LocoJoe's Recent Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Thanksgiving)

I agree nice pic from Thanksgiving.

Is the new dam for irrigation, flood control or fun? A new dam was recently built on the river in town for a whitewater park. It uses gates similar to those in your picture.

cman said:
I agree nice pic from Thanksgiving.

Is the new darn for irrigation, flood control or fun? A new darn was recently built on the river in town for a whitewater park. It uses gates similar to those in your picture.
Thanks Peatbog, Clancy. The new dam replaced an old one and as far as I know it has always just been for aesthetics. To keep the water level up so the river looks nice and full within the city.
In the 50s a 'Big Ditch" was built around the city tying in to the river above and below the city to control flooding.

I'd like to see a photo of your new dam/water park.

Here is the live webcam. http://www.boiseriverpark.com/

Opening day. There is still a couple more phases to be competed.

brp_waveshaper_400.jpg

Even more nice shots! Thanks for posting!

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Lunch and Lake)

Thanks Jerry.
Clancy I've often thought if they could do something like that here on our "big ditch". Man made rapids.

Out riding today in beautiful weather. Rode to lunch and stopped by small lake.

Rode to a McDonalds in the big city instead of the one in my town.
IMG_0359.JPG

Former sand pit now a city fishing lake.
P1070894.JPG

P1070904.JPG

Put new tires on my hybrid not too long ago. I'm liking the looks better than the gumwalls that I had on it.
P1070862.JPG

I like your Specialized, hopefully my Giant Nutra I'm building will turn out similar, kind of a jack-of-all-trades daily bike, but I'm still jealous of your saddle.

Yeah, my Diamond Back is very much like that, and it's a nice rider.
I put the Wright leather saddle on it off my brother's old Raleigh. That and a Redline layback seat post is just right!
I put Bontrager (sp?) street tires on it, and it rolls nice. I like that bag. May have to ask Santa! :D

Ft Worth built some rocks in the main Channel of the Trinity River in Trinity Park like that for the kayakers.
The only time there are any standing waves is when we have had LOTS of rain and they let water out of a lake upstream. :(
I got lucky and got a few pictures a couple of years ago. If I can find them, I'll add a couple.
Not much kayaking in the current drought! :(

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Prairie Sunset)

Looks like a nice sunny day to go riding, especially with your Mom
Like the setup you got going on your Schwinn :D

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Christmas Lights)

OK, so towards the end was the police station and municipal building... wow, usually a state agency like that might do some white lights on small ornamental trees, but your city went all out! Must feel good to live in a city where nobody whines about the decorations because of different beliefs! I love it!

^+1 what sensor said. Christmas lights ride is great.

Im pretty sure most if not all of those lights were put up by the city. Compared to other places, I think we are pretty lucky that the city cares enough to do it. I guess people could complain since its our tax money that enables this kind of stuff.... but if anybody has complained, I haven't heard it?

Randy also runs a local community website http://www.haysvilleonline.com which in turn also has a message board and a companion FB page, giving people an ample opportunity to voice their opinion.... Like I said... I havent heard a word.

I also believe the city has turned the whole thing into a festival, where they do the "Official" lighting of the city.

Great Video, glad I'm not the only one who rides around to look at the lights :D
Your town does a great job with all the decorations
BTW: My wife really likes your Christmas bike
And that's a mighty cool looking gas station
Thanks for sharing

Thanks all for the comments. Steve tell your wife thanks.
Mitch is right, all the lights in the video are put up by the city. The only exception might be the gas station which houses the Chamber of Commerce but it wouldn't surprise me if the city didn't put those up too.

I think I've mentioned it somewhere (maybe here) before but those pumps aren't original to that station. My Dad pumped gas out of those pumps at their original location a different station in the late 50s and early 60s.

Some stills from the ride...

The flag in the pic is on a passing train.
P1080222.JPG

P1080233.JPG

P1080158.JPG

Back