* LA ROTOSA *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had displayed that option for the dropouts from the beginning, I would have given it my vote, steered away from the above mentioned swedish neutrality and taken a firm stand in the matter. :wink: :lol: Very nice shape!

Thanks guys!! :D
As I liked them all, and could not shake my neutrality about choosing between them either, I built these.
Pretty happy with them, got time between 9am and 10am to weld one of this can openers this beautiful Sunday morning... neighbours love to wake up to the sound of my grinder :roll: :lol:
Another reason to be happy, I have a felling that this time my welds might hold, at least they look really tough this time... we´ll see :oops:
(I´m starting my prairies to the Weld gods tonight)
If all works well, I see more home built dropouts in the future!
More pics tomorrow!!!

Welded the first dropout to frame.
The other one will find it´s place there this afternoon after work.

Just hit me, but I think I may have some trouble adjusting the chain and centring the wheel with this vertical design instead of the common horizontal one. :? :?:

cool project! but you do such nice work - will you be able to leave it ratty?

yeah, those vertical dropouts may give you some grief. you may need a deralliuer or some kind of chain tensioner.

Thanks UncleKudzu! This one will definitely be a rat! 8)

Quick update! Got to grind and weld the last dropout after work,

Measured everything several times, just to make sure everything was lined up the proper way
and I think I pretty much nailed it, better yet, it seems that welds will hold!
Everything is down hill from this point :!: :D

Nice to see some one taking a chance with their design. Some times I think we forget we can always cut it off and try again.

Those are really clean looking, great job! Between the use of half-links and different chainring/rear sprocket combo, you'll find the right setup for your chain. There's always chain tensioners, right?

Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks g-ratter and Dr. Tankenstein!
I spent quite long time making sure the last dropout was precisely aligned with the other, so I have no problem aligning and centring the wheel.
You said it Doc, the "use of half-links and different chainring/rear sprocket combo" or a "chain tensioner" will probably save my butt. :D

Can´t wait to get back in the garage!

Like this:
!B80eogwCWk~$(KGrHqZ,!iwEzNRpWMcpBM4EI,W0!Q~~_12.JPG

I've got one coming today to help me pull my tire to the end of the droputs on my Cranbrook/Sante Fe frame.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks Joeskustoms!
If I can weld everyone can weld!
This are my first effective welds, at least I´m hoping they hold :?

Got the handlebars almost done yesterday, and some other stuff.
Pics coming soon!!!

Nice flip on the seatstays. This is turning out cool. I get your comment now on my Typhoon. What are you doing on the fork? On my dropouts I've been trying to leave the majority of the existing dropout in place and weld to that so as to not disturb the brased joint for easer finishing.More photos please!
dscf1849p.jpg

By null at 2010-05-09

Well forks are giving me a hard time, I want to get them bent, but my usual methods wont work on them. I know I should build a bender of some sort, but time is short and I want to have this baby rolling ASAP, can´t spend a day working on that. We´re three weeks from summer time down here, I want to be riding it by then. I´ll figure up something :roll:

The dropouts have been mostly a challenge for me, to see if I was able to cut and weld´em the proper way. Besides one was gone, had to do something about that.
This build is giving me confidence to start a build from scratch, thing that I would love to do.
I´ll try to post some pics as soon as I have the chance! :wink:

Did I here my name mentioned? :lol: :lol: :lol: Your dropouts came out really cool and I’m not sure if I have ever seen anyone do that with the seatstays before? But I sure like the way it looks!! I like the way you think and would love to see you do a build from scratch! Great work so far!! I can’t wait to see more picks!

PS: I’ve never bent a fork on purpose before so no help from me. :shock:

Hey Half Link! I thought it was an odd pic of you that one up there! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the kind words mate! Can´t believe no one has done that seatstays flip before, I´m gonna have to do some research about it.
I been doing some thinking this weekend, and as I can´t buy a conduit bender (nobody sales that here) I´m gona build my own, it will help me bending the forks, and some other stuff too I hope.
Some more building today after work!

Hey buddy! :) About making a rusted effect on the fiberglass parts, you can achieve that with some regular paint of suitable colours, a sponge to smear and dab the paint with and some drybrushing. Just look at something that's got the kind of rust you'd like to mimic and let that be your guide. You've got an artistic eye, I'm pretty sure you could make it look right! :)

Thanks on the tip my friend, we do think alike, that´s exactly what I had in mind.
Sorry I have no updates, I´m doing my best to clear the agenda and attack this build soon!!!

Back