gulf themed cruiser - Le Mans - DONE(ish)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: gulf themed cruiser

That thing is almost ready for LeMans!!!

when I built soul catcher I didnt want straps showing either for my tank so I have a screw thru the lower tube into the tank then on at the back of the tank going up into the top tub. I haven't had a problem with it moving

thanks for all the compliments. the fender is a kids bike fender that the LBS owner gave me for free. i just did some manual reshaping on it and used it in the same capacity on my chief for a while. I decided it would look better on dad's bike.

dragnusa, you just drilled into the tubes and used screws? any pics? i was thinking of drilling holes and using rivnuts as the mounting spots. at the very least i guess i'm going to cut the tank out and mock it up.

seat, grips, chain, and a few details done this morning. also decided to name it "Le Mans" :D
IMAG0455.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0457.jpg

issues: back wheel spacing is off by a little which makes the fender not line up properly on the centerline of the tire. also, I must have rebuilt my rear hub wrong. when i roll the bike backwards a foot or so the rear starts to lock up. I dont think the quick release i bought for the seat post clamp is going to be enough to keep the seat from spinning. my buddy is looking through his stash of old school bmx parts for a primo double clamp he has.

Re: gulf themed cruiser - Le Mans

pedals came while I was away for thanksgiving. Also, during a shopping trip I spotted this LED desk lamp. a quick look at the plug in adapter revealed that it converted the AC power to 4.5volts dc. 15 bucks. I was planning to go by radioshack for a battery hoder for 3 AA batteries but remembered i had one for 3 AAA batteries from a gutted cheapo LED flashlight. wired it up to see if 3.6V was enough and it was. not quite the headlight shape i wanted (was hoping for something wider and shallower) but it looks good. I modified the old front reflector holder and put some black paint on it last night. A little modification of the housing and I moved the small toggle switch from the base of the lamp into the housing and did away with the base and gooseneck. put the pedals on and rode around the garage. coaster is working but it sticks in the braking position. I guess the spring that returns it to freewheel status isnt working... hopefully i can get a proper test ride in the next day or two.
IMAG0465.jpg

proof of concept. still need to solder it all together.
IMAG0471.jpg

Re: gulf themed cruiser - Le Mans

done, i think. though i hope to stencil firestone onto the tires before xmas. decided against the tank idea after seeing mom/dads trailer hitch bike rack and decided it would interfere with hauling the bike anywhere. thanks to a link someone here posted, to sheldon browns website, i found a diagram of my rear hub and figured out my problems (left out a bearing and a washer...) this also fixed my rear center alignment issue. mounted the headlamp. made a little bracket to hold the fender better. just a U bolt that i heated in the center and bent 90 degrees to span two holes that didnt quite match up. overall I'm pretty happy. I rode it around and its plenty smooth ( guess degreasing and cleaning every bearing and then using new grease will do that). Its not perfect (got some paint chips already) and it isnt exactly what i wanted to do (more makeover than new build) but i think it looks great and I think dad will be thrilled to ride it. after the ride i felt it could use a layback seatpost, but will wait to see if dad thinks he wants one.
DSC04377-1.jpg

DSC04384.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

DSC04387.jpg

i decided it needed some more...
made a stencil on sticker paper and put it on the tires
IMAG0490.jpg

a little flat white paint...
IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

It was pretty easy. I found the firestone logo in png format online and messed with it in MSpaint until i got it to the size i wanted. I printed it out on the sticker paper you can buy at office supply stores in the paper section. it has an adheasive backing. used a very sharp utility blade to cut out the lettering and then cut each letter out in the blocks you see on the first pic. I just eyeballed the lineup and they arent perfect. someone good in photoshop could probably make them at the right curve and eliminate some of my steps. i used blue painters tape to mask the rest of the wheel and the spaces between letters. just hit it with spray paint in flat white. i used a heatgun on low setting from several inches away for a few seconds to set the paint before removing the stencil.
i had hoped the stencils would last more than one use but the paper rips easily after it gets painted and i had to make 4 stencils.
I got this idea from a vw website called hoodride a few years back. mostly people who like ratty style vws. they had made a stencil in the good year style that said hood ride with a trucker girl replacing the wing foot.

Great work on the tire lettering!
You should seriously post that in How To section!!!

Back