Loosing my grip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
Wildcat said:
I thought I invented that method.

2pzfrt0.jpg

After seeing this technique I tried it the other night, took a few hard smacks, but worked like a charm. :D

Worked like charm on easy smack. It is the most effective and easy way to to remove the grip without damage the grip. Prop to wildcat. ;)

When I was working in bike shops we always squirted a little hairspray in 'em. Works really good for putting them in or taking them off!

I have something similar to the hair dryer method. I take the whole bar/stem off and put the end into a large pot of boiling water for a few minutes. It softens the rubber grip enough to slide it off and does a good job if there is any glue/rust on there as well. It also works well if you are trying to put on a set of stubborn grips too.

stretch said:
ive done all said methods..air, screwdrivers and some type of spray lubricant, wrenches, and heat. the wrench and the air are the easiest. ive struggled with(and even broken) some dried grips with the screwdriver method. :x

be careful when removing older grips. i tore an old coke bottle grip (nos) when i slid in a small pocket screwdriver to spray in some water. that old rubber didn't stretch much at all. fixed w/ super glue. love that wrench hammer tip. will try that in the futute :D

If I knew my photo would be on the homepage, I would have picked a better looking hammer.

I have always had lots of luck with The small standard scerwdriver and drip in rubbing alcohol. it usally slides right off. I also dab some on the bar when I put them back on. The advantage of rubbing alcohol is that it is dirt cheap and evaporates completly. no cleaning of soapy or oily residue. JB

uneasy rider said:
stretch said:
ive done all said methods..air, screwdrivers and some type of spray lubricant, wrenches, and heat. the wrench and the air are the easiest. ive struggled with(and even broken) some dried grips with the screwdriver method. :x

be careful when removing older grips. i tore an old coke bottle grip (nos) when i slid in a small pocket screwdriver to spray in some water. that old rubber didn't stretch much at all. fixed w/ super glue. love that wrench hammer tip. will try that in the futute :D
i learned the hard way and ruined a good set of faded coke bottle grips. crack might be too wide to glue it back together. still got em tho, ill try that. thanks! :D

I prefer rubbing alcohol rather than wd-40, soap or windex squirted under the grip. They slide off and the alcohol evaporates quickly and cleanly. Doesn't hurt rubber or plastic.

Hammond Eggz said:
The ol' skinny screwdriver and Windex is the best approach I've found. Hasn't missed yet even on grips probably in place for 40+ years, and leaves no residue that has to be cleaned off like something oil-based...not to mention, no hammering necessary! :wink:

I use a skinny screwdriver or an old spoke then spray alcohol in there. ( pour alcohol into an old spray bottle - don't forget to label it alcohol) . The alcohol evaporates really fast from inside the grip and on the bar. Soap (windex) or WD40 can leave a slippery residue that takes forever to dry or clean out of the grip. To re-attach the grip I like to use spray paint - silver or black depending on the color of the grip or bar.

Thanks for all the input for my question. I actually took some DAWNS dish soap, and a long letter opener.

Slid the letter opener in the grip, squirted a few drops of the soap in and twisted it a bit and WAHHHHLAAAAHH off it came...

Now I need to get back to building...Take care all!!

I'm partial to using warm dishwater myself, but the key thing is that you don't pull them off, but push them from the end, like it's done w/the wrench.(which is a great tip! :wink: )

Ok, but what if you've got new grips and you can't get them ON to the bars? :lol:

Half-kidding...I'll try Windex (will it eventually become non-slippery? Sure don't want it to stay all loosey-goosey once I get it on there) or a rubber mallet.

I use dish detergent to get them to slide on. They are slippery for a day or two, but then are on as if you didn't use anything on them. Gives you a chance to adjust them just right before they stick.

Thanks. Going to be trying that today. :)

the wd-40 is the best idea and works. however, i would not use a flat head screw driver beacuse if the bars you have are prized bars you'll scratch them. i would use a 4" x 1/8" diameter wood dowl and file it down flatter than the head of a screw driver and wedge it under the grip and shoot-in the wd-40. do this in four locations. the grip will come off. clean the bar off good and put a "thin coat" of liquid dish soap on the bar end grip length and replace the grip by holding the bar and pushing it in with the palm of your hand - don't use a hammer you might damage the new grip. if you put too much dish soap on the bar - it will take a long time to evaporate and the grip will twist as you ride your bike. if you prize you bars - don't use anything metal! this is about the only thing wd-40 is good for - it never worked down in the fireroom loosening parts when i was in the navy.

hi

first post, probably will be on here more often, im from brisbane, australia, into collecting ratty old bikes and bike parts and maken em into cool .....

the way i deal with this is 2 steps

1. squirt a bit of bike chain oil and in between the grip and the handlebar...

2. use a vice grip to grip around the grip with just enough tightness not to tear the .... out of the grip when you twist, but enoguh to be able to move it without it losing traction and tearing the .... out of the grip by lack of grip. this method is brutal and can ruin grips but works REAL well if you're careful.

twist until you break contact between grip and handlebar and it moves freely on the bar... then do it again at another position on the grip... or 2... or 3 or whatever, just twist the grip so its not attached to the handlebar anymore with the glue or melted on or however it got so stuck.

then simply pull it off, you should be able to just jimmy it off by hand then.

with ...... grips i don't plan to keep, i just carve it in half with a knife and peel it off takes 3-5 seconds with a sharp knife.

Back