Looking for a tail light solution

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys, I'm going to buy a pair of the wired bullet lights from amazon and I'll take some pics when they get here and ask you guys what to do because I'm kind of clueless.

Is that cool?

Okay, got the lights today!

They are bigger than I thought actually...which is not bad at all for room to work in there. The body is all metal too which is good for the build durability, but might be hard to drill if I need to.

I opened it up so you guys can see what I'm working with here:

IMG_5168.jpg

I decided to scrap the idea of putting the lights under the seat because they are way too big and nothing would work in that regard.

I went to home depot to buy a couple L shaped bracket/braces...something like this I guess:

800px-Corner_braces_2933-4.jpg

So I can mount them around the rack braze-on (I think that's the correct term) here is a picture of where I want to mount it:

IMG_5173.jpg

They didn't have what I was looking for though...is there anywhere else I may be able to find them?

The screw width on the rack braze-on is 1/8" and the width of the screw on the light is 1/4"

Thanks! :mrgreen:

What's the inside diameter of the light housing? One thought is to take one of these stick-on lights(just a hair over 2 1/2" across), tap into one of the two wires and splice one wire and put a new one on the terminal and run both outside to a switch. Then break the glass from the bulb and use some plastic epoxy to glue the bulb base to the bottom, that would allow you to take it off to change batteries. Leave the switch in the middle in the on position and the outside switch would control it.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

The diameter of the housing is 2-1/8" at the front (it gets narrower towards the back because of the bullet shape)

I'm going to look for one of those braces at a specialty cabinetry store because I just realized I've used many similar parts when building things from Ikea and the chrome plating on them would match the bike too.

That's a pretty smart idea using the insides of one of those stick on led lights...I wonder if they make them a bit smaller, or are they all a standard size?

sauce said:
The diameter of the housing is 2-1/8" at the front (it gets narrower towards the back because of the bullet shape)

I'm going to look for one of those braces at a specialty cabinetry store because I just realized I've used many similar parts when building things from Ikea and the chrome plating on them would match the bike too.

That's a pretty smart idea using the insides of one of those stick on led lights...I wonder if they make them a bit smaller, or are they all a standard size?

Alot of guys here have used the stcik-up leds for a wide assortment of lighting projects. Any these round ones that use 3xAAA batteries are the same size, just a limitation of the triangle arrangement. I tried this one in that rear light above but it was too big also, could get the lense back on. That's when I switched to that smaller drawer led light.

Most automotive places now carry 1156 style led bulbs which will fit, the problem will be working voltage required, a 6v one might work.

This was something I rigged up for an external power source to get nighttime legal for a ride but could be adapted and hid better. Battery holder from Radio Shack drilled out and added switch then used a pipe hanger mated to the dynamo light(LED) & clamp. It was quick and dirty but could be adapted & hidden better if you didn't want to mess with your housing.

IMG_1198.jpg

Woah...that's pretty awesome. I didn't know they sold so much useful stuff at radio shack of all places...or maybe it's just that I have no clue what any of it is or that they exist.

That could be real cool if I could mount those boxes around or under the seat somewhere. I was also wondering if it may be possible to have one of those push button switches sticking out of the hollow screw that the wire comes out of...that would probably be the cleanest solution if it fits.

Does anybody here live near the Calabasas area by any chance that may be a able to give me a helping hand with this stuff?

Thanks much

I think about the best you could do is get a micromini switch like mine and drill a 1/4" hole in the back then wire up some batteries inside and use the present bulb holder somehow. Probably AAAs in a holder might fit that's about 2".

if you can drop a finish nail down the hole you can mount a regular mini push button switch inside and the nail will push up on it from the bottom..

Back