I love the cantilever design

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built mostly lugged road bikes before under the Judd Cycles name. Being retired, I only just puts around the shop but always wanted to build a beach cruiser. It's the most difficult bike to build not being able to raleigh on straight off the shelf tubing although Columbus chain stays and seat tube were used. The rest was cheap welded tubing . I found some XTR disk wheels, and LX derailleur and mech disk brakes. Paint was a rattle can job using Rustoleum metallic blue with silver inserts, It turned out better than I expected.
Cruiser 023.jpg
New cruiser 017.jpg
New cruiser 021.jpg

I've built mostly lugged road bikes before under the Judd Cycles name. Being retired, I only just puts around the shop but always wanted to build a beach cruiser. It's the most difficult bike to build not being able to raleigh on straight off the shelf tubing although Columbus chain stays and seat tube were used. The rest was cheap welded tubing . I found some XTR disk wheels, and LX derailleur and mech disk brakes. Paint was a rattle can job using Rustoleum metallic blue with silver inserts, It turned out better than I expected.View attachment 242829View attachment 242830View attachment 242831
Outstanding setup. Nice jig!

That's incredible. I ride a canti frame, they're a ton of fun. Did you build that for 29" wheels? If so, the proportions are pretty darned good, I can't tell

The original design was for 700c road wheels but it was hard to find a cheap pair of 700c disk wheels that use skewers so I opened up the rear to 135 mm and used a set of 26 inch wheels. Building with disk brakes and thru axles is new to me. Just the amount of thru axle styles and dropouts is mind boggling. The bike in the jig now will have thru axles and disk brakes.

Building with disk brakes and thru axles is new to me. Just the amount of thru axle styles and dropouts is mind boggling. The bike in the jig now will have thru axles and disk brakes
This is the hard truth: the mountain bike industry has constantly shifting "standards", making it very difficult to mix and match parts. It's as though they don't want us reusing old parts, trying to push new gear through incompatibility of fitment

That bike looks great!

One of the complaints of the cantilever frames produced commercially is the size. Usually 18" they are too small for many riders. Yours looks like a 23" frame, a big improvement over the standard.

The benefit of building from scratch is you can build it any size you want. Being an ex-frame builder, I always built using the metric system. This bike is about a 54cm [21.25 inches] measuring the top tube [level] center to center.

Back