How could i make a laid back Seat Post?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make a laid back seatpost.. But how?

new_dharma said:
ricksterr1221 said:
I need to make a laid back seatpost.. But how?

laid-back in what way?

you know...it doesn't get angry,
it just excepts everything as it comes..at face value.
No hidden aggenda's. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

maybe he could start buy bending a seat tube new dharma :?: :mrgreen:
maybe a pipe bender and some heat :?: :mrgreen:

Thanks Kev, I want one like hooch ran on Rosemary.. The old style one, Im going to make a board tracker.

Yeah thats true.. I bent some handle bars yesterday catwalking my spitfire It was fun.

A trick A guy showed me was to cut an old set of handlebars
Handlebars are 7/8" and most old frames will accept this size as a seat post
this works best with banana seats but will work with solo seats just remember
the further back you go the more likely it will bend
DSC00844.jpg

man nothing like a flash to show all the rust i've been to lazy to clean off

Easy Skywalker said:
My collegue Karl had a nice way of putting the seat a bit more to the back.
You can buy these seatposts, but making them yourself is better ofcourse.
He attached one of those mountainbike-handlebar-bar-end-things to the seattube.
486186906_24c1dc5fd6_o.jpg

Dunno about strength though :mrgreen:
That's a good idea.

Easy Skywalker said:
My collegue Karl had a nice way of putting the seat a bit more to the back.
You can buy these seatposts, but making them yourself is better ofcourse.
He attached one of those mountainbike-handlebar-bar-end-things to the seattube.
486186906_24c1dc5fd6_o.jpg

an "Onza" bar end..
That's Brilliant!

and it would also make a cool piece to mount a Grip Shifter too...
and run it off a Frame in Suicide mode..

I'm looking for Bar ends at The Dump now!!!!

great tip Easy!

peace,
Kev.

:shock: I'd be a bit nervous if those are Aluminum bar ends, there used to be cromo versions of bar ends available but I haven't seen them in years(and only a bit less nervous if they're steel). It's doubtful that any bar end is engineered for full weight bearing like that. Heck, I've bent aluminum handlebars on mountain bikes just from normal usage(no crashes involved) with alot more metal involved, and have seen or heard of cracked welds on Al bike frames especially at the head tube (even on road bikes) more than I'd like to think about. Most of the gear is engineered for lighter race types.

Personally I would be a bit reluctant to try this, but I haven't heard his girlfriend falling of the bike yet :lol:
But like Kev says, there are more options for re-usage of these things.

I asked my collegue (karl) to do an intro, he made two nice cruisers last month, with some creative ideas. I'll ask him again :lol:

I made one out of 14 gauge steel on a bender, it bent under my 200lbs after one ride. Next day I used 3/4" round solid stock. Put it on the tubing bender, and that was 4 months ago. Never had a problem. If you don't have a bender or steel, talk to a machine shop, I bet they would do it for about the same price as ordering one new.

Monster Metal from Seattle (on this forum) made me a bent post out of 7/8" stainless bar. I don't think an elephant could bend that thing. Ask him nice and I'll bet he'd trade you something for one. :wink: Gary

I use ol mtb stems. Cut the bar clamp off and it fits in my seat tube, then I bolt the seat to stem and then your all set. You can also slide your seatpost over the stem and tighten the jamb nut, this will put you over the back wheel for some wheelie fun. Looks stupid that way but its fun, hahah.

I made mine out of 3/4" rigid (electrical) conduit and bent it on a pipe vice:

IMG_1030.jpg

Note: 3/4" rigid conduit is 7/8" O.D. and I had to enlarge the seat post tube...1/2" rigid conduit is 3/4" O.D.-probably a better choice...

Here's a full view:

IMG_1029.jpg

i just had several seat tubes bent the other day, i bought a 10 foot section of 3/4" OD x 1/8" wall tubing, cut it into 5, 24" sections, then a friend used his manual bender to bend 'em for me. 1/8" wall will accomodate "our size" riders. 3/4" will fit into just about any seat tube, but since alot of seat tubes are bigger than that some shimming may be required, or just weld it to the backside of the frames seat tube.
fast eddie

this mite help. not a "z" but a 90* w/ gussets.

this is an older thread, but i couldnt find my original thread(i didnt look that hard).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13791

bikeriderx said:
I made mine out of 3/4" rigid (electrical) conduit and bent it on a pipe vice:

I was in the electrical aisle at Lowes yesterday and spotted the prebent conduit sections and thought maybe I could make a seat tube from one. I may have to investigate this further.

Back