Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks lowrider? chopper? muscle?

Really enjoying this build! Looking forward to seeing how you get the wheels sorted :D

I think it's out there enough that you're going to have to come up with a new name for it yourself, that other people will adopt!

I have been putting a lot of hours into the bike, just not much to show for it, VERY complicated build!

Started on the rear wheel stays last night, this photo should give you some idea of what I am dealing with...

DSCN2368 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Still a fair way to go till I have a completed frame, but I am sure it will seem to suddenly jump ahead when I start joining this giant jigsaw together...

Stay tuned...
Luke.

Doormandean said:
Really enjoying this build! Looking forward to seeing how you get the wheels sorted :D

Not long now Doormandean, should have a rolling chassis soon!

Got the brakes in the mail yesterday, probably only be using one brake on the rear wheel but ordered a pair anyway because it ends up much cheaper... (Thinking ahead to the next project already!) I may end up putting one on the front too, but was thinking of making the rear a suicide lever mount, and just dont think it would look right with the front lever up on the bars in that case.

DSCN2369 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I was amazed to see the mounting holes line up perfectly with the spoke holes on the freewheel mount and the tack welds I put to stop the freewheel mount from moving. Some things just work out sometimes...

DSCN2370 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.

Got the main frame tacked together last night, what a headache that was! Tubes coming in from all different angles everywhere! :roll: I guarantee this will be a one of a kind bike, cause I will never be building another like it! I might build similar bikes but they will not have the pie cut curves everywhere, just too much work! Maybe just 1 or 2 nice curves on the top tube and the rest just normal angle cuts. Or maybe build it from round tube using a bender like a "normal" person would...

Anyway, it came together in the end, got a couple of small gaps to fill, but I have plenty of them on each curve anyway...

DSCN2371 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The more I look at the frame together now, the more I think it needs a tank, needs something in that big space behind the headtube... Compare this picture,

DSCN2372 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

With this one,

Bike with LTJ TANK by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

What do you think?

Luke.

Love it so far!

I think you're right about the 'tank' I was going to build something into mine for storage but the very same reason. A long crossbar can look a bit bare - mind you, the tube I used for mine was too small - not a problem you're facing with that chunky beast!

Doormandean said:
Love it so far!

I think you're right about the 'tank' I was going to build something into mine for storage but the very same reason. A long crossbar can look a bit bare - mind you, the tube I used for mine was too small - not a problem you're facing with that chunky beast!

I think Doormandean just came up with a possible name for this bike... "Chunky Beast!" Thank's man!

Any other suggestions out there?

Luke.

wimpy said:
What about "The Hummer"? Looks as beefy as the real one. :mrgreen:

Hmmm... I can imagine it painted black, dark rosewood stained wooden tank with chrome Hummer badges on it... That could work!

Or, maybe I could also find out what those hubcaps are off and use the matching badges...

DSCN2373 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Anyone one know what these came off?

not sure, but im thinking fold ltd or something similar.

the blue meanie,little boy blue, blueberry pi (spelled correctly), drian pipe. Some names that come to mind.

Really like what youre doin here bro. Hope to see some progress soon :thumbsup:

bonez said:
Really like what youre doin here bro. Hope to see some progress soon :thumbsup:

Thanks Bonez, will be back on it later today if the weather holds. I had to drive to Melbourne to pick up an airconditioner yesterday, made a slight detour to drop in on a cool bike shop and pick up some stuff for my next build...

Hint: Massive banana seat, sparkly grips... Not a scratch build though, just modding a girls bmx for someone in the family...

Luke.

Edit: Ordered the seat springs for the bike yesterday, 3 inch tall chrome barrel springs, designed for a solo seat on motorbikes with a rigid rear, more overkill, but I am only going to build this bike once!

Woo Hoo! Made some big progress! 8)

Decided today was the day to mount the rear 3 piece hub and see if the whole idea works... Well, not straight away it didn't, turned out I didn't leave enough room for the brake disc on the outside of the frame, so out comes the grinder and chop the end off and start again, ended up extending the end 50mm (2inch) and shortening the chain stays 100mm (4inch) to bring the frame in closer to the outside of the tire. While I was at it, I moved the hub up (frame down) to give more clearance for the chain and also to get the whole bike lower. (Had great fun riding a lowrider yesterday at SaintSide Melbourne, I think it may have influenced the decision!) Anyway, this is the final product.

DSCN2377 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Close up picture with the chainring and brake disc removed. It's only tacked together at the moment (same with the rest of the frame) until it is fully assembled and I can make sure everything lines up.

DSCN2378 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The single sided front springer is next on the list to get done, that may take some working out... Stay tuned!

P.S. The three piece hub idea works well!, takes my full weight no worries with no excessive movement, noises, vibration etc.

Had to get a full bike picture so you can see what this thing will look like. I parked a standard size 26inch mountain bike behind it for scale...

DSCN2374 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

It is really hard to visualise just how big it is until it is sitting right in front of you. The rear tire is almost exactly the same height as a standard 26 inch mountain bike tire. But that is where the similarity ends. Might end up calling it the steam roller...

Luke.

Back