Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired build Re-named

LukeTheJoker said:
Gotta say, I kinda agree... I am meant to be able to transport this thing on my roofrack, gunna need some help to get it up and down from there... Maybe build a ramp??? :roll:

Luke, you'll have to stick one of these on the back of the Austin!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZLn1cyUiwg
I'm sure you could build something better though :wink:
Will

P.s Love the Cadillac theme! 8)

This is one bad mama jama!!!
It would be cool to ride Fugsley next to this beast.

LukeTheJoker said:
Ok, so after a week with limited progress due to health, weather and a total fire ban day (no welding or grinding in the open air) I finally made a little progress.

DSCN2379 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSCN2380 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Still have a lot of work to do on these forks (maybe it is just a fork (no "s") due to single side? :? Or knife? :roll: :lol: ) Not happy with them at the moment, but at least I know where it is headed now... Have to raise the bended area up to keep the front low enough for my liking, going to move it back closer to the headtube while I am at it.

Going to be a massive bike when it is done...

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks Custom '59 Cadillac inspired build.

Little_Will said:
Luke, you'll have to stick one of these on the back of the Austin!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZLn1cyUiwg
I'm sure you could build something better though :wink:
Will

P.s Love the Cadillac theme! 8)

Good idea Little Will, but think I might have to beef it up a bit to lift the bike! :lol: Seriously though, I expect it will come in at around 70kg (150lbs) when finished, the frame itself is surprisingly light for it's size, that back wheel and tire combo is 30kg (70lbs) by itself though... Certainly not a long distance commuting bike if there are any hills involved. May end up fitting dual calipers to the rear disc to actually stop all that rotating mass...

kingfish254 said:

Thanks Kingfish! I will take that as a complement, as I am a big fan of your work and of course, Fugsley!

Actually nearly ended up with a HD tire like yours on the front, but after all the hassle of fitting it I pumped it up on the compressor and it had a big hole in it that I had not seen... :x Nevermind, now I have a matching set, but had to narrow the front rim to fit the smaller 140 metzler. (the HD was a 160)
Any idea what Fugsley weighs? I imagine with your lightweight rims you would be around the 60lbs mark?

Actually with my week off I was worried those freaky bunnys might have dropped in... Guess they get holidays too? How do you get them through customs? :?

Thanks for the complements everybody, they keep me going!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
kingfish254 said:

Thanks Kingfish! I will take that as a complement, as I am a big fan of your work and of course, Fugsley!

Actually nearly ended up with a HD tire like yours on the front, but after all the hassle of fitting it I pumped it up on the compressor and it had a big hole in it that I had not seen... :x Nevermind, now I have a matching set, but had to narrow the front rim to fit the smaller 140 metzler. (the HD was a 160)
Any idea what Fugsley weighs? I imagine with your lightweight rims you would be around the 60lbs mark?

Actually with my week off I was worried those freaky bunnys might have dropped in... Guess they get holidays too? How do you get them through customs? :?

Thanks for the complements everybody, they keep me going!

Luke.

It's pretty insane to me that someone even knows one of my bikes by name on the other side of the globe!

I still haven't weighed Fugsley, buy I have guessed around 60-70 pounds.

The freaky bunnies freaked too many people out, so they have went into hiding :p

Keep up the wild work on this beast!!! Loving it!

kingfish254 said:
It's pretty insane to me that someone even knows one of my bikes by name on the other side of the globe!

Did I mention that I am also a fan of the twinflex you built?

It is pretty awesome what we can do on this site, never would have seen your bike without it...

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks Custom '59 Cadillac inspired build

Ok, made some progress on the forks... Tucked the front in towards the frame an inch, and moved the curve up 2inchs. Reprofiled the curves tighter as well. Made the rocker bar and front 3 piece hub too!

DSC00122 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Got everything I think will be needed to do the hinge/rockers. Was going to do them today but a huge rainstorm... Literally washed out my plans... :lol:

Luke.

Got some work done today, cut the holes for the hinge tubes and made the rocker arms... As you can see, that is as far as I got before I got rained out...

DSC00123 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Broke 2 teeth on my holesaw on the very first hole, only broke 1 more on all the others, so turned out allright in the end...

Going massively oversize on the hinges, 16mm (5/8) 8.8 rated (High Tensile) bolts, fitted inside heavy wall pipe that will be welded into the fork arms. The tubes will be wider than the arms. Also going for three rockers instead of two for extra support.

You didn't think I would underbuild anything on this bike did you? :D

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired heavy weight.

Ok, built the springer set up and tried it on the bike, not impressed. It would look great on a Mad Max or Terminator style build but does not really suit the Cadillac vibe, just too bulky and mechanical looking...

DSC00125 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

So pulled it all apart and started rebuilding it much simpler and neater, following some designs I originally came up with for a much earlier version of this build. Should look good, just wont show off the big flashy spring/shock so much as it will be down closer to the pivot on the stay side of the wheel, an added bonus is that the wheel can move back about 6 inches, improving the trail significantly... I will post up a pic when it's together.

Stay tuned.

Luke.

i think it would look great as a fixed fork , like if you weld those 2 fork pieces togeter to make one big one

Just thinking outloud, could it be that it looks too bulky because of the really fat frontwheel? If you'ld replace the fronttube of the fork for a thinner one and use a thinner frontwheel, would it look less "mechanical"?
Like I said,just a thought.

OneHorsePower said:
i think it would look great as a fixed fork , like if you weld those 2 fork pieces togeter to make one big one

I agree, that would look good, and allow the wheel even further back towards the frame, and if I dont like this new springer, I probably will make it fixed. Want to keep it if I can, love the thought of riding a cushy stretch limosine Cadillac down the road...

wimpy said:
Just thinking outloud, could it be that it looks too bulky because of the really fat frontwheel? If you'ld replace the fronttube of the fork for a thinner one and use a thinner frontwheel, would it look less "mechanical"?
Like I said,just a thought.

Actually that is my plan for the next build, not letting that cat out of the bag yet, but safe to say, monster wide rear and 27x1inch front for the ultimate big and little combo.

The reason I made the front tube so big on this build, is I was worried about flexing, as this is single sided, most of the flex is actually held by the front tube, not the rear like on a 2 sided fork. The new idea actually removes the front tube alltogether, allowing the (now closer to the wheel) rear tube to hold the wheel steady.

Trying to keep the big front wheel on this one though, I want this to be totally over the top in every respect, something that people see coming down the road at them... 8)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I will try to get more pics of the new springer up soon...

Luke.

Got the springer all worked out, looks clean and simple and works well.

DSC00127 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Was going to put the spring/shock on the same angle as the fork leg but found that the spring would almost "over center" when bottoming out and then suddenly spring back. Not a nice feeling!

DSC00126 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The spring is almost too soft, nice and cushy to sit on, will have to wait till the first test ride to see if it is too soft, I have worked out the the second spring/shock I have can be mounted beside the current one if more spring is needed.

DSC00128 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Loving this view, it will be one mean looking bike!

Stay tuned, extended cranks and sprung seat are up next...

Luke.

That does have a wicked stance to it.
Looking forward to the drivetrain.

Kingfish! You must have been sitting right on my post when I wrote that last one, read it and posted a reply in 15 minutes! Getting bored on your holiday?

Seriously though, how goes things, having a good time? Did you end up getting a ride on Outlaw 3's Trans-Am?

Luke.

jj256 said:
This bike is bad
Thanks Jj256! I think? :wink:

Too hot today to get dressed up to do "real" work, drag the welder, gas bottle and other tools out... So decided to "rescue" a 16 tooth freewheel and 3 bmx chains from my stockpile of bikes instead.

Got three good chains, one had a little surface rust so dropped them all in an oil bath for a couple of days, should be ready to go when they are needed.

Looks like it will take nearly 3 meters (not quite 10 foot) of chain to connect the dots on the Cadillac, still working out the adjustment idler to fit under the chain stay.

What do you guys who have built cruisers before think the right size chainwheel would be, taking into account the 16 tooth freewheel, 26 inch wheel height and 70kg (150lbs) bike? Im thinking somewhere between 40-48 teeth? :?:

I dont want to be peddling too fast when just cruising but also want to be able to get moving without having to find a hill to head down..

Luke.

This fork is waaaaaay better than the previous one. Thumbs up!
This may be a dumb question (forgive me,I'm an old f*rt with a bad memory :mrgreen: ),but aren't you gonna use a multiple-speed hub somewhere?
Looking at the stats,the monster is as long as my ride and even a bit heavier, so at least a 3-speed hub looks essential here.
Would make it easier to ride, I guess.

wimpy said:
This fork is waaaaaay better than the previous one. Thumbs up!
This may be a dumb question (forgive me,I'm an old f*rt with a bad memory :mrgreen: ),but aren't you gonna use a multiple-speed hub somewhere?
Looking at the stats,the monster is as long as my ride and even a bit heavier, so at least a 3-speed hub looks essential here.
Would make it easier to ride, I guess.
Glad you like the fork, much happier with it myself too!

As to the multi speed, in some earlier pics I mocked up a 5 speed freewheel for the photos, that's probably where you saw it.

Your probably right, a multi speed would be the way to go, I will have to check if I allowed enough room below the freewheel for a derailer... :?

Luke.

Hmmm... Looks like I will be designing a derailler modification if I am going multi speed... :roll:
Either that or modifing the lower stay, which was the most complicated part of the whole frame... :shock:
Anyone ever mounted a third guide wheel off the front of a derailer arm to lift the chain?

Luke.

Edit: Just worked my way through what the angles and everything would be like with the third wheel on the derailer, it wont work...

Then thought about the skate board wheel trick that I have read about on other peoples threads, that wont work either in this case, it's great with a single speed or hub gearing, but the side to side movement of the derailer would cause issues with chain alignment.

Will have to do some more thinking...

Maybe a second, single wheel derailer mounted up and forward, before the main derailer, would have to run a second cable to it from the shifter, but it should work... :?:

Luke.

Back