Just Playing Around

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I took off the 3gbikes.com but kinda like the Boa-g on there.

Have a seat from a little scooter I have tried on several builds and it doesn't work. Maybe on here.
The color works. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF0001-124.jpg

DSCF0002-114.jpg

DSCF0001-125.jpg

very cafe style. I dig it. maybe a little fairing in the front?

I know cold. I was smoothing out the frame on the Invalid today and my right angle air grinder slowed way down. Popped the air hose off and the inside was frozen solid.

One of my electric grinders bit the dust yesterday. It cost $20 and lasted almost 2 years. I was amazed.
Most Harbor freight stuff will only make a year. I used it hard too. I thought the Mayan end of the world got
it, but I guess it was just worn out. My be just the brushes, but I can't remember where I put the extras that
came with it. :shock: :cry: I did pick up another one anticipating the big crash. Think it was on sale for $14. :wink:

I'm going to get some stuff tomorrow and see if I can build something to mount the seat. If it works cool and if not
it has a spot in my shop for safe keeping.

that thing looks awesome! I have always wanted to do a spaceliner stretch like this.. 8)

oh.. and my Hitachi 4" grinder I paid $80 for in 1994 still works great! :lol:

Great job as always, Uncle Stretch! :D This frame looks like an original :wink:

Thanks everybody glad yall like it. Been fun messing with it. Not my normal build.

I do buy good tools. This grinder just wasn't one of them. I think I had my Hatichi bite the
dust when I bought this one. I put them through stress for sure. If its not flap disks then its
a wire cup . This one held up way longer than I ever expected. The one I'm using now is really junk and
I doubt that it will last long. It isn't balanced at all. Will put your hand to sleep if you use it much. :|

That looks great. I like the skinny tubes on this on and that seat seams to go perfect. How are you going to support the rear? You could sweep a couple tubes from the rear of the under side of the seat to the bend in the chain stays where they transition to the canti tubes. Looks really good as it stands.

Scott its stretched and now a stock tank won't fit. The tires are 26x 345

xc a tube from handle bars will slid in tight to the tubing I used for the chain stays
I figured maybe a sissy bar type setup to support the rear. I have some thick plate
that I'm going to weld a short seatpost to for the front. It might work. If not it will
all be removable. Something fun to try. Might look good . Can't tell till you do it. :shock:

Ok I built a piece to hold the seat.
DSCF0001-126.jpg

Then I built a sissy bar to hold the back. Used some rebar that was laying around.
DSCF0002-115.jpg

then mounted the seat.
DSCF0003-50.jpg

Looks like crap. A regular seat looks better. Its a classic frame design and no sense in messing it up.
DSCF0003-51.jpg

I think part of the problem is putting something straight at the back of
a bunch of curved tubes. It might look better if the part at the back was
curved and then run to the seat stays. Its hard to figure out what is wrong
with this picture. :roll: Its a lot simpler to use a traditional seat. Its not a real
comfy seat anyway , that is why I took it off my scooter. :lol:

I agree that the rebar seat support looks a bit square and sucky, and I don't particularly like the look of the long scooter seat, but I took the liberty of doing a quick mock up in photoshop showing a possible seat support that might look okay and would be a piece of cake I reckon for someone with your fabricating skills...

2j0cj9s.jpg

I do think a standard seat looks better though.

Glen that did look better. I think anything other than the straight down rebar would look
better. If I can come up with some simple clamps to run some tubing curved to the seat stays
I may try it again. It was suppose to be quick and simple. I'm getting lazy now. :roll:

Ok your closed minded. ha ha The thing is some of this stuff will turn out really cool sometimes.
If you don't get a little outside the box, then you wind up building the same thing.
I have decided to scrap the seat idea. I like the build and a traditional seat is what it needs.
Should turn out pretty good when I get finished. Maybe with All the Christmas stuff out of the
way, I can get it painted and finished.

Back