Huffy: From Canti to BMX Straight Bar,...(Lots of Pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wantin to do this for quite some time, finally got a break from the wife and little man and decided to knock it out. :D Brought home a piece of 3/4 black steel pipe from work today and cut it to the lenght I needed to fit. First I ground off the paint where the twin bars but up to the seat tube and put nice deep welds there on top and bottom, then I cut the twin bars off that went down to the forward down tube. I cut them at a sort of fast back looking angle to look like air intakes of sorts. Got everything all welded up, ground off the welds, sand and paint, really liking it, what do you guys think? :mrgreen:
Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture.jpg

Thanks! Yea, the paint was a shot in the dark, Toreador Red seems to be a near perfect match, I Like it so much better!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks, it had gotten dark on me but I just snapped a better one out front.

Nice work! Looks stock, but better! :wink: I really like this bike... sweet and simple. Gotta love a 26" bmx build.

Beat me to it. The moment I cut the canti tubes off my project this idea popped into my head. Just waiting til I finish the current one and then I will do this. Looks great.

Thanks for the good words fellas, gonna take it out for a first ride this evening. 8)

Looks great. I'd put plugs inside those chainstays to keep out liquid water, mud daubers, etc. If you're that attached to the look of that detail, couple of black rubber "corks" a few inches in would never be seen.

deorman said:
Looks great. I'd put plugs inside those chainstays to keep out liquid water, mud daubers, etc. If you're that attached to the look of that detail, couple of black rubber "corks" a few inches in would never be seen.

Thanks, yea, I've been tryin to think what would fit down into the holes pushed back out of sight, even though it sits in my den when not ridden and will never be ridden in the rain. I do think something pushed down into them would be a good idea. Last thing I would need is my 3 year old dropping a small bolt or nut down one of them and it to start raddlin, drive ya nuts. :shock:

Im stealing your idea. I have a old 20 banana seat bike frame. Going to turn it into a bmx style bike. thanks

Back