Krusty Fastback, Wildcat III, Iverson Drag (10/5/12)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stingray Stardust and KRATEFEST 2012 bits (6/18/12)

"beautiful (like my wife) sky blue." How is Smurfette doing these days? HA ! Just messing withyou. You, my friend, have picked up a few very cool bikes! What was the basket on the stardust? Was that a rack a basket clipped in and out of? I am looking at this on my phone and can't quite make it out.

Re: Stingray Stardust and KRATEFEST 2012 bits (6/18/12)

Yeah, the basket is one that clips on and off. The rack is fine but I didn't see the reason to leave it on the bike without the other half. I ended up putting the basket from my stingray (see above) on her bike instead. She uses it for her water when we go cruising. She still wants an original basket since I guess females like that sorta thing.

Re: Sears 24" Spyders & 5 Speed Stingray (7/3/12)

Here are my latest Craigslist scores. These two Spyders I picked up mostly for the hub brake and very clean 5 speed wheel. The 5 speed spyder has new brake cables, new brake pads, nice clean seat, original rear slick and front gripper slick on it and also a brand new chrome chain. I stripped this one and put all the single speed parts on it for the wife. I did leave the nice clean seat since the other bike had a junky seat on it and figure I can just recover it. I'm going to be using all the parts off the 5 speed for my boys 24" spyder I got from Kratefest (above picture posted).

spyder.jpg

Here is the single speed spyder. It came with a brand new rear wheel and tire. This is now just a bare frame in the garage.

0198eim_27.jpg

Disclaimer: these pictures I got off of the internet and do not own these. ALthough the 5 speed is the actual bike that I did buy, the single coaster brake model spyder is a random picture from google images. I forgot to take actual pics of the bikes before I had stripped them. The 5 speed model was actually for sale on ebay for a while for $400 so finding pictures of that bike was pure luck. I scored both bikes for $100.

I have been on the hunt for a Schwinn Krate in my price range for as long as I can remember. I purchased this 1976 5 Speed Stingray from Chicago on friday and figure this will be as close as I can get to an actual Krate for quite some time. I really dig the 5 speed stingrays and wanted something I am able to ride without squashing the tires (fastbacks). The seat is taped on the underside and the rear tube had to be replaced. Its missing the chainguard but surprisingly it still has the original Schwinn front tire with no cracks. All the cables will need replacing also but that is no biggie. I think I'm going to be using my Schwinn Stickshifter for this bike since I hate the thumb shifter that originally came on it.

2012-06-30103158.jpg

On my way home after a 4 hour drive I had come across this ad on craigslist for a new manta ray that needed to be sold this weekend! The kid that owned the bike had a temper and decided to make like 20 cuts in the seat. Guess his parents decided that was that and decided the kid didn't deserve the bike. I scored this for $60 and will be using this for a 3 speed model using the rear wheel I bought from Kratefest.

2012-06-30103219.jpg

Great Finds, Almost bought this Manta with the Cut up seat myself, end up using the money on a Stingray Midget instead. Was at Kratefest myself, scored 3 bikes there since sold two but kept the special one that talked to me a 3 speed AMF Renegade with the shifter on the bar. The seller was cool and the price was right at $75.

Yeah. The Manta was an ok price. It is my second and the thing is very comfy and the BIG tires really help with holding my weight unlike fastbacks. I knew I could get this cheap since it was on CL for two weeks and seller wanted it gone. It was just an 'on the way' pickup as I needed to justify going to chicago for bikes I wanted to come home with more than just one. I'm thinking of using the Manta Ray for next years build off. I have some ideas that will put this thing into its own league. And the wide seat fits my ... nicely.

It has been a while but the wife is starting to regulate my bike habit so I haven't had too many scores. Had to hide these from the wife for a while but I finally was able to sweet talk her into seeing them as I wanted to start working on them :lol: .

First was something I snagged just for the fact a coaster Fastback is not something you see everyday. It's krusty rusty 69' but it will be a nice project for sure. Thinking of doing a krate treatment on it and putting an s-2 wheel on the rear. The fastback tires can't hold my weight so in order to enjoy this bike I will need to upgrade to a bigger rear tire.

2012-09-10175508.jpg

2012-09-10175422.jpg

Next up is a Murray Wildcat III...forgot the year but early 70's if I remember. Got this for $60 and was well worth it for just the tires. Has a rear newer Grasshopper green slick and a front Goodyear green tire as wheel. Will be changing the front back to a standard width tire because it just doesn't look right with such a fat tire in the front. Plus, I want to put a front brake back on this bike and can't do it with the wide tire. Seats not too bad...couple cracks but nothing to freak over. Bmx pedals and grips will go also. It's also got the incorrect sprocket but luckily I already have one of those which will find its way onto the bike. (since purchased I have found an NOS front Goodyear green orange/lined tire off ebay, a 3 speed stick shifter off ebay, and green sparkle grips as well).

2012-09-10174527.jpg

2012-09-10174423.jpg

Last but not least this has to be my favorite muscle bike find yet. Its a 1969 Iverson Drag Stripper (George Barris design). 3 speed rear with a front drum brake and a cool dial shifter console with wood grain! The only things that are missing on this bike is the sissy bar pad (which I really need to find) and the bottom cover to the shifter console. Its does need some work as the previous original owner (which he bought at ACE hardware back in 1970) painted over the glowing orange paint. He also painted over the chrome sissy bar but it is clean from what I see under the paint. I am currently working on this and hope to remove the existing paint to reveal the glowing orange original paint underneath. If anyone has any parts or leads on parts like the pad and the shifter console please let me know.
thanks

2012-09-10173254.jpg

2012-09-10173508.jpg

2012-09-10173802.jpg

Back