Kokomo, In USA NEW VIDEOS!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I figured I would get out with the cam and get some good neighborhood shots for the forum.
I didn't expect to get so many of those "Dang I wish I had my camera" shots........Lucky I had my cam with me!!!
I'll try to get some more of all the landmarks here in town but it was getting late.

And you wonder why I say "Outskirts Customs" (outskirts of town)
This is about 2 blocks from my house
P7310052.jpg

P7310054.jpg

Across the field from Kokomo Speedway (good ol' dirt track racing) If you look close you can see the bleachers just over my seat and handlebars, the other big thing is a grainary.
P7310053.jpg

The long closed Studebaker repair shop Wish they hadn't painted over the sign
P7310055.jpg

And of coarse the local drive in! I had no idea there'd be a ??? 1920's ??? Ford Chubmobile there!!!

P7310058.jpg

P7310059.jpg

And just so you can see the car
P7310056.jpg

Re: Kokomo, In USA

jonvo4591 said:
that's a sweet little speedster there! way down in kokomo ;)

Yeah, I saw it when I was riding past not even thinking of taking more than one shot at the drive in and caught a glimpse of that and had to stop.

more pics of my home town.
We Care park
P8130071.jpg

an old railroad bridge
P8130072.jpg

pedestrian bridge
P8130076.jpg

ballpark
P8130077.jpg

Yes we have a tank in our park, how sweet is that? can't wait to build an army bike and get a better pic
P8130075.jpg

One of our local museums the Siberling Mansion
P8130079.jpg

couldn't help not getting the jogging babe in the second shot....Ah the scenery...... :wink:
P8130080.jpg

my LBS and Pawn shop in one building, how convenient.... :mrgreen:
P8130081.jpg

jonvo4591 said:
that mansion looks pretty cool. Large old architecture fascinates me also :)
Yeah the inside is done up into a museum and the bottom is full of old Haynes cars (The first gasoline powered car was invented here in kokomo) I'm a huge car nut too.

jonvo4591 said:
Wow, sounds pretty sweet! Any chance you have any pictures of the inside?

I don't right now. I'll try to get in there sometime and take a few when I can.

Hey guys just found a little info on my home town and thought I'd share it.

Kokomo is known as the "City of Firsts" so here are a few of the firsts we have done:

First Commercially Built Auto by Elwood Haynes. Road tested July 4, 1894, on Pumpkinvine Pike, east of Kokomo.

First Pneumatic Rubber Tire invented by D.C. Spraker, president of Kokomo Rubber Tire Co., in October 1894. The tire consisted of strips of three-ply rubber, canvas and other wrappings of vulcanized rubber formed around a slender pole.

First Aluminum Casting by William “Billy” Johnson at the Ford & Donnelly Foundry in 1895.

First Carburetor developed by George Kingston in 1902.

First Stellite Cobalt-based Alloy, a wonder metal discovered by Elwood Haynes in 1906 while searching for a metal to be used in producing tableware.

First Stainless Steel invented by Elwood Haynes in 1912 while attempting to satisfy Mrs. Haynes’ demand for tarnish-free tableware.

First American Howitzer Shell used in actual warfare, made by Superior Machine Tool Co. in 1918

First Aerial Bomb with Fins invented in 1918 by Liberty Pressed Metal Co.

First Mechanical Corn Picker developed by John Powell in the early 1920s.

First Dirilyte Golden-Hued Tableware invented by Carl Molin in 1926.

First Canned Tomato Juice developed by Walter Kemp, Kemp Brothers Canning Co., in 1928 at the request of a St. Louis physician searching for a baby food to use in his clinic.

First Push-Button Car Radio developed by Delco Radio Division of General Motors in 1938.

First All-Metal Lifeboats & Rafts manufactured by Globe America Stove Company. (lifeboat in December 1941 and life raft in November 1943, nicknamed the “Kokomo Kid”).

First Signal Seeking Car Radio developed by Delco Radio Division of General Motors in 1947

First All-Transistor Car Radio developed by Delco Radio Division of General Motors in 1957.

maddogrider said:
Kokomo the first time i ever ran my truck into somebody in front of me :oops:.
lol, I haven't managed to do that one yet. But we are the home of a lot of dumb drivers who like to stop suddenly or run stop signs.

Yea man U.S 31 there was an old guy that wanted to turn left from the wrong lane, had no choice but to hit him. Cool town, cool pictures man

Thanks, I got kinda a crappy cam but it works. Kokomo does have some crazy drivers but it has it's advantages, one of my first cars was a '70's VW bug. I bought it for $150 not running and kinda rusty, sprayed some carb cleaner in it and it fired up and I was able to drive it home, lucky I called my insurance and put full coverage on it, guy ran a stop sign on the way home and hit the side knocking off a trim piece. I get an estimate for the insurance guy $1800 (rocker was rusted and they had to replace that too. Insurance totaled it and sent me a check for $1200! After paying $75 to impound for towing and storage to get the car back and the $150 I paid for the car, I pocketed almost a grand........I totaled it 7 times before it finally bit the dust. Very profitable to drive in Kokomo........ :mrgreen:

jonvo4591 said:
dude, That Volkswagen story is awesome! You probably could have made it nice with all the money you made from it ;)

It was way too rusted to save (speed limit signs for floorboards) I just bought it to drive cause it was cheap and A LOT better on gas than the suburban I had been driving. And after totaling the bug 7 times it was too far gone. Wasn't bad till the 7th time killed it just had some bumps here and there. I ended up buying a remote starter for it for the winter so I could warm it up without freezing to death. Well I forgot the car was in gear and the parking brake wasn't set, kinda high idle for the winter, I hit the button and watched as the car went out in front of the plow truck going 60MPH down 213 in windfall. Bye bye bug....... :cry:
I was able to save the motor and trans-axle for a dune buggy but the rest was smashed beyond recognition.

jonvo4591 said:
Oh man, at least it went out with a little history and left you with a good story to tell.
Yeah, I still miss it though. I'd rather he taken out the mailbox.....again.....lol :roll:

They FINALLY finished the bike trail in Kokomo's Foster Park! As soon as I can figure out how to work the video on my camera and get it posted to Youtube I'll show you guys! Already took the Hercules Board-tracker down it at full speed. Nothing like taking corners on an old English bike with an original English Leather saddle on top of fresh pavement.

Latest posts

Back