lookie what i got!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i know know much about the Olympia so i was wondering if you guys can tell me something about it.
S5030164.jpg

S5030166.jpg

S5030167.jpg

S5030168.jpg

S5030169.jpg

S5030170.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Any info you could get me would be great!!

Taken from http://www.bikeforums.net archives in regards to Olympia Bicycles. A few relavant posts: (Not in reference to your particular bike!!)

It's the second oldest Italian bike company, right behind Bianchi. They made everything from city bikes, to lightweight racers. Your bike looks like late '70s.

luker

you need a new chain and most likely a new freewheel as well (although it looks okay in the pictures). Crane was the top-drawer shimano stuff in the '70s. Late '70s it morphed into dura ace (long after the rest of the grouppo). Simichrome or maybe naval jelly on the rust with some bronze wool, and those lugs will look like new. Treat the saddle and retension it (there's a nice long thread recently about leather saddle maintenance). You'll be amazed! It really doesn't look far from perfect.

Peter Askin

I just joined this forum, and came across your question of last year about Olympia . Absolutely top notch brand of Italian bike. If you go to Italy, you sometimes see very old ones used as daily transportation, which is a certain kind of testimony as to how well made something really is. Olympias were sold in the 70's and perhaps early early 80's Westchester County, New York, by a man who had been boyhood friends with the family that owns Olympia Cicli in Italy. He was the sole importer- all Olympias that are in the US today came from him. At the time of your posting, I'd just returned from Italy with a new Olympia IQ 2. I'm 48, and bought my first Olympia at age 17, from the man here in New York. Cost 195 bucks.

Olympia today has taken pretty active steps to stay technologically current- they are as into carbon fiber and aluminum as anyone out there, and make a ful line of racing, mountain and city bikes. At the time that I got my new Olympia, I also had a new Kestrel 200ems. Great bike, but nothing I've ridden goes around turns like the Olympia!

What model bike do you have? Does it still say anything on the top tube? The decals from that era were pretty fragile, but you may have a Sprint Junior, or a Special Piuma (piuma is feather in Italian).

sweet man, i can't make much of that info you gave me. could someone ballpark it for me? i need money to finish my other bike projects lol. thanks a lot

-Rob

ratrodrob said:
sweet man, i can't make much of that info you gave me. could someone ballpark it for me? i need money to finish my other bike projects lol. thanks a lot

-Rob

Fully Tuned up!
Steel Whool The Chrome
Make sure Tires are Good.
and If It was Mine, I would List it after all that for $175.00
on Craigslist.

It's a Well made Bike.

That violet varsity looks sweet. The serial number is from January 1966 when Schwinn goofed up their new serial system for a month.

Larry said:
That violet varsity looks sweet. The serial number is from January 1966 when Schwinn goofed up their new serial system for a month.
is that a bad thing or a good thing? this makes a total of 3 varsitys i currently own.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but your olympia bike is a 70's dept. store bike made by huffy, ck seattube, not the italian brand olympia. its still a cool old school bike though.

Bicyclerick said:
Sorry to bust your bubble, but your olympia bike is a 70's dept. store bike made by huffy, ck seattube, not the italian brand olympia. its still a cool old school bike though.
well i know the handle bars arn't original but i didn't IT WAS A FAKE!!! OMG OMG OMG! j/k thanks for the info it saved my from making a fool out of myself on craigslist lol.

ratrodrob said:
well i know the handle bars arn't original but i didn't IT WAS A FAKE!!! gosh gosh gosh! j/k thanks for the info it saved my from making a fool out of myself on craigslist lol.

yeah im pretty sure the craigslist vultures woulda let you know too, perhaps not as nicely, still a nice clean bike with some style, (i like the varsity myself)

CCR said:
yeah im pretty sure the craigslist vultures woulda let you know too, perhaps not as nicely, still a nice clean bike with some style, (i like the varsity myself)
you want it? i have that and two girl varsitys. lol. i had to try. :lol:

yeah i'm sre it would, poop. i need rom my garage is packed with ikes,tools, and minibikes. i have too many bikes to count

Back