first cruiser build - here we go ......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will be my first cruiser build .... have an idea in my head on design but from my past experiences with building cars i know it never ends up that way , LOL ..... from the info i have gathered so far from the helpful folks here its a late 60's , early 70's huffy frame .....same age as me, LOL....have a donor bike to strip for parts, and im off to the races.....

Picture087_zps85007eb2.jpg

Picture079_zps02dd20cf.jpg

Picture077_zps651c4cf1.jpg

Picture088_zps9098946a.jpg

Picture092_zpsc42afd8d.jpg

Picture099_zps0d487bcb.jpg

Picture102_zps2d64c0b7.jpg

Picture107_zps2ac53ff5.jpg

Picture110_zps5929db0b.jpg

here is the original seat that came on it - says persons usa on it

Picture075_zps42162608.jpg

also got these with it - guy took them off to repaint - they were caked with grease and rough but cleaned up nicely

Picture116_zpsbc4422bc.jpg

Picture117_zpsc7643b28.jpg

** i have this set of handlebars off the donor good vibrations bike that i think i like better , than the black ones it came with
Picture072_zpsbe4efd30.jpg

the seat was original to the bike the guy that i got it from said . id like to look into a vinly repair kit to fix the small flaw there , or recover it , if i can find right cover .... his wife had found it rusty and beaten in a barn her friend had purchased - he took and " restored it" , which consisted of sanding , primer and paint - all from spray paint cans, yucky color, and not the best prep work done ...majority of the original parts were given to me , greasy , rusty and in a walmart bag - was a craigslist deal .....

randallace said:
any real way to find out what color this was originally ? besides sanding down ?
you can pull off the forks and check the steerer tube for original color,as most factory painted bikes get over spray on the steerer and inside the BB seat and head tubes,worth a check

been looking around at pics and am considering mild ape hangers - maybe 13" ? trying to envision how that would look .....

ok got that nasty fender off and the rear tire assembly switched on there ....getting closer to the look im going after , a little bit ....
Picture128_zps8bd4df6c.jpg

[img}http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad110/vshocktrooper/Picture129_zps34ce9678.jpg[/img]

clearance is a little tight , LOL

Picture130_zps82ff210e.jpg

Picture132_zps73b20cc1.jpg

but over all looks great on there
Picture133_zps691f77bc.jpg

randallace said:
yes i thought so ....... do they make bananna seats for these big bikes ? just curious
Yes they do! Just type 26 banana into an eBay search box... :wink:

Luke.

I like your new tires and your original seat. I think I have the same bike. I love the heavy frame. The cantilever tubes are an 1/8" larger than my Murray's. I don't have a badge either but searching for Huffy Camaro Bike I saw a couple with tanks and a small decal over the tank light. Not many pics online of that "mag" chainring / chain guard combo. Seems most had chrome fenders but mine are like yours.

Mine has 3 coats of rattle paint and 1 coat of rust. :mrgreen:

file_zpsd01b4363.jpg

and this , changes the look quite a bit , but what to make inserts out of ?? opinions please ??

*edit* - i had one guy suggest diamond plate steel , and thats great, but heavy , they make that in lightweight aluminium ?

Picture159_zpsab3f355c.jpg

Picture163_zpsfca174e2.jpg

Back