how do i get this off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100_0984.jpg

thx for your help

Buzzy, I'm no expert on these but I bought a mountain bike recently that had a rear wheel hub but no cassette on it. So I learned that the cassette unit screwed on to that type wheel - and came off with a special tool that fits in those grooves inside the hub and allows you to unscrew the cassette unit from the hub.

Here is some information on the Park Tools site that may help you determine which type wheel / cassette you have, and which tool is needed to remove it, since there are several different types and they come off different ways.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

It looks like Park makes a special tool for Falcon cassettes, which is what you have.

Here are some shots of how mine looks taken apart - just as a reference, since mine is a Shimano and not a Falcon.

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

the gears on that wheel is freewheel type, not cassette type...you need a special tool to remove it...go to your LBS to have it remove or buy the right tool to remove it , over the years a multitude of freewheel tool were made for the different type of freewheel that exist, you might be just better off having it removed by your LBs...

There are a few bike shops on 1960. David's Cycles is a mile or two west of 249, and there are a couple of others east of 249 around the Champions Drive area.

I don't know what the wheel came off of, but sometimes you may be better off to find a similar cheap donor bike and use a wheel from that. There seem to be lots of used / cheap multispeed bikes around. You might even check with the Goodwill store there in Tomball since they have bikes there from time to time.

RatRodDad said:
There are a few bike shops on 1960. David's Cycles is a mile or two west of 249, and there are a couple of others east of 249 around the Champions Drive area.

I don't know what the wheel came off of, but sometimes you may be better off to find a similar cheap donor bike and use a wheel from that. There seem to be lots of used / cheap multispeed bikes around. You might even check with the Goodwill store there in Tomball since they have bikes there from time to time.

yea i have been to all and the one i like best is southwest schwinn witch is by my work off of south brasewood i also like daves the reason i like sws is because they carry lowrider and beach crusier parts but daves i like to but they have to order everything went to conroe schwinn they have some nice stuff but dont want to sale any of it

I took mine to my LBS and he spun it off in about 15 seconds...for free!

MagicRat said:
I took mine to my LBS and he spun it off in about 15 seconds...for free!
I did the same thing. He just kinda clamped the cassete into the vise and spun her off! :roll: Good Luck!
L8 EM

mastershake916 said:
Again, this unit is a freewheel.
As was mine................[/quote]
You said cassette, but that's okay.[/quote]
My bad! I meant he clamped the sprocket.

Latest posts

Back