Free bikes from an old bike shop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Shop went out of business in 1960s when the owner died. Lots more parts including wooden wheels. All given to me.
IMG_3375.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

Very cool! If you ever want to sell a set of wooden wheels let me know.

Actually they are just the wood rims. They look new. I will probably build them up. I have to inventory and tag everything. A few boxes of stuff plus old wheels and sheet metal. I also have 2 more bikes to pick up that they just found, might be junk but I told them I would clean out the shop so it can be used again. I might have to go back with my trailer and just take out 55 years of broken household castoffs. Part of the price to pay for free stuff. I will probably give most of this away to local bike nuts.

Actually they are just the wood rims. They look new. I will probably build them up. I have to inventory and tag everything. A few boxes of stuff plus old wheels and sheet metal. I also have 2 more bikes to pick up that they just found, might be junk but I told them I would clean out the shop so it can be used again. I might have to go back with my trailer and just take out 55 years of broken household castoffs. Part of the price to pay for free stuff. I will probably give most of this away to local bike nuts.
Willing to give away to non local RRBers, willing to pay shipping?
Had to ask.

+1.... I need a boys 26'' Schwinn springer steer tube fi u have one and I will pay for it!!!

I will look. We just had a wedding and relates are hanging around so I am not allowed to stick my nose in bikes until next week. I don't think I do , one box is full of old grips the others have a lot of bits.

Willing to give away to non local RRBers, willing to pay shipping?
Had to ask.
Thats a possibility, might sell but it would be reasonable. I have several buddies that can't seem to find non cantilever frames and they have given me a lot of parts and done free work on my hydraulic disc brakes so I owe them. There are more frames than I can use as I am maxed out on bikes. I will probably play musical bike parts with this stuff and some of the bikes I already have. If I can build one or two for myself I will have to eliminate an equal number of bikes from my collection just to make room. You probably wouldn't be interested in what I would eliminate. The first to go would be a 70s cantilever AMF with a Shimano 333 three speed, a camel back later Hercules (after Raleigh took them over) Frankenbike and a late 50s Raleigh built woman's Western Flyer. The AMF I could sell but no one around here would want these others so I will probably give them away to the local co-op. I like to keep my bikes down to 22 and I have 25 now. I seem to give away at lest two a year to make room for better ones. I also do some repair on old bikes and paint a few frames for friends. I work for beer and cost of parts. I really don't want the work but the local bike shops don't have the old parts or the desire to fix stuff like vintage speedometers. I rebuilt several from junk speedometer parts I had. Replaced wheel generators etc. I am out of generator and speedometer parts now. People want me to dip their frames in my phosphoric acid bath too. Don't tell anyone you have old bikes.

Any springers in this batch? Or part. Please tell me more about the phosphoric acid bath. What do u use and how it works

I use a medium sized Jet Sled. They are heavy duty plastic and are used for hauling stuff in the winter. They can be hauled behind 4 wheelers or snowmobiles or snowshoes. I bought two on sale at MC Sports. One for our camp for hauling in provisions in the winter and the other larger one for hauling firewood from my stashed piles to my wood shed when it gets used up in the winter. In the summer I put rusty bike frames in it. I use water and PH Down for the phosphoric acid. It is powered so shipping is cheap. https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-pH-Down-Oz/dp/B000FG0FA4
The warmer the summer temperature the better it works. Gets too slow in the Fall.

Here is a photo of my Jet sled with a 1957 Schwinn American and a Huffy soaking in it. The medium size is pretty big.
IMG_0978.JPG

Dealing with a bunch of junk seems worth it for some of the parts you got. I could be wrong, I don't know the quantity of junk. Either way, great score. Good luck.

I see a prewar synder fastback(zep style) frame set probably 37/38 and the 40/41 schwinn dx challenger original paint. Nice pick ups for free!

I will look. We just had a wedding and relates are hanging around so I am not allowed to stick my nose in bikes until next week. I don't think I do , one box is full of old grips the others have a lot of bits.
If so that will be great... This one had a repair and a Schwinn stem is to big. Great score!! the hard part is choosing what to keep

Latest posts

Back