Just another Swingbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1186190_10100795914053779_1111979897_n.jpg

1013287_10100795914103679_1772794419_n.jpg

I love how it looks...don't use it much though. The pads are kind of...dry rotten? They have worn down a lot, they are hard, and they are marking up my rim. Might look at getting some new pads.

DJ Bill - so do you or anyone else have a good grip on variations within Swingbikes? I've seen Bob Hufford's variations page here, but I'm not sure if that explains all of the variants. Here is what I have seen so far explained on Bob's page:
  • "A" vs. "0" serial numbers (Fu Lu vs. Dodson manufacturing respectively)
  • Seat stem chrome plated on A-frames, not on 0-frames
  • Rear triangle brace weld locations on A-frames vs. 0-frames
  • Front fork dart decal shape
In my limited exposure to Swingbikes, here are some I don't see explained on Bob's page - do you know if these also coordinate with the different serial #'s?
  • Gold vs. silver head badge
  • Gold vs. silver swing tube decals
  • Large vs. small swing tube decals
  • Chain-ring guard vs. full length chainguard

I can't tell you definitively on the head badge and swing tube decals, the full length chainguard was only on very early models. The majority of the bikes used a chain ring. I believe there are aftermarket chain rings that fit ten speeds and BMX bikes that can be adapted....The whole bike was assembled with standard aftermarket rims, kickstands, hubs, etc from what I can figure out. I haven't seen the chainwheels around on anything yet but I haven't looked.

I'm pretty sure mine was originally outfitted with a full length chain guard. I have the tapped hole and the screw in my bottom bracket shell (but no chain guard), like in the picture below. Also, my chain ring looks exactly like this one, with no holes in it to mount the other style chain guard.
Logan+Utah%252C+04.jpg

About halfway thru production for your manufacturer..

Lowest Serial Number (A-Series): A00006
Highest Serial Number (A-Series): A09589
Lowest Serial Number (0-Series): 000343
Highest Serial Number (0-Series): 029852

I don't know if they went from Fu Lu to Dodsun or if both made them at the same time.
I was wondering about your sprocket....thought you'd gotten a new one or something.
Mine has holes for the chain ring, and a chain ring. BUT it is all rusty. One of thes days it will get the Oxalic acid treatment but I need to finish the Roadmaster first.

Love the ride photos!!!
GO JACKETS!

Thanks to Diabolical_Dork, I got a fender that I could make work on my bike. It isn't the right one, but it looks better than not having one on there to me. I had to drill a new top-mounting hole, and the old mounting holes are visible, but oh-well, this bike is a rider, now a show bike. I also got some new decals for the swing frame, and they really complete the look. Now all I'm really missing is the knob for the locking pin, and I've got a buddy making one for me. Here are some pictures:

2014-02-19+18.25.37.jpg

2014-02-19+18.25.54.jpg

Here you can see the old mounting holes in the fender:
2014-02-19+18.26.04.jpg

The bottom of the fender isn't bent 90-degrees like the correct fender, so I just used an L-bracket...it works fine.
2014-02-19+18.26.14.jpg

What was the fender from? It looks pretty good!
Check with your local sign guy to see if he has any small scraps of self adhesive Chrome vinyl, the thick stuff. You can hide your holes with a neat rectangle of the stuff pretty easily. (Or use chrome bolts,,)

Back