrink quickly around the cold metal.

Good luck!

jaba13 said:
I have always had lots of luck with The small standard scerwdriver and drip in rubbing alcohol. it usally slides right off. I also dab some on the bar when I put them back on. The advantage of rubbing alcohol is that it is dirt cheap and evaporates completly. no cleaning of soapy or oily residue. JB

Same here, but I use a popsicle stick soaked in alcohol.

alcohol sounds great! ive tried other solvents with not-so-great results(the grips melted) :lol:

I'll put in my 2 cents since no one has mentioned getting them to stay on as good as they were when you took them off. I watched a video where a guy recommended using hair spray to put grips on. If your quick it allows them to slide right on and then dries to hold them and keep from twisting.

Also I have always had good luck with the thin flat blade and spraying something underneath.

I seen some kids spraying the hairspray on the outside of the grips! seems the temp drop causes enough condensation you can slide em off. still haven't gotten any hair spray to try it tho... :roll:

I love the adjustable pliers & hammer method but have damaged the edge of the grips before, and left marks on the bars. Just be careful. The guys at the local bike shop swear by the screwdriver pry - up and squirt in rubbing alcohol method. They use alcohol to slide them back on. I think this evaporates faster than windex and no need to clean off like with WD40.

aka_locojoe said:
Somewhere in the How To section there are probably tips on doing this. If you have a hole in the end of the grip an air compressor works great. Put nozzle in one end and thumb over the other. Twist grip as your blowing the air in.
Thats the best way by far

Getting grips on or off I have always used Johnson's hair detangler, won't hurt anything, no oily residue holds solid once dry, try it sometime, or don't, it's your bike, your rules, your way

Air only works if there are grip ends!
Skinny air nozzle will get under the grip, like a basketball needle will work.
Hairspray, works evertime, or even rubber cement , to make non slip grips.
And to keep them that way, install bar plugs, that will keep dirt out.

I broke the arm off a Ndebele nose tweezer, work it under the grip; squirt WD-40 under the grip, wiggle the tweezer arm around, do that several times, then give it a good wiggle and twist session. Slides off usually.

Back