Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KC so-cal said:
I wish there was a build off going on right now, I got something cool in mind and I cant wait till the next build off
Actually at my show in April there will be a top rat class and the winner will walk away with cash. It's going to be similar in rules to this build off but frame mods will be allowed. As for this build off I too think powder coat should be legal but I would do an astric with it. Now that metallic and flake can be done I do think thats getting a little close to pro. Also the cost goes up as well. So I would say single colors like gloss red flat black or along those lines is fine. I will say I was one who got pro pinstriping approved because to me its an accessory or an element not the paint job. But wait till Steve weighs in.

This year Steve did a poll to see if there was interest in an "anything goes" build off. The poll has been removed, but if I remember right, it was a runaway vote to keep the build off rules as they have been. People still squealled and complained, but Steve gave us what we asked for.

Maybe someone should start a poll for RRBO8. Maybe two separate polls. One to see if everyone is ready for an anything goes build and another to see if powder coating should be allowed. I see these as two separate items. Of course the results of any poll would be for research means only. Steve is not obligated to change anything at all.

Of course any poll is someone limited in it's usefullness. Many people that participate in the BO don't even look at parts of the forum during the off season.

I am not a big fan of anything goes......in fact, I would like to see a throw back to more "ratty" bikes. Rather than allowing powder-coating...how about no painting/refinishing of frames, wheels, parts, etc? Patina and rust rule! :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

As far as voting, that is Steve's call....but I feel it is the best way to see what the majority wants.....even if I disagree with the results. :wink:

So your going to be trying the fish net stocking painting tec. hope it turns out good cant wait to see it!

outskirtscustoms said:
kingfish254 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
All I will say is that my build involves fishnet stockings. To confuse you further.

I know there is a lot of talk about "anything goes", but I think we meant our builds, not our after hours ensemble. :p :shock:

You are way off, they will be used on the bike itself.

Peatbog said:
I like anything goes if you do it yourself because doing it yourself is what rattin' is all about, but I would specifically like to see a "bunnies are okay" rule. Man, we have four more months to complain about all this stuff. This should be fun.

You mean, four more months plus the entire Buildoff period to gripe about the new etched-in-stone rules. :mrgreen:

Perhaps there should be two Buildoffs each year. An anything goes BO for the guys with access to a mess of cool tools, materials and processes and a traditional home garage BO that is restricted to what can be done with the stuff a Regular Joe has on hand employing primitive techniques. -no use of professional services, computer cut vinyl stickers or masks, 3D printers, powder coating, etc.

bike2112 said:
I'm not too worried about the rules and just glad we are having a buildoff next year. I spent no more than 80 bucks on my bike and most of that was for the tires. The rest was on nuts and bolts and some flatbar. Everything I used was from another old bike and I was pretty happy with my results. Regardless of the rules, I think the talent pool here is going to again, stretch the limits of creativity cause every year, someone has a breakout idea. Personally, I think powdercoating should be allowed if you do the powdercoating yourself and professional pistriping should not be allowed, unless you do it yourself. It should be an all yourself buildoff. Everyone has an equalizer and it won't come down to the best paintjob, it always comes down to the best overall build and paint is a sub component of the "Build" itself. Just my .02.
I agree with some of your statements. I remember there was something on one of my bikes I could not do myself. I was concerned that the simple act of having someone else help me with a part might get me disqualified. I do agree that in essence it should be a do it your self build off. But take pinstriping as an example. I can do it and I will because I like it. Others can't so is that fair to them? The way I put it was if others can't have their bikes striped then neither should I. This isn't a rant just the playing field should be as even as possible. If there WAS one new rule for me it would not allowing the posting of builds on Facebook until after its over. Ok I will climb off my soapbox now

Oh and as a side note in the past powder coated bikes have been let in as long as they were more or less oked by the mass group. But thats on a case by case base

Rockit! said:
I can't believe this is already starting again and it's not even the first of the year. :x
I figured I better start now to get all the questions and technicalities sorted out for everybody.

Where's that Hitler video when we need it?

Funny how everything different.......yet the same!?!?! hey Steve lol.

I support the BBO as it is now. It allows the max amount of people who can play :mrgreen:
To which is the main idea behind the BBO :D (Thanks Steve) please let us return to the main idea behind this post....to inspire the next build :D

As for an "All out BBO!" ....well, we do have the "Build challenge" part of the forum....lets fire it up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: nothing stopping that!

come Jan 1st we put a "call out" to all full custom builders, set some dates and lets see what happins! I have another bike for such a build! With Steve's acceptance I can lead the charge on this.....

sounds like more fun to me! :mrgreen:

Murray

Rockit! said:
I can't believe this is already starting again and it's not even the first of the year. :x

HAHAH....Just as Rat Rod predicted.

Rat Rod said:
tvc15 said:
Poor Steve... You'd think that after 7 years of build offs people would get the drift :wink:

Hey no worries...in a week it will all be over with....

Then someone will ask..."Hey, when's the next build off?" :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
Rockit! said:
I figured I better start now to get all the questions and technicalities sorted out for everybody.

Honestly, I don't think this will sort anything out. The biggest thing that I get out of these discussions is just the cool fact that people care so much about the build off. Whatever the rules are, I'll follow them.

Yeah I'm planning my build to follow the rules but also have a few ideas to take it further should it become an anything goes build off. Either way it is going to blow minds and be another fun to ride bike in my fleet.

I see no argument here. This is simply discussion. I would like to see a harder edge adhered to. If a rule is broken (paint mods whatever) it should be enforced rather than left in the air. I have seen things let go in the past that if I knew were ok to do I would take advantage of. But I didn't because I did not want to get shot down. Yes the build off is a ton of fun to do, but at the same time I as a builder only want to know that its an even field

karfer67 said:
I see no argument here. This is simply discussion. I would like to see a harder edge adhered to. If a rule is broken (paint mods whatever) it should be enforced rather than left in the air. I have seen things let go in the past that if I knew were ok to do I would take advantage of. But I didn't because I did not want to get shot down. Yes the build off is a ton of fun to do, but at the same time I as a builder only want to know that its an even field

I agree. I don't think there is any enforcement of the rules at all. More than a few builds were allowed to be in the voting that broke one or more of the rules.

kingfish254 said:
karfer67 said:

I agree. I don't think there is any enforcement of the rules at all. More than a few builds were allowed to be in the voting that broke one or more of the rules.

I think the idea is not to have anyone enforce the rules. As grown boys/girls, I think we should follow them in good faith and make it hassle free. Also we can all enforce the rules with our votes. I didn't vote for a couple of bikes this past BO because I felt they broke the rules

kingfish254 said:
karfer67 said:

It is a two sided coin for sure. If a bike is thought to break rules should it be allowed to go on and let the voting decide. Well I have issues with that but thats something that I won't speak of here.

I have spend the last 2 years as I participated and finished those build-offs really studying the rules and the results. After reading through these 5 pages, let me hit some high spots, only as a build-off competitor, no other authority assumed.

The finish on your bike: If you can lay down professional paint with your own hands, it is legal and has been done and accepted. If someone else is holding the gun, then it's outside of the spirit of the rules. Same with powdercoat, if you have the equipment then use it, it is your skill. Some of the best paint we have seen in the past couple years has come from rattle cans.

The pinstriping rule addition was added for the last 2 build-offs, I didn't necessarily agree with that because I don't have friends that pinstripe or money to get it done, but I love pinstriping and like to see it, so I've never complained.

Frame mods, hold onto your hats... Here's the way I like it, look at the profile of your frame before you start, then look at it afterwards, if the basic frame looks the same then you did fine. Widening for fat tires, as long as you are not fitting something stupid in there then it's fine, all the rear stay widening I've seen has been so negligible that it most people wouldn't have even noticed it. On my first build off bike I cut the seat tube top so that the clamp would be flat against the top tube, some people cut it completely off and use a wedge style seat clamp, doesn't bother me, frame still looks the same. I also cut a little from the top and bottom of my head tube because the fork I was using had a shorter steer tube, I could've modded my steer tube, but it was just easier to cut and if I hadn't said anything about it, nobody would have noticed. Some people have used dropout extensions to put their wheel further back and make more tire room, but once again, frame looks the same.

If you start with a women's frame, end with one, a cantilever frame, end with one. I have seen bars added to a frame to mimic a tank style frame, no issues there since it was already a men's frame.

Loopholes are fun to talk about, but don't fit within the spirit of this build-off. We are building for ourselves, not for cash and prizes.

As for anything goes, if it happens it happens, but don't be discouraged if you wanted to build a bike, just do it anyway. I for one am against anything goes only because it is TOO wide open, I could just start with something already built, it's anything goes right? I think that should be saved for a separate build-off or in the build challenge section, keep the build off as is because we have seen some awesome things done within the rules and many new guys have used it for their first build and great things have ended up coming from those guys because they felt safe entered a "restricted" build.

Let's all have fun when the time comes, and as for this one:

Mad Scientist said:
Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but what is a "bunny"? :?

I don't have a clue! :oops:

Back