HENDECYCLE #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! I haven't been able to post a bunch lately because I've been super busy with school and the bike and stuff. We have gotten a ton done on it though and it's coming along nicely!

The guy that's helping me build this, brought a pipe bender and a nice welder from his work.

We chopped the bottom bar off:

Photo2663.jpg

Then we bent a piece of pipe for the drop loop:

Photo2666.jpg

Here it is tacked together:

Photo2669.jpg

I then put it together and rode it around a little bit to make sure it rode straight

Photo2759.jpg

Here is a little piece of card board where the tank will go:

Photo2688.jpg

I got some sheet metal, traced out the design for the tank on it, and my buddy's dad cut it up for me

Photo2647.jpg

Photo2726.jpg

The guy I'm working with tacked the bottom and sides together, then he taught me how to weld and I practiced for a while. Once I could do it ok, I welded the inside of the tank and checked for leaks, then I welded the outside and checked for leaks again. We welded everything except the top because we still have some stuff to do on it.

Photo2761.jpg

Photo2765.jpg

Photo2772.jpg

Photo2775.jpg

After about 2 hours of straight grinding, here it is!

Photo2782.jpg

Photo2786.jpg

Photo2781.jpg

I was shocked to find that there were only 2 small leaks, so we're going to fix those.

Here are some springs, nuts, washers, and bolts for the seat and a springer fork that I'm going to try to build for it:

Photo2787.jpg

I have 2 different ideas for the color. I'm thinking of going with the red one to match our 46' Chevy. What do you guys think?

Photo2791.jpg

This week we are going to finish up the tank, weld the frame really well, and work on something for the springer fork and the seat. I've had a blast building this thing so far! And I'll try to post more as I go haha. Thanks for checking it out! And I'm totally down for any suggestions or tips that anyone has.

I think everything you´ve done so far is off the hook man!
If I were you, I would paint it red, but wouldn't give it a shiny/new look, I would try on nice aged patina instead:
indian-motorcycle-very-early.jpg

Thanks man! I dig that Indian. We got a ton done on the bike this week, so hopefully I can post some more pictures later today.

Wow, I'm impressed. Keep up the good work. Personally on the tank I'd go black with gold leaf but that's just me.

Edit: Here's some inspiration for you. This bike is on display in my local motorcycle shop and it's even cooler in person.

1910 Kokomo
todaystrek004.jpg

todaystrek005.jpg

todaystrek006.jpg

Look at this fork
todaystrek007.jpg

todaystrek008.jpg

and a cool seat!
todaystrek009.jpg

Back