JC Higgins Color Flow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a quick pic I took of a 50's JC Higgins Color Flow bike I just bought. Would like to get a headlight and the correct style seat for it, but otherwise will leave as is. The rear reflector lens is cracked and would like to find one of those as well if you know of any lying around. More pics to come later...
jc.jpg

Question, shouldn't this have reflectors or jewels in the holes in the tank? The guy said he had one like it new and it didn't have them...

Thats a 1950 Colorflow and it did not have jewels. Nice find :mrgreen:

It seems the concensus is that this is a 50 or 51 and should noy have the jewels in the tank. I do still want to get the light and the correct seat if anyone has one lying around... Otherwise no plans to restore this one, og paint so I will leave it as-is.

The 1950 had the springer like yours. The '51 didn't have the 2 truss rods but had a looped brace from the top. Some '50 and '51's had painted rims....seems to be no rhyme or reason to that. I just bought an original batwing light for mine after looking for a year. Hang in there and one will show.
1950. Added jewels. Notice the difference in springers.

1951....the jewels are not original to this year either. If you find original ads for these 2 years they talk of exhaust ports and do not show jewels. Guys just like them and they get added. Personal taste :mrgreen:

I just sold this one....bought a whole bike to get it and parted it out to get my money back. Found a better on so this one was sold.

As an added note...these are the only 2 years with the Higgins script on the rack.

Just curious, how does the light attach? There is no indent or hole for a light to mount? The fender looks to be og and paint matches the rest of the bike so I am confident it is correct.... Just curious

The bracket uses the same 2 rivets that hold the front fender brace on.

irene_crystal said:
Just curious, how does the light attach? There is no indent or hole for a light to mount? The fender looks to be og and paint matches the rest of the bike so I am confident it is correct.... Just curious

Heres a photo of a bracket mounted. The dent behind the bracket was probably from the light being torn off in an accident.

I am thinking about putting this up for sale to focus solely on prewar bikes (two of which just popped up recently I want...) I am heading out of town tomorrow for a quick vacation so thougt I would throw this out there to see if I got any offers PM'd to me while I am gone as I am not exactly sure of the value. I thought I would try here before Ebay as I know what they have been going for there. If I don't reply right away remember I am just kicking around the idea and thats why I didn't put it in the for sale section and I am headed on vacation so it will give me a chance to think about it. Thanks

Yeah I just saw it on CL here in Phoenix ....
I'd LOVE to buy it, but I don't have that kinda cash ....
Good Luck though .!.!

whoinphx said:
Yeah I just saw it on CL here in Phoenix ....
I'd LOVE to buy it, but I don't have that kinda cash ....
Good Luck though .!.!

I'm open to prewar trades if you have any, but still just testing the waters...

Back