Looking forward to RRBBO#8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chimichanga said:
Man i remember when the build offs were just for fun and no one really tried to find loop holes in the rules. People seem to forget everyday is a build off day and not wait for once a year to build something cool.
I'm building plenty of stuff in the mean time but I am saving my best stuff for the build off. I'm not going to be bending rules myself but I am contemplating a "legal frame mod" I can't speak to what it is because it is top secret till the build off. :lol: :wink:

All I will say is that my build involves fishnet stockings. To confuse you further.

This year for the build off, I'm going with a completely different philosophy. Last year, I added all kinds of cool doodads and other pieces to my bike, and in the end, it was impressive looking, but impractical.

This time, I'm building a simple bike all based around a really cool wheelset I plan to put together. Are they big/fat? Yes, but I'm going to try and use them without destroying the intended spirit of the rules.

I don't have a problem with allowing powdercoat. It would have to be a pretty incredible powdercoat job to make that be the deciding factor for me, and I feel like that is the case with most people. I choose based on the overall bike itself. I don't add points for powdercoat, nor do I subtract for paint.

Mad Scientist said:
I don't have a problem with allowing powdercoat. It would have to be a pretty incredible powdercoat job to make that be the deciding factor for me, and I feel like that is the case with most people. I choose based on the overall bike itself. I don't add points for powdercoat, nor do I subtract for paint.
I agree , if you allow pro pinstriping , why not powdercoat . A good paint job photos just as nice , but many prefer the durability of powder . And since you should be building a bike to keep , you should have that option . I think expensive pinstriping is more of a factor than type of finish .

Why don't we just say you each have a $200 max budget to stay within? That way these guys with $700 wheel sets will not have an unfair advantage. I know a lot of you guys spend that much in tires and paint.

only asking cuz im relatively new to the forum...... when does the build off begin ? how long are you given for the build ? is there a general theme given in the beginning of the buildoff ? ( i.e no multi-speeds , 26inch rims only , no cables , 10 speed frame only , etc ) ? 8)

junknutz1975 said:
only asking cuz im relatively new to the forum...... when does the build off begin ? how long are you given for the build ? is there a general theme given in the beginning of the buildoff ? ( i.e no multi-speeds , 26inch rims only , no cables , 10 speed frame only , etc ) ? 8)

All the rules (barring changes, as small ones can be made each year) are listed in a post above, so there are no regulations on wheel size, cables, speeds, etc. The build starts in May, and goes until August.

junknutz1975 said:
Normally we don't do a theme, just build something cool and have fun with it. Rules are as follows as of the last build off and normally runs May 1st - August 6th

1. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
2. Start a new post and use the bike name as the Subject.
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry
(grinding off fender tabs and cutting seat tube height is okay, just no major frame design changes).
4. Bike must not already be built.
5. Must include before, progress, and after photos (all in one thread please)
6. Bike must be ridable.
7. Use any parts you like....mo rat = mo bettah!
8. Parts can be attached any way you wish (includes welding).
9. Paint must be applied by builder...pinstripping by someone else is acceptable.
10. Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.
11. KEEP IT CHEAP...remember...IT'S A RAT ROD!!!!

But the rules are more of a guideline than set in stone. If you have a legitimate question if you can do something just post it and ask then we'll give a general consensus if it will be allowed or not.

Just to clarify, Frame modding means chopping stuff out and re-working entirely. Like this:
lldroid21as.jpg

This is a frame mod but IS allowed because it does not change the geometry or structure of the frame.
lrmp-1112-05-olowrider-bikeside.jpg

Peatbog said:
I suspect it has more to do with the do-it-yourself, rat-rod nature of the contest than anything else.

I think powder coat should be allowed myself. I have my own sand blast cabinet, my own 3' x 3' powder coat oven that I got just for the purpose of doing my own parts. I can fit a 26" bike frame in there (that's why I bought it). The bulk of the parts I coat are small parts for myself (car parts, bike parts, motorcycle parts etc.) The rest is usually done for friends. This is not my business, just a hobby. I have followed the rules for the two build offs I have been involved with. My first one was painted, this years build off had no paint, just bare metal. Personally, I believe if pin striping is allowed, PC should be also. I am also in favor of frame mods. Not everyone is able to weld, paint, powder coat, pin stripe, so put into it what you do best & make something cool!

Peatbog said:
I would be interested in seeing just how you go about powdercoating stuff. What kind of gun you use, temperature needed, how long you cook it, etc. That looks like something that would be fun to give a try.

It's real easy, it's all in the prep work. Most powders cure in the 350 to 450 temp range depending what it is. It's not rocket science, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. :lol: :lol: My son & I started out with just a regular kitchen oven which we acquired for free because the glass burner top was broken. It works great & we still use it for smaller parts. The larger oven was made to accomodate larger parts, it is nothing more than an old autoclave oven that we adapted a regular oven element & thermostat to. Works great! We also built our own blast cabinet for removing paint, rust etc. before coating.

I think it would be Awesome to watch an Anything Goes RRBBO! I'm bettin there's a bunch of RRB members just waiting to show of their talents! Just my thoughts. :)

Kingzebba1 said:
I think it would be Awesome to watch an Anything Goes RRBBO! I'm bettin there's a bunch of RRB members just waiting to show of their talents! Just my thoughts. :)

:mrgreen: +1 :mrgreen: 8)

KC so-cal said:
I wish there was a build off going on right now, I got something cool in mind and I cant wait till the next build off
Same here, I got a new idea for a frame extension, new technique for painting I want to try, and a new technique for creating more surface area for paint I want to try.

outskirtscustoms said:
All I will say is that my build involves fishnet stockings. To confuse you further.

I know there is a lot of talk about "anything goes", but I think we meant our builds, not our after hours ensemble. :p :shock:

I think an anything goes would be cool ultimately the most appealing bike wins regardless how much money you spend.

The Discovery biker build off had some proof of that with the two bikes in the bottom that had tons of money in them and were beat by the GMG bike.

kingfish254 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I know there is a lot of talk about "anything goes", but I think we meant our builds, not our after hours ensemble. :p :shock:

You are way off, they will be used on the bike itself.

I am in no matter what the rules. I played it conservative last year as it was my first Build Off and honestly could have had my bike done in 3-4 weeks. This year I am going to really push my creative and building skills. I am pretty sure whatever I build will have a motor.

Latest posts

Back