Just Playing Around

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple Boa tires from Houndog and I need a frame to put them on. Chuck had an old
Schwinn that was in his recycle pile. I talked him out of it. So I decided to stretch it and make it
where a wide tire fits. I started cutting it today. I love to cut up Schwinn's for some reason.
I had a piece of tubing already bent and rather than stretch the top tube, I just changed it out.
Once its all cut, the realization that there is not much left and I could scratch build a frame as easy,
but its just for fun and gives me something to do. I am going to replace the cantilever tubes with
others that are bent for the wide tires, but leaving them lines up the top tube without any jig.
So that is where I am so far.
DSCF0002-56.jpg

Ok this is really fun. Taking all the junk laying around and building something.
I am using my bucket Jig to make sure its all lined up. :wink: From here its a matter
of making it all flow together. I forgot how much fun redesigning a stock bike is.
DSCF0001-73.jpg

Looks like you could make an Xtracycle/cargo bike. :wink:

Cant' wait to see those Boa's mount on that frame.

This thing is really light. The tubing I used is all the 18 gauge and then the front Schwinn
part is light too. Not sure where this is going but its been a while since I burned any wire
and I'm having a good time. Got the seat post welded in. Maybe tomorrow I can finish the
seat stays.

DSCF0001-74.jpg

Dudde... you gotta leave the bottom stays all long like that.. that looks cool its aweseome like that :mrgreen:

Thats funny they were just long because they were bent just to test out my bender. I will have to cut them off for the
dropouts I have planned. I had thought about bending the seat stays around the back tire like a fender , but it wouldn't stay in one place when you adjusted the wheel. I changed one boa and the 3gbikes.com came off with Mek and steel wool. They aren't as big as I thought they would be, but look pretty good though.

DSCF0001-83.jpg

Awesome work! I'm gonna have to try that! 8) I don't have a tubing bender though!

Thanks , Glad you like it. You could probably get someone to bend you a couple.
It doesn't take much to do one like this. You won't get a custom frame ,but it should
turn out looking pretty good. Kinda like a stretched Schwinn with big tires. :lol:

I have seen a few tires that they call bigger than they are. These are good size and will
defiantly make the bike look good with them on there. I'm happy with them. They have
a cool tread pattern. I need to get the other one on a rim. Still have to take the 3gbikes.com
off and I didn't want to use MEK with my space heater on. Its gotten colder here tonight.

Awww. Flammables and space heaters go SO well together!
Looks nice and you're giving me ideas since I have that same exact frame and the women's as well hanging around since no one wanted to buy them. :idea:

Thats funny Sensor. I guess I could call it the end of the world build. :lol: :lol: Oh well they seemed to have missed
it on that one. Them darn Mayan's never got it right. Wonder where they are anyway?
Yeah its fun to play with the frames anyway since they are kinda little to ride. :roll: :roll:

Well I found some small 1/2'' tubing and decided to use it. I was wondering how to bend the curves.
I knew if I ran it through my roller bender since I don't have 1/2'' dies, it would just flatten it.
I have a metal table welded to a post in my back yard. I stuck a C clamp one one edge and slid
the tubing between the table edge and the clamp. Then I walked it around the edge of the table
and it made a perfect bend. The ends were still straight for a few inches , but it made a big circle
perfectly bent with no kinks. I could have done some tricky stuff behind the seat post, but decided
on just a straight piece. I still have to weld it up, and fill the ends of the tubing, but its coming right
along. That part will be kinda under the seat so not really as noticeable.

DSCF0001-87.jpg

DSCF0002-79.jpg

you could just leave the ends open?
would look pretty neat there.

or find those old press fit caps in that size?

Yeah for some reason I would build something that was not right just for easy. I'm not doing anything but
playing so to do it wrong is crazy. I fixed it. A little more work and it really should have been bent, but I don't
have anything that will bend small tubing. Its kinda hard to bend something in a curve and then bend it to one side.
This looks better than it did.
DSCF0001-118.jpg

DSCF0002-113.jpg

Back