Just another Swingbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, color they used and cost of the powdercoat? (If you don't mind...) I've got a couple possible powdercoat projects and looking for ballpark figures.

Nice, you don't have to wait till it cures, that killed me on my Roadmaster to wait..

I'll have to call back up there to get the color code, but I used Auto-Cycle Powdercoating in Chattanooga, TN, and it was $150, with a turn-around time of 2 weeks. That price included stripping the old paint/coatings off...I dropped it off just as I had disassembled it and picked it up like this today. He laid it on thick too, and it is very smooth. All pictures thus far are with a 3-year old camera phone...once I get it put together I'll have my wife take some good pictures. These pictures don't do the yellow the justice it is due!

Here is as far as I got tonight...work resumes tomorrow morning!
2014-01-31+22.30.52.jpg

Park PCS-10..........will save your back, bike, and knees and speed your work. I love mine.

Hmm...competitive with paint but more than I am spending....but my blast guy is pretty cheap and I do the paint myself. I doubt I could have someone paint a bike for that. Best part is once you pick it up it is fully cured and ready to assemble. And no fumes or dust in the house.

Surprised they didn't put the color name on your receipt..

how did the joint between the chain stay and the reinforcement deal turn out? Had Swing Bike used filler there??

Yeah, I have thought about getting a stand, and still may in the future, but I'm just going to rough it by assembling it on the floor on a towel.

Haha, the guy didn't even write me a receipt...small mom/pop shop...no visa, cash or check only.

My bike is an A-serial number, so it has the welds on the insides of the reinforcements. He put the powder on pretty thick (it's hard to read the serial number now!) so everything looks good. Don't think SB put filler there, but I will take a picture for you this morning.

She's finished, and rides great! Thanks to Joe @ Best Bicycle in Chattanooga for coming through at the last minutes with some parts. The wheels I bought on eBay were from a Krate reproduction and the back one fit great, but the front one had a 3/8" axle and the hub was 3" wide, while the front fork on the Swingbike needed a 5/16" axle and a 2.5" wide hub. Joe had a decent wheel in the right size for me and a new chain. Still need a rear fender, I haven't put my white grips on there yet, and I'm using the old crusty sissy bar because the new one I got isn't long enough. Along with Joe, I'd like to thank Jason @ Autocycle Powdercoating, Justin @ Porkchop BMX, and everyone on here who helped me, either directly or indirectly by posting something in the past I read that helped me. I'm planning to be at the swap in Dallas GA (Feb) and the meet in Cleveland TN (Mar) so looking forward to meeting some fellow RRB'ers.

On it's maiden voyage a guy pulled his car over and said "What is that thing? Is it doing what I think it's doing?"

2014-02-01+14.03.39.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any point in me keeping the old headsets or bottom bracket that I took out of the original bike? I was just planning to toss that stuff, but wasn't sure if I should since I see ancient used Krate bottom brackets and stuff like that on eBay.

Thanks, I'll bring them.

DJ Bill - I bought new ones - VP-H732's that fit Mini-BMX and the bottom bracket is a Wald, all of which I bought from Porkchop BMX. My goal wasn't to build an all original Swingbike with original parts, I just wanted something that looked good and rode good. The headsets look a little different than original, but the new chrome pops nicely.

One thing I found strange during disassembly was one of the headsets had caged bearings and the other had uncaged balls.

Did you ever check the numbers in your computer model?

TRM - no I did not. I totally forgot to do it before I started putting the bike together. I can still probably get some pretty good measurements with the bike assembled. I'll post back about how it turns out.

how did the joint between the chain stay and the reinforcement deal turn out? Had Swing Bike used filler there??

DJ Bill, here are the pictures of the joint, first one is outside, second one is inside.

2014-02-01+16.11.33.jpg

2014-02-01+16.11.44.jpg

Back