How could i make a laid back Seat Post?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think a conduit bend will go in far enough, it should go in down past the top tube. I'm generally against using conduit, cuz it's really crappy steel.

I made mine with a loooooong chrome Wald Seatpost and a conduit bender. I also paid 5 bucks for the Wald seatpost new.

schwine009.jpg

Nice ride! So is that the Wald seatpost or conduit? It looks just like the one I made. How's it ride? Looks good...

UPDATE!!! Since my last posting I've had a "set back"! :(

IMG_0100.jpg

My quick 'N dirty fab job FAILED me! But I'm commited to the cause! So I called my local steel supplier and asked them if they had any 13/16" (O.D.) tubing...Which is what my '77 Schwinn Middleweight (Corvette?) uses for a seat post...And my galpal Sue says YES! So I go and get an 8' 11" stick for $31 and off I go with Mr. Conduit Bender! After a bit of eyeballing and measuring based on the failed seat post I came up with this:

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Not bad...The tubing is "DOM" or Drawn Over Mandrel...Very strong I'm told...No seam...And after afixing the saddle and taking her for a cruise I'd have to agree!

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

She's got about a 10" set back and about 4" insertion. (Maybe 3" below the top tube...) And feels very stable! The DOM tubing has a black sheen or "coating" on it from the foundry, but that comes off nicely with a little sanding...So you have the option of leaving it black or making it shiney... :) Anywaay...Call that local steel supplier and see what you can come up with! :mrgreen: Keep Buildin' and Ride'n...

Oh! Nice! The D.O.M. steel is holding up real well....I've put several miles on it and no movement! I cruised around my neighborhood with my brother and she did real good! Try D.O.M....

I remember seeing someone here use part of a one piece crank to make an angled seat post. I tried searching for it, but couldn't find anything. Did I just image it?

I'm pretty sure it was sensor...PM him.

I made mine from solid 413 stainless bar stock. A gorilla couldn't bend this seat post. I just bought another 3' piece of 13/16" stainless bar stock off of ebay, cut it in half and turned the ends down to 1/2". I'll have 2 more completed shortly. Gary
DSC04417.jpg

B607 said:
I made mine from solid 413 stainless bar stock. A gorilla couldn't bend this seat post. I just bought another 3' piece of 13/16" stainless bar stock off of ebay, cut it in half and turned the ends down to 1/2". I'll have 2 more completed shortly. Gary
Nice! What did you use to bend it? A press? That DOM tubing that I use is hard enough to bend! :lol: We talked at work about cutting a solid bar and tig welding it together at an angle...

Nice work B607 , but is there really alot of times that a gorilla is going to be riding your bike? If so I hope to see it on youtube. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been riding this super stretch laid way back seat post pretty hard and so far no issues. Solid steel with the angle cut for ride height and grooved for ample welding penetration. I did weld a 3/8" corse thread bolt to the end of the seat post and as soon as I come up for air I think I will fab up a custom truss rod and secure it from the end of the long extented seat post down to the rear drop outs. I have'nt needed the truss rod for additional support up to this point for now, but I wanted to do it because I think it's different. Hope you can spin some ideas off it.
Multiplebuilds012-1.jpg
The Aubrey has the same basic cold rolled round stock solid steel design custom made for the bike geometery and of course rider comfort.
TurkeyRide09045-1.jpg
Just my simple headed way of getting what I need without too much of a head or butt ache. Oh yeah, did I mention my trim figure was at a meager 230 lbs?

bikeriderx said:
B607 said:
Nice! What did you use to bend it? A press? That DOM tubing that I use is hard enough to bend! :lol: We talked at work about cutting a solid bar and tig welding it together at an angle...

I used an acetylene torch. I had an old girls frame and clamped it in a vise. I put the post in the frame and clamped it to keep the end from getting damaged by the vise jaws. I put a piece of pipe on the seat end of the post and bent it after I heated it. It took *a lot* of heat. Surprised me. Gary

I always take full-metal roundsteel, warm bended. The weight doesn´t matter . . .

IMG_3529_k.jpg

regards, Paul

Back