First Ride in 50+ years: 2023 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First Ride in 50+ years: French Fries and Fixie kids

Hey Luke, They both liked the meatloaf so I guess it was good :D

Thanks MadzaFlyer. I wish they were for you too. I feel lucky that I can hang out with FIL and FILB since my Dad is no longer around.

So last Sunday (21Apr13) it was still too snowy out to ride like I wanted to. So we went to Wendy's so FIL could have his ice cream (in shake form) with his hamburger. It was funny that if I buy him fries at Bridgemen's, he always says he doesn't want to eat them but at Wendy's, I just put them out for both of us and he chows on them :lol:

While we were eating I saw 2 kids outside, 1 on a nice fixie and the other one throwing snow balls at him. The were both laughing their heads off and so was I.

We headed over to Sunrise Cyclery again because I wanted to look for some specific parts. George was totally up for it :D
They have done a nice job of cleaning and reorganizing since they moved in. There was the nice mech and now they had a room where they was a repair class going on. No where for FIL to sit but he was looking around and not doing his shutdown robot imitation so it was all good. Found just the odd part I was looking for so that was awesome (aluminum quill, non-roadbike style) and some white grips: $6 Wahoo!

This week we've gone from 4" of snow on Monday to 75F yesterday :shock: So we are planning on going for a ride tomorrow for the first time this year (and since his wipeout last fall). I don't think he will remember it and I guess that's good. No wet leaves on the ground like last fall. My wife asked him if he wanted to ride and he was enthusiastic so that makes it worth it. :D

Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: French Fries and Fixie Kids

It's great that you pay attention to his needs and are attentive to his "shutdown" but does it linger after you move on to other things? Just wondering. He grew up in a time when people waited quietly and politely when they got bored, maybe he's just being polite and letting you get your stuff done.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: French Fries and Fixie Kids

looking forward to pictures!

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Riding Again

LukeTheJoker said:
Looks like he is doing pretty well!
Cant wait to see him on a bike again, just hope you can keep up!
Luke.
You're right, He is doing pretty well, he's slowly adjusting in good direction
You'll get your chance now...

yoothgeye said:
It's great that you pay attention to his needs and are attentive to his "shutdown" but does it linger after you move on to other things? Just wondering. He grew up in a time when people waited quietly and politely when they got bored, maybe he's just being polite and letting you get your stuff done.

It's interesting that you say that. More than lingering, it repeats.
I agree with you that we sometimes forget that people grew up with a more strict interpretation of "manners".

Think some of it has to do with his self-proclaimed worrying
and another factor is his increasing lack of hearing (and refusal to get hearing aids)
I also notice that in some of his mannerism, he is very polite
but then the little kid in him shows up shortly there after and it all falls apart :lol:
Whatever it is, it's just him and that's okay

Randy I'm happy he was excited too, and it seemed like more than just DQ too :D

Jerry, please see below...

So the weather was very nice last Sunday (29Apr13) so we tried a ride
I got my Royce Union ready because I haven't rode it in ~1.5 years (It looks better than it rides)
Rode it down to FIl's house and we went to get his bike checked out
He asked if he was going to ride "this bike" (the JC Higgins) and I realized he didn't remember it was his bike
I felt bad but just decided to explain that it was his bike that he used for riding to DQ last year

We got everything ready and we took off. He did great and I tried to give him wide turn angles after last fall's tumble
Pretty sure he doesn't remember it and that is actually better than him worrying about it
He was a natural again (and very relaxed) and I took a quick ride shot early
IMG_0110II.jpg

Using the hand signals worked well again and we were having a great time
Then my bike wiggled and POW! FIL says "What was that?!"
I said my tube blew out and we need to start walking back :cry:
He wasn't too bummed out and seemed to roll with the punches

We got about a block by the park and I thought maybe I could have him sit and wait there
while I rode his bike home and get the car (then "on to DQ")
He said that would be fine (what a trooper!) and I tried not to worry to much and ride fast
IMG_0111.jpg

Got the car and he looked at me kinda funny when I pulled up, then I waved and he recognized me
Fill helped me take apart the bike a bit and get it into the trunk and away we went
He was very happy to get a medium strawberry sundae (on Sunday, right Yoothgeye :lol: )
IMG_0112.jpg

80% of the people at DQ came on their bikes and it was packed :shock: :D :D
We'll be back (with bikes) for more next weekend so I can't feel bad
The small amount we rode, he rode very well and was in a great mood :D

We both had great time in the warm sunshine!
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Riding Again!!

I always look forward to following FIL. That was a great sight to see him on his bike again. I wonder if DQ knows how big a fan FIL is. Ever since I started reading this thread, I can't help buy think about you guys when I ride by a DQ. Thanks once again for the update.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Riding Again!!

This is a truly inspirational thread; thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: DQ and River Ride

Yeah Luke, he really does love DQ, would go multiple times a day if he could :lol:
Thanks Kingfish! DQ and FIL are now becoming synonymous
Thanks Zyote Litle, you bet
We'll keep them rollin' Kevin!

Got the knobbby tires off of FIL's bike, no need and it will roll better
So it was the first time I had the aluminum wheels, easier gearing and the smoother H1 tires
It seemed to be setup the best so far and I shook it down so no surprise flat tires :lol:
IMG_0220.jpg

last Sunday (5May), the weather was nice again so we made the best of it
FIL was jazzed to get going and hopped on quickly
IMG_0221.jpg

He seemed very comfortable with the new setup and could accelerate quickly (perfect!)
IMG_0222.jpg

He has some serious hearing loss but he always cocks his head and listens when a Harley is loudly riding near by
It usually makes him remember and comment on his HD and Square 4 (I like the HD roar too :D )

DQ was busy which is great for the long term owner who knows FIL by name
IMG_0225.jpg

It's fun to watch what other people are riding to DQ, this little guy was doing great and had no fear of the busy intersection :D
IMG_0224.jpg

The fixie hipsters (in the last shot) rode up on these nice bikes (I guess you can be cool and enjoy DQ too :lol: )
IMG_0226.jpg

So I asked FIl if he wanted to ride down by the river and he was up for it
The bike path was pretty busy and the road bikes were flying by us
But FIL is good at sticking to single file and staying to the right
IMG_0228.jpg

We eventually got off the path and headed home on a nice quiet street
Did our ~ 5mile ride and it went well and I think he enjoyed (and me too!)
Since it was so nice and we are still celebrating spring finally arriving, we hung around outside for a while
Poppy joined us and FIL enjoyed doing his word find (South America Vaquero) in the warm sunshine
IMG_0230.jpg

So we are fully back to our Sunday rides and DQ and it feels really good :D
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years:DQ and River Ride

Awesome Steve, glad the weather finally broke for you guys! Now we can get back to reading the adventures of FIL!

That is very cool!
I love that the owner of DQ knows him by name now!

FIL really does seem to do well when he is out riding, is doing the wordfind a regular thing? That should help keep his brain active, may help slow the progression of the Alzheimer's...

Luke.

awesome. as always, enjoying the pictures and story lines. awaiting the next update.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Cool Weather, Cool Shades

I'm happy about the weather too Diablo67, thanks for staying tuned

Thanks Luke, yeah actually the owner still remembers him from 5 years ago
when he was still driving and got DQ twice a day :roll:

He really likes the word finds (like my Dad did too)
Think it helps him concentrate on other things and overall less memory loss
FIL has just dementia so it will not eventually take his life like Alzheimer's does
Alzhiemer's is what my wife's Mom died from recently, which also has symptoms of dementia

Thanks Jerry! I really like your adventures too. The Mother's Day video was awesome and pretty funny
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=72597&p=703924#p703924

It was a little cooler last Sunday (12May) but still lots of Sunshine
Outfitted with his warmer cap and shades, he was ready to go
I had to take this shot as I came around the corner, he looks kinda gansta :lol:
IMG_0364.jpg

He still talks about his HD but also mentions that he likes the exercise of biking :D
Think the gearing and smooth tires really work well for him
Easier, especially if windy and then more enjoyable
IMG_0365.jpg

Not quite as busy at DQ with Mother's Day and the traffic in general was lighter
He had his Med Strawberry Sundae and i had my mini blizzard, mmmm
IMG_0366.jpg

Did our 5 mile River Ride and everything went smoothly
I Like the side streets a bit more because I can ride next to him
instead of always checking behind me, but he does follow with few problems

Noticed the repetition is less when he is riding :D
so I think the concentration he uses to ride is helping again
I been waiting since we stopped riding last Fall to get him back "In The Zone"
IMG_0368.jpg

Got back and just hung out with Poppy and talked about having to start cutting the grass soon
IMG_0369.jpg

Glad to be riding with FIL again, I think we both enjoy it
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: First Ride in 50+ years:Cool Weather, Cool Shades

FIL is stylin'!! 8) 8)

Nice pics, Steve! :D

Back