Home Powder coat Trial

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had the skills to build a controller like your using. Got my cabinet set up. Im calling it the redneck curing cabinet since Im still using a roaster for my main heat source. It seemed to heat it fine when I tried HF red but when I tried to cure the matte black its not turning matte it stays a low gloss finish.

Dragn the controller above is the Columbia Coatings powder gun one but if you mean the oven controller it's pretty simple a China PID controller ,thermocouple and solid state relay can be had pretty cheap under $50 on eBay (I'll look this up) the thermocouple is 2 wires that hook right to controller there are 2 small control wires that go from controller to the solid state relay . The SSR is a switch on the big terminal side that interrupts one leg (hot wire) of the 220vac if using oven ot stove elements oh and the controller needs 120 ac for power. It's basicly a lamp dimmer for a really big bulb. If you are using a 120v toaster oven (mine will do either) the setup can hook to its own outlet to plug the toaster oven into. Let me know if you want to pursue one glad to help with a simplified diagram.

This may be a stupid question but does the powder stick to the part does it use static electricity? How do you get the static does something come with the gun that supplies it I'm just wandering I used to work at a powder coat place and that's how they did it the booth had some kind of wire connect to it if it came loose the powder would not stick or does the powder stick by some other method?

Jamie825 the powder is given a charge in the gun, air flow drifts it towards where you point it the part is grounded and the charged powder sticks by static just like when you open a box that has packing peanuts and they start sticking to you and every thing around you.

Back