gulf themed cruiser - Le Mans - DONE(ish)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've been lurking around for a long while and thought i would post my first build.
I snagged this bike from my dad earlier this year. he had bought it in the early 90s when i was a kid. he had been transferred by his job and was working several hours away from us and coming home on the weekends and he bought this to have something to do in the evenings. Its mostly sat in a barn for almost 20 years. I saw it while looking for something else and grabbed it. now my mom and dad have gotten into riding on some country roads most evenings. he has a nice Gary fisher he rides but he said he only uses one or two gears. I had meant to turn this bike into a ratrod for myself but i decided i would make something with some style for him to ride around the river and take to the beach. I had decided on a cream/orange/gold theme but his "intense dislike" for university of Tennessee football said I needed to do something else. I decided on Gulf racing Livery . Its one of my favorite color combos and I thought it would look different and unique.
here is probably the most famous use of these colors:
Ford-GT40-P-1074.jpg

please ignore filthy garage.
fresh out of the barn:
IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

disassembled:
IMAG0320.jpg

sanded down the few rough spots on the frame and made a template for a tank. probably going to make it from wood and paint it if i decide to do it.
IMAG0325.jpg

there is a local shop ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Recycles/169485096407322)that takes old road bikes and makes fixed gear bikes. I know the owner and stop in looking for take offs and such occasionally. he had some bars that i couldnt decide between so i took both sets for $10 and ordered and orange chain.
IMAG0321.jpg

i'm just using off the shelf paint from home depot but i think this is pretty close.
IMAG0335.jpg

I painted the fork already too. I hope to not use this fork in the end but i painted it just in case and for later mockup purposes.
IMAG0338.jpg

I would love a monarch style springer for this build but It would blow my budget out of the water. I considered buying a triple tree for my felt chief and using the beefier style fork from it but this frame is 1 inch headset and the felt is 1-1/8

these came in the mail a few days ago. for the head tube and chain guard.
IMAG0334.jpg

a friend gave me a bmx three piece crank with a sweet forged sprocket but i dont think I will use it as I dont have all the parts and i guess i would need some sort of conversion.

here's where I am at as of today:
been cleaning the metal parts with a wire wheel on a drill. once all the rust is knocked off they will need prep work and paint. been cleaning the wheels with the wire wheel as well. most rust has been no more than surface rust. a few spots had slightly deeper rust but i was able to sand it out no problem. I did learn that a wire wheel will strip flesh from a leg just as easily as rust from metal (ouch).
one wheel is cleaned up and spokes sanded. the other is about half done.

plan is: orange wheels/black spokes and hubs/whitewall?or slicks
frame mostly blue with orange at the headtube and down the top of the top tube. orange around bottom bracket. all orange outlined with black pinstipe.
fork all orange or depending on final fork choice.

needs: Fork, fenders (maybe just order the felt shorty fenders), some sort of headlight i think, tires, pedals ( might canniballize the wellgos i bought for my felt)
buget: originally i was trying to build under $50 but i think that is almost unreasonable since I dont have a huge store of parts to pull from. I am aiming for sub $100. currently I've spent $25.....

DONE(ish):
DSC04387.jpg

more done(ish)
IMAG0493.jpg

Re: gulf themed cruiser

Great idea. The Gulf logo sure brings back memories of great times in american auto racing. Steve McQueen's porsche wore those colors in the movie, "Le Mans".

I think his porsche in that movie was #20. was thinking of fabbing up a number plate with 20 on it.
no work since the last post, at least none on the bike, all in my head, and browsing for ideas on fork/tires.

Your Gulf themed bike is coming along great!!!!!!!! Thought you might like to see this pic, your orange fork & blue frame align to this themed board track racer drawing. Great work!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see more progress..... - Gary

577634_462244650458592_1156677490_n.jpg

cool project, I collected Gulf memorabilia for years and still have a stack of different size decals if you need a special size, let me know.
My entire collection was sold to Rich Gannon the Quaterback a few years back.

Gary Mc thanks a ton for that pic. makes it much easier to visualize colors on the bike. it also confirrms that a brown seat and grips will look nice. i have some vintage leather left over from a chair i recovered a while back and was planing on using it on the existing seat with some rivets to break up the blandness of it. picture does make me want to spring for a monarch though.....

kz1000, those that i bought on ebay are slightly smaller than I wanted originally, but the next size i found was 4 inches in diameter. I have held them up on the frame and i think they will be okay expecially with an orange stripe on the headtube. I might be interested in a few other sizes though for rc cars.

Here's the Felt version I thought I'd share for inspiration as well. You can see they did not go for a Gulf licensing agreement and just mimic'd the style & colors. Yours will be much better with actual Gulf logos. I do really like the striped bobbed fenders and striped chain guard on this one as it kind of looks like the stripes on the great Gulf racing themed cars (Porsche 917s & Ford GT40s). I couldn't find it last night but did this morning.

DSC04476.jpg

Here's the actual Steve McQueen Porsche 917 from the movie "LeMans". It is now owned by comedian Jerry Seinfeld. By the way I'm a huge Gulf livery Porsche 917 & Ford GT40 nut and have several different 1/18 diecast versions of these cars so anything Gulf racing inspired catches my attention very quickly.

steve_mcqueen_and_jerry_seinfeld_porsche_917_6.jpg

I had seen ( and fallen in love with) that felt. I have a chief and love the ride. Would have bought the Lemans but it wasnt available. my buddy bought a beautiful auto-art aston martin model in gulf racing Livery at the LeMans race at VIR a few weeks back. I begged but he wouldn't part with it.

I have a question about the head tube/steering tube. can a headset for 1 1/8 inch be used in the frame that came with 1 inch? I could disassemble the chief a bit and find out but it seemed less work just to ask. If so I think I will just pull the stuff from my felt and replace it with a triple tree. that keeps me technically on budget, right?

worked a little while tonight, mostly on the headtube. I decided to see how close the fit of the headset off my felt would be in this frame. It was close enough that I thought it would fit with some gentle coaxing but i decided to us the dremmel and grind out just a little because i didnt want to risk cracking the headtube. fit was good, could of used a tad more grinding though because now i dont want to hammer it out for future painting so i guess I'll just make it off when i get that far. fork steer tube is *just* long enough. did a quick mock up with the fork/stem/bars/wheels on the frame. now to find a new fork and headset for the chief. a few pics:

The chief just prior to donating its front end parts, along with my other "bike".
DSC04253.jpg

mock up 1, this will be the bar set up i use since it will make for a more comfortable ride for dad
DSC04254.jpg

mock up 2, if it was for me.....
DSC04255.jpg

sad felt, awaiting a new front
DSC04256.jpg

I love my bonnie. Shes had a few modifications of her own...
IMG_20110619_205751.jpg

thanks for the other gulf bikes for inspiration. I love how long and low that last one looks.

Here is another gulf bike. Funkme's '67' from RRBB07.

04082012649.jpg

small update: still cleaning up parts for paint. lots of time with a wire wheel. lots of scuffing and cleaning. started to prime some of the bare metal parts and the spray can just stopped functioning for some reason.
no new pics because there wasn't much to take pics of.

Back