Looking for a tail light solution

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into those bullet tail lights that people attach to their seat stay areas on their bikes...

http://amzn.to/97YEn2 (would be nice if these could be battery operated)

These are battery operated, albeit very expensive and not quite the same look...

http://amzn.to/9ByC0v

But I don't like how they mount so low on the bike in terms of visibility from drivers.

I was wondering if perhaps I'd be able to mount a light on each side of a seat clamp (http://amzn.to/cUe9zV) and just plop that between the actual seat clamp and the seat so that the lights are side by side and higher up on the bike for more efficient appearance to drivers.

Anybody know if the fittings would be correct before I potentially order stuff from online and hit a wall?

Thanks!

Those SOMA ones mount on the same size bolt as fender,racks and waterbottle cages use which is much smaller than those seat bolts. You could always use some P-Clamps to mount them up further on the seat stays. Found at the hardware store or something like this http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3008_1.html

cman said:
Those SOMA ones mount on the same size bolt as fender,racks and waterbottle cages use which is much smaller than those seat bolts. You could always use some P-Clamps to mount them up further on the seat stays. Found at the hardware store or something like this http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3008_1.html

The one on the right looks like it may work...my only concern is that it's plastic. The soma lights are made from metal and look to be pretty heavy duty...I don't know how the plastic clamp would hold up under the weight of the two lights.

scrumblero said:
if you use a qwik release seat clamp they will fit the skewer...

Which would be one of these...(without the hinge), correct?

http://amzn.to/bYzCyP

no, that one has an internal screw, i meant like this...

41ig%2BOE5QeL._SS500_.jpg

also. you could do an LED conversion on that First little light with the visor, I've done smaller.. :roll:

You can find all kinds of lights at a truck stop. They have all kinds and sizes too and the prices are average to fair for some stuff.

scrumblero said:
no, that one has an internal screw, i meant like this...

41ig%2BOE5QeL._SS500_.jpg

Well...I think they are the same exact thing...one just comes with the screw and the hinge and one doesn't.

31RDNcdX8rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31UzepsGxjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It looks like the soma lights have a screw as a part of the body if I'm not mistaken and that they would each need their own nut to be fastened to the seat post clamp from each side...which makes me wonder how the clamp would then fasten to the bar.

c3f751c88da04ff2bf732210.L.jpg

Does that make sense?

scrumblero said:
also. you could do an LED conversion on that First little light with the visor, I've done smaller.. :roll:

Any way to get it running on some sort of battery as well?

I took an LED drawer light that looked very similar to this;

582243.jpg

Added a mini-pushbutton switch from radio shack, hacked up and re-arranged the drawer light innards to to fit the light base and solder mounted it all on the switch like this (uses 2-2032 batteries);

IMG_1614.jpg

Final result, mo rat;

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

Umm... :shock:

That's awesome.

Think you'd be able to do the same thing with these?

31VwyMoyGSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'll pay you for your services...or drive down to Encinitas with a case of beer and we can go cruising. :mrgreen:

no problem... that light is 3" round, plenty of room for a conversion!! :D

this is one of my smaller LED conversions...

DSC03088.jpg

sauce said:
Umm... :shock:

That's awesome.

Think you'd be able to do the same thing with these?

I'll pay you for your services...or drive down to Encinitas with a case of beer and we can go cruising. :mrgreen:

Don't know what the dimensions are of that light but the longer the housing, the easier as it gives you more room to put the battery and electronics. The light I used took awhile to find something that work well, tried a small reading light with 3 button batteries but it was too kludged. Probably a miniature paddle swith right behind the mounting stud on that one would be good, probably wouldn't take as much hacking to get done.

It's really not hard to do, I have one more I could maybe put some more steps up in pics.

scrumblero said:
no problem... that light is 3" round, plenty of room for a conversion!! :D

this is one of my smaller LED conversions...

Is that also battery operated like socal_jack's?

socal_jack said:
Don't know what the dimensions are of that light but the longer the housing, the easier as it gives you more room to put the battery and electronics. The light I used took awhile to find something that work well, tried a small reading light with 3 button batteries but it was too kludged. Probably a miniature paddle swith right behind the mounting stud on that one would be good, probably wouldn't take as much hacking to get done.

It's really not hard to do, I have one more I could maybe put some more steps up in pics.

Here is a description for the light I found on a website...it has the dimensions of the light.

Description

This vintage looking tail light will make your cruiser or OCC bicycle look retro. Nice size rear light with visor. The light measures 3-1/2" long by 3" tall. You can use this light as a dummy light for just looks or it's already wired to be hooked up to your generator or battery pack and is fully functional (generator/battery pack not included). Brand new reproduction light, all metal and shiny chrome.

source

Much appreciation for your willingness to help me out. :D

ya it has 3 button batteries in it and a switch on the bottom, I guetted one of teh mini bullet lights for it

boy140.jpg

scrumblero said:
ya it has 3 button batteries in it and a switch on the bottom, I guetted one of teh mini bullet lights for it

boy140.jpg

How does it turn on/off? Did you make a hole in the light housing so the button/switch on the reading light pokes out of it?

sauce said:
scrumblero said:

How does it turn on/off? Did you make a hole in the light housing so the button/switch on the reading light pokes out of it?

You push the pointy backend piece. I used one in the light above before going to the drawer light, for that application the reading light didn't work as well. The piece on the end kept getting knocked off also, which was a PITA.

sauce said:
scrumblero said:

yes, I just mounted the switch from it vertically coming out the bottom.. its the white dot below the mounting bolt in this crappy pic..

IMG_20101103_162439.jpg

socal_jack said:
sauce said:
scrumblero said:

You push the pointy backend piece. I used one in the light above before going to the drawer light, for that application the reading light didn't work as well. The piece on the end kept getting knocked off also, which was a PITA.

the only parts I used from it were the switch , LED and batteries, I made my own battery holder.. I'm not sure what was being fiddly for you but I didn't use that part.

from the size of that light I'd say he could use 3x AAA

these are standard parts you can get at the electronics store, this is just a cheap way of sourcing them....

scrumblero said:
the only parts I used from it were the switch , LED and batteries, I made my own battery holder.. I'm not sure what was being fiddly for you but I didn't use that part.

from the size of that light I'd say he could use 3x AAA

these are standard parts you can get at the electronics store, this is just a cheap way of sourcing them....

I trimmed the body down and superglued the remaining body into the bulb receptacle that used to be in the light housing. I used the pointy piece at the end also in its original function to switch on/off, thru the rear of the light housing. That piece just didn't want to stay on and I didn't want to glue it. New setup works much better, light beam was also too narrow on the reading light.

Here's a shot of how it looked the first time with the reading light, (just noticed everything is getting a nice beach rust after a year or so)
IMG_1315.jpg

Back