Krusty Fastback, Wildcat III, Iverson Drag (10/5/12)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked this up last night at a bike charity sale. Paid $20 for it.

2012-05-17190535.jpg

2012-05-17190558.jpg

2012-05-17190618.jpg

Re: Hiawatha Innovator

Can someone tell me, if I soak the chain guard in oxalic acid will the acid eat the painted decal off? There is small surface rust spots surrounding a lot of the outline of the decal and not sure how to remove it without ruining the paint.

That is awesome for a $20 score.

I missed out ona BMX last weekend at one of those sales for $5 but I said I don't have the money yet but when I got back they sold it anyway so they couldn't wait 10 minutes.

Thanks guys. I ended up stripping it down last night and soaking all the parts but the chain guard (see post above why). Front hub was bent (replaced with new), the rear wheel has a broken spoke (fixed that also), and swapped the sissy bar with a cleaner original one that was also thrown in with the deal (seat also but is junk). This bike was held for me at no charge but I threw the kid $10 for my gratitude.

to answer your question-I use cheapo Dollar General SOS type soap pads on chrome and paint.It will remove all your rust and leave a scratch free chrome finish.Wont harm paint unless you get aggressive.Go lightly around those edges and youll get off the area you asked about.
If you need examples I can put up pics of entire bikes (paint) and numerous chainguards done this way.

here ya go

guard before
hiawatha012-1.jpg

guard after
hiawatha013.jpg

I used cheap SOS pads on this bikes entire frame to remove brown pasty gunk.After a wax it shines like new paint.
schwinn.jpg

same guard as yours done the same way,this one was pretty bad.
031-1.jpg

thats a great find for 20 bucks.. and its got bar bike wheels... you can ride it to the bar
have a few .. and ride it home .. ya dont fall down..

Thanks for the help Xcruiser. Guess its time to pick up so SOS pads....always used steel wool but I don't think that would be a good idea in this case. As far as the reflector goes...that's one of the first things I noticed on this bike after seeing someone else on this forum have one also. Pretty neat little Kellogs prize. I'm also thinking of leaving the 'bar bike wheels' on it since it doesn't have a kickstand. Will be posting pics on Monday after I finish cleaning it up so check back!

Re: Hiawatha Innovator & updated Fresh Bikes (5/30/12)

^^Its a 20 inch bike^^ Here is my after pics of cleaning the bike over the weekend. I forgot to put back on my cool reflector but make certain it will be on it. Also had a parts Murray bike with some old white pedals that I thought would look good on this. The tires are off a bmx but fits the ok at the moment. Will restore this with a slick at the rear and street brick tire up front when the funds rebuild.

2012-05-20200937.jpg

2012-05-20200909.jpg

Re: Hiawatha Innovator and updated Fresh Bikes

So this lady that I work with and her husband just bought a retirement hobby farm. She came into work telling me her husband had found some bikes and a motobike but threw them in the trash :x . I told her WHY? The next day she tells me that he pulled them from the road and that I could have them. Well this past Saturday her husband brought them down for me and I picked them up that afternoon. Not great bikes but the bikes had some good donor parts. The two girls bikes are currently awaiting the garbage man (just the frames) since the chrome and wheels I salvaged.
First is an old Team Murray lightweight frame bike. Not great but parts were kept.
2012-05-19152035.jpg

Second is another old Murray with a nice childs seat and a 3 speed hub. Stripped everything but the frame. Even the crank was nice and matched my Innovator to the T.
2012-05-19152121.jpg

Third is a Detel Legend 2000 10 speed with a 3 piece crank. Currently this bike is not dismantled yet.
2012-05-19152255.jpg

Last was my greatest surprise and worth my trip to get these. I thought when she told me motobike it was going to be a motorcycle based bicycle. I believe this is a Yamaha YZ 125 around 1979. It doesn't have the piston or exhaust but is not seized up. I'm thinking of putting this on craigslist and accepting offers since I'm not sure if I want to fix it.
2012-05-19153112.jpg

Re: Hiawatha Innovator and updated Fresh Bikes

Picked up these two last week.

First is a 2006 Schwinn Manta Ray. Found this on ebay classifieds (never knew it existed). Never seen one local so I paid almost retail but it's in nice shape with an extra tall sissy bar. The most comfy bike I think I own out of my 20"ers. Paid $150.
5756i0m_20.jpg

Second is a 1998 reproduction Schwinn Stingray. This is built just like the original ones. The back of the seat is ripped but overall I am happy with the bike. Paid $125.
5L25Ia5K43Kc3M33N6c5fb97b4205aa311407-1.jpg

MIssed out on a 2006 Schwinn Stingray BFK for $100. Was going to pick it up last night when the seller sold it out from under me. I was pretty ticked off but maybe it was for the better.

Re: Stingray Stardust and KRATEFEST 2012 bits (6/18/12)

Lately my bike buying habits were getting out of hand. My wife was telling me "NO MORE BIKES". So last week I thought maybe if I buy her a bike, possibly she will have the same passion and understanding as I do with these classic gems. This is a 1969 Schwinn Stingray Stardust in beautiful (like my wife) sky blue. This was on C.L. for like 2 weeks. Paid $75. The guy told me his wife got it when she was a young girl and rode it like 6 times. Came with brand new tires and tubes and original everything else.

2012-05-31154811.jpg

2012-05-31155110.jpg

This is how the bike looked after slaving for 32 hours cleaning and polishing this beauty. I took off the basket rack because it was missing but the day I find another basket my wife will be getting it put back on. As for now she likes it the way it is :)

2012-06-01125311.jpg

KRATEFEST 2012 finds.
This was my first Kratefest that I have ever been to (didn't know it existed until last week). I drove 2 hours in the rain but lucky for me the rain stopped as soon I got off the Sycamore IL exit. The last 2 weeks I halted surfing craigslist and held off buying another shifter from Kingfish just so I could have some dough for the show.

First thing I found to buy was this 24" Sears Spray painted Spyder. The guy was packing up fast so I jumped on it. I could see the potential it had and have been looking for a 24" bike for a while now so here was my chance. It definetly needs some love but I will do this bike justice. As you can see it is missing some things but lucky for me I have a stock pile now at home that is growing. Paid $20.

2012-06-15182817.jpg

Next was a 24" rat trap style springer fork. This old man wanted $50 but offered $40 so I could still keep shopping. I have never seen or touched one of these in real life so this was a cool find for me.

2012-06-15182733.jpg

Next I was trying to find a front 24" wheel assembly for the sears. Came accross this stand in the corner that had everything you could think of for sale for schwinn classics. Didn't have many other brand bikes besides Schwinn so the hunt was for any 24" wheel I could find. Found this wheel and the guy told me it was off a Manta Ray. The rim is very clean and straight. Even had a new tire and tube on it. Got this for $25.

2012-06-15182633-1.jpg

Headed over to another seller that had a trailer with a 3 speed OCC Schwinn Stingray chopper and few other odd bikes. He had a 3-in-1 bike I almost bought but I have too many one riders already. The bike turned from a road bike, to a swing bike, to a uni-cycle all in a snap of some switches. Was a real cool bike. I missed on a 3 speed chopper a while back on C.L. for $100 so out of curiosity I asked the seller how much he wanted for his. He said $280 but I didn't have that much with me and didn't really need another chopper I couldn't ride. He told me he had a spare rear wheel if I was interested in just having a 3 speed hub to work with. I said "sure, why not". He told me he wanted $50 but it didn't have a chain adjuster, cable, or shifter. Said they were easy to buy online (i sure hope so). I showed no interest in it so he threw out a counter on his first offer to $30. Said he didn't want to take it home with him. Now I'm searching for the rest of this hub so I can put it on my 2006 Manta Ray.

2012-06-15182914.jpg

Last pic shows all the small stuff I picked up for multiple projects I have and will have. Picked up a 5 speed Schwinn Stick shifter w/overload tube, a 48" sweet sissy bar (new), a broken speedometer (didn't know until I got home), 2 white cable for my shifter/brakes, some new grips for my wifes Stardust since I will be stealing hers for my Fastback, and a springer fork from an Orange Krate. Scored all this for a total of $215. Not a steal but ok in my book.

2012-06-15184450.jpg

Back