Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
29'ers can run 700c tires so a 40 might work fine

The Onyx wheels I have seen were kind of a mixed bag. They shipped with 8 to 10 loose spokes per wheel. Still and all, they ran true! The rim is a super deep "V", and seems really stiff, but sounds a little like plastic when tapped. I would strongly recommend tensioning all the spokes to prevent the wheel from self destructing. Having said that, the price is OK for what you are getting. Tons better quality that the "OP Cruiser" they were selling a while back.

If you wanted something a bit more traditional looking, 28 x 1-1/2 English roadster rims would likely fit. Caution! They are made in 32, 36 and 40 spoke versions! The 32/40 are used on the front (32) and rear (40) of Raleigh DL-1's and similar old roadsters. The 36 spoke version is used on some modern roadsters, allowing the use of more common 36 spoke hubs. The ISO is 635, 13mm larger than a 700c. So they only extend ~6.5mm further into the frame than a 700c. The 28 x 1-1/2 tires are fairly narrow (~40mm). Several tires are available in creme, black and black with a red racing stripe.

A bit of a pain to source, but they can be found without too much hassle. I have seen them used on a couple cruisers which originally ran 28's to good effect.

RIMG0191.1.JPG

Finally got it assembled mostly, still got a little to do with it.
IMG_3310-1.jpg

IMG_3312-1.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

Wow great job on the paint!Looks awesome!

Just got one myself...before
p3a.jpg

and after...
P3c.jpg

or should I say during...not quite done with it yet. Here she is with the tank and the homemade truss rods installed, and the fender bobbed...
p3hb.jpg

I had an unforseen setback, shore wise. The bikerack won't hold the bike now! The tank gets in the way. If you go this route, invest in a bike beam, kind of a temporary top tube. It's usually used on girl's bikes.
p3k.jpg

This also will give you an idea on how big this thing is 8)

Bigcam59 said:
Just got one myself...before
p3a.jpg

and after...
P3c.jpg

or should I say during...not quite done with it yet. Here she is with the tank and the homemade truss rods installed, and the fender bobbed...
p3hb.jpg

Nicely done!

Skipton said:
kingfish254 said:
Nicely done!

What he said...... Bike looks great love the fender and the truss rods 8)

I didn't even notice the fender before, That makes a big difference. Sweet!

I finally saw one of those at Walmart last night, I love everything about it but I couldn't get it unless I finally sell some of my stuff to make room for it.

I have never picked up a bike so light before especially one with big 29 inch wheels, they also had a La Jolla bicycle but with a different frame then the ones I usually see.

i am slowly working on upgrades for mine..... i have gotten a set of black baby apes with custom grips (the chrome will eventually be white to match)and a skull shift knob mounted on the gooseneck, a new front crank(including black metal pedals), and a new seat. I actually rode it hard the other day and snapped one of the factory pedals clean off.

IMG00094.jpg

IMG00097.jpg

I just bought one of these. Does anyone know if a Felt Abraham springer will fit ? The tire size and steerer tube length are my main concern.

I also bought a set of rims from a Genesis 29er MTB to get the front disc and 36 spokes, so I'm hoping someone makes a disc friendly rocker too.

MHF

onyxchopper31 said:
i am slowly working on upgrades for mine..... i have gotten a set of black baby apes with custom grips (the chrome will eventually be white to match)and a skull shift knob mounted on the gooseneck, a new front crank(including black metal pedals), and a new seat. I actually rode it hard the other day and snapped one of the factory pedals clean off.
IMG00097.jpg

I know that skulls brother! FUN!

426840_3383183747222_1498326880_33247416_1317046900_n.jpg

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53104&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

here's what i've done with mine so far. i bought it secondhand without fenders or chainguard, and we've had this chainguard kicking around our bike shop for the past year or so, so i got out the dremel and drill and made it fit.

581978_2035748286541_317927622_n.jpg

375668_2035748806554_1989368716_n.jpg

Just picked one up myself off CList gave the guy 40 bux and a skateboard i bought at a yard sale for 20 :wink:

downsize5-1.jpg

Not sure What im going to do with it yet , but it seems to have a BB problem ?

It's a 3 piece crank, so any bike shop should be able to replace the original with a cartridge bottom bracket and eliminate any problems. 8)

Bigcam59 said:
It's a 3 piece crank, so any bike shop should be able to replace the original with a cartridge bottom bracket and eliminate any problems. 8)

I have a sneaky feeling it's prob. just a matter of taking it apart and greasing the bearings ? i'v heard stories about '' bike mechanic's at WALL WORLD :|

Latest posts

Back