First restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1953 Schwinn (Something?)
6_zpsbaf7998a.jpg

They are only original once!! Just give her a nice cleaning and wax and she will be beaut!!! That old paint cleans up nice!! And rebuild mechanically!! My .02

Yeah, the paint is too nice on that one to do a restoration. I'd shine her all up and leave it. Find an old cool bike with house paint for your first restoration!

I thought about keeping it original, but I'm missing some parts anyway plus it has some dents I want to straighten out. It's a '53 24" mystery bike (still haven't pinned down exactly what model), so I don't feel too bad about shining it up :D
I'm pretty excited to get 'er goin'!

Looks like a DX to me. I have a '46 Schwinn DX 26" boys bike. They are cool old bikes and ride like a dream. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it!

Thanks Terry. I've been told it's a DX, but I don't really know what that means. Is there any information out there on them? Does the X mean we don't know what model it is (or does it not have a name as it's a mid/lower level bike)?

The model name is dx thats all. No mystery x about it lol. Id sell that bike or trade it and buy a decent boys ballooner or means ballooner with the coin. 24in bikes especially with tanks are kinda scarce to be honest.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to tinker with this one. Shouldn't have to put too much $ into it, but I am on the market for a boys tank ballooner. The trick is to find one that won't break the bank :wink:

Back