Home Powder coat Trial

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a Harbor Freight Powder Coating gun this Monday and a toaster oven at Goodwill.
I finally tried the setup out tonight. i think the results were pretty good considering my cash outlay was very low.
Costs: Gun & power supply $47.99
matt black powder $5.49
toaster oven $4.02
Total $57.50

imag0861w.jpg

imag0863d.jpg

imag0867o.jpg

mikesbikes36 said:
how r u gonna do frames for me in that baby oven ??? LOL
looks good gary !

My wife would kill me first time she found a pair of handlebars in the stove! "But it works good!" Oh she'd kill me!

Did the sprocket from the Manton & Smith turned out ok would have worked better if I could have hung it vertically instead of flat cause it was hard to get in the oven
suspended from the center hole. Going to play with small parts then think about making a frame sized oven........OWS I do have a metal bike toy at work i could do!

imag0868i.jpg

Started building a controller for the powder coat oven I am going to make a frame sized oven so I thought I would start with the controls this will also do the toaster oven regulation and timing, Bought some stuff
at Menards on the sale rack in electrical, a 20 amp black duplex recp. , a timer that does 1.5,10.20,30 and 60 min perfect for the cook times. I traided the DaHon ss folder for 2 PID temp controllers and a 3G wheel set
thats going to be ordered from the site. this is the prog. so far design and front and rear pnls ....I powder coated them of course!

b48q.jpg

ooqi.jpg

Anyone ever try to powder coat in a propane vertical smoker? I know open flame and powder don't work so well together but I will be using it outside so if it blows up no loss.

Got my controller done and did a trial on it running the toaster oven with it works great. I set this up to direct control a 120vac 15A load or hook up to a
larger oven that I will be building that runs on 220v using oven heating elements. It wil be at least bike frame size maybe motorcycle size.
Aratman there are some powder coating forums and some have used gas BBQ's with no problems your smoker should work fine.

wokq.jpg

vw9t.jpg

Started on the build of the powder coat oven that will be bike frame sized used steel studs and will be using 4 stove top elements for the heat source about 5000 watts worth. size interior will be 12" x 48" x 36"
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Replying here so I can keep track of your progress. I too had much the same idea. Got the stuff intending to build a 24 x 24 x 48 oven, but I still need to get out the measuring tape and cardboard boxes to mock one up to see if that is a workable oven size.

Toe slider check this out I'm getting most of my info here except the electrics. And this site. I'm going with interior of 12" x 48" x 36" interior top opening to fit bike frame as it sits normally. Got some Honda parts and wheels to do also. Check if a frame will fit in 24x24x48 befor you get too far. The hard part was deciding on size. Ordered my 40A SSR's today and looked into sheet goods
http://www.thepowdercoatingforum.com/fo ... n-Building
http://www.rambour.com/id44.htm

Luke congrats on BigJim!looks like it was a fun project .This oven I hope to bring the cost in to less than 2 powder coat jobs then it will pay its own way.. Hoping to be under $200 including the PC gun.

Next to nothing got temp controller from a friend in partial trade for a bike I paid $120 for but I got 2 temp controls and a new set of 3g wheels . On line from china you can get the controller and some solid state relays and thermocouple for about $50
The timer I used was a bath fan timer from Menards on sale for $13. You can get a compleat controller all wired from the first link above I didnt look up the price.

Rick it's all going to be driven by sheet metal I gotta buy at least a sheet and a half 4'x8' to finish that and siding work on the house and garage.anybodt know if a sheet of 26 ga will roll up to fit in my jeep or should I bring my trailer. Hoping for end of next month then we can have some fun!

Latest posts

Back